Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:29 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,167 times

Advertisements

As someone who loves and admires Asian culture, I was wondering what do Asian people themselves think of people who like/admire their culture/people. I know sometimes here in the US our like of certain things like Anime, Martial Arts, Food, etc can come across as stereotyping or focusing on cliches, but many people do genuinely want to learn more about Asia and it's people. Do Asians like it when people display a interest in Asian culture or is it seen as "appropriation" or "intrusion"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 09:28 AM

210 posts, read 200,035 times
Are you asking about Asians living in Asian or in the West?

From my experience, I would say that Asians in the West tend to get very territorial and borderline racist towards outsiders particularly Whites, who dare venturing into Asian cultures. It's just something many love to hate. A good example is the polemic created over the choice of a Caucasian female actor to take on Ghost in the Shell's main role.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:48 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post

From my experience, I would say that Asians in the West tend to get very territorial and borderline racist towards outsiders particularly Whites, who dare venturing into Asian cultures. It's just something many love to hate. A good example is the polemic created over the choice of a Caucasian female actor to take on Ghost in the Shell's main role.
Huh no. That's just Hollywood racism at play. Instead of hiring an Asian female actor, they decided to put a blonde woman in a hideous wig. That has nothing to deal with being territorial.

Personally I can't care less about Westerners being interested in Asian cultures ...... why would I anyway?

Old 06-04-2017, 09:50 AM

387 posts, read 357,967 times
most are flattered. asians also admire western achievements and civilization. if you meet a militant asian in the west, he/she was probably indoctrinated in college classes or by peers to think that way. as long as the person who likes asian culture is respectful, there should be no problem.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:12 AM

509 posts, read 484,679 times
Quote:

As a "white" who has worked almost exclusively with Asian people in both Asia and the United States for the past 25 years, spent years in Asia, lived in an Asian-majority city in America for the past 7 years, have been employed by Japanese, Korean, and Chinese companies in the past, and seldom even have an opportunity to speak to a non-Asian face, I can very comfortably state that the quoted comment above is absolute bunk, hokum, and malarkey.

Except the part about Scarlett Johansson passing herself off as Japanese, which has to be one of the most inane casting decisions ever made. Perhaps not as bad as, say, Kevin Spacey donning blackface to play Martin Luther King, but almost. You don't have to be Asian to criticize that.

In my experience, however, Asians do chaff at being lumped altogether as "Asian". Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese don't have the same cultures and don't especially like each other much. There is no such thing as "Asian culture", any more than Swedes, Portuguese, and Romanians are the same culture.

Most Asians I know have been very supportive and encouraging in my efforts to speak their languages, observe their holidays, and understand their cultures. The only people I ever had trouble with are the ultra extreme right-wingers in Japan, who aren't very different from what you might find on the Stormfront racial forum in America, except they drive around in black trucks with loudspeakers playing war songs and giving incendiary speeches at busy streetcorners. But every country has its jerks, and America is no exception to that rule.

I do think there is a weird fetishization of aspects of Asian culture, from insulting and gross mischaracterizations like "me so hawney" to Rosie O'Donnell saying "Ching chung ching chung" on TV to approximate the Chinese language to the bizarre anime subculture in the west, in which spoiled little rich white girls (and effeminate boys) try to pass themselves off as authentic Japanese or Koreans (Scarlett Johansson doesn't even go that far) by perpetuating some of the dumbest stereotypes of all.

I think the average American is fairly-to-completely ignorant of Asia and its various cultures, and nobody likes ignorance. Talking to some living-and-breathing Asian people is probably the best way to overcome that.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:41 PM

210 posts, read 200,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
As a "white" who has worked almost exclusively with Asian people in both Asia and the United States for the past 25 years, spent years in Asia, lived in an Asian-majority city in America for the past 7 years, have been employed by Japanese, Korean, and Chinese companies in the past, and seldom even have an opportunity to speak to a non-Asian face, I can very comfortably state that the quoted comment above is absolute bunk, hokum, and malarkey.

I think the average American is fairly-to-completely ignorant of Asia and its various cultures, and nobody likes ignorance. Talking to some living-and-breathing Asian people is probably the best way to overcome that.
I have never traveled to any Asian country before so I can't talk about it, but I have encountered many Asians in the USA and that was what my post was about. I know Asian cultures are very different from one another, and some are more welcoming to foreigners than others. It seems like you spent some time in Japan, which is probably one of the most open Asian countries to foreign cultures. People there were probably more welcoming to you since being White American makes you unique there. However, I'm sure I am not teaching you anything new by saying that those originating from non-White poor countries are not always as welcome.

When foreigners become involved in their culture, Japanese sometimes become racist. There are many manga artists across the world, nonetheless a non-Japanese artists published in Japan is something nearly unheard of.
Sumo has had some encounters with blatant racism Media outside Japan must stop normalizing sumo as an ethno-sport | The Japan Times

On a personal level, I used to practice Japanese martial arts, and on a few occasions I heard one of my sensei ranting against "evil" Westerners for corrupting traditional Japanese martial arts. The sad thing is that I heard similar stories before. I quit Asian martial arts for Western fighting sports, more efficient and less BS

In regards to that Ghost in the Shell polemic, I really don't understand why the role had to go to an Asian actress just because it is a Japanese creation. Does that means that all Shakespeare's plays must have an all WASP cast because, heck, Shakespeare was English? That would sound like a KKK statement, to be honest.

Your location reads San Gabriel Valley, home to the largest Asian communities in the US. I know that area very well, and know that the businesses operating there are fully staffed by Asians, and will only consider hiring an outsider if a fellow country person cannot do the job.

I am by no means trying to say that Asian people are all bad. I've met many lovely Asian people of many different countries. However, one can't overlook a certain insularity.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:03 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,587 times
In my travels to Japan, they could not have indulged my interest in their culture any more than they did.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,337 times
In America I've found that Asian Americans can be a bit overly PC. When I was in Japan, couldn't be further from what I found. Same with Korea. Japanese are so polite, and accommodating that even if they hated you you'd never know. They will stare at you a lot.

Koreans aren't as polite overall but are very happy if you've taken the time to learn the language.
Also, they like that their music and shows have gone global. They like to share how awesome they are with the world. I'm glad they do!

I notice in Japan even Japanese Americans aren't considered Japanese. But in Korea, if you are Korean American you can blend back in better. They are more open to your bloodline than the Japanese who are more into your birth place.

So, those Japanese Americans who think it's not PC for others to like Japan and anime, etc, but ok for them will be a bit shocked to find they are treated the same in Japan as any westerner. Foreign. Thankfully, Japanese people are very tolerant of foreigners and aren't PC at all.

The Japanese who are into Anime will like you, and the ones who aren't will tolerate you. Same with Martial arts, food. They youth in Japan are pretty open to new experiences and flattered that you like them. After all, it's flattering isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utE5iqvNA0k&t=361s

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOM...ao6yGaXc954U0w
There are several shows that ask around Japan questions like the one you've asked. You can see for yourself.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:30 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
In regards to that Ghost in the Shell polemic, I really don't understand why the role had to go to an Asian actress just because it is a Japanese creation. Does that means that all Shakespeare's plays must have an all WASP cast because, heck, Shakespeare was English? That would sound like a KKK statement, to be honest.
It's the same as blackface. 'Nuff said.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:07 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,969,392 times
Trying to stereotype a continent of 3.3 billion people seems kind of strange. The individual countries have their own characteristics and often don't like their neighboring countries, and have gone to war to prove it. The Japanese are known as the Germans of Asia...and everyone knows the Germans are the smartest people in the world; just ask them. 26 different bins for recycling? A bit OTOP. I could goon..like the Filipinos being like the Puerto Ricans or the Chinese mainlanders being g the hillbillies of Asia, but I won't. Read up on DARLIE .....has a 79% market share in some nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia