Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bangalore, Goa, and Pondicherry - Which would you like to get to (you can choose more than one answe
Bangalore 6 16.22%
Goa 18 48.65%
Pondicherry 9 24.32%
None of those, but interested in other locations in India 8 21.62%
Not interested in India 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:56 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Bangalore, Goa, and Pondicherry - which India destinations would you like to get to?

Bangalore has the distinction of being one of the most progressive cities in India, and one of the few that actually has bars to get a beer. A real rarity in India.

Goa...well, hippies and European beach tourism and rave parties....and the Portuguese influence that permeates all of the culture there.

Pondicherry...the little French town on the other coastline...with a ton of French architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 10:57 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
probably goa since i want to try the food there

Old 06-11-2017, 02:47 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Kerala. Your poll didn't give us enough choices.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Kerala. Your poll didn't give us enough choices.
I've heard a lot of great things about the people of Kerala. Basically that they are some of the nicest people around, and travelers have to deal with the least 'India-frustrations' that they might in other areas. Have you heard anything like that?

What is your appeal to Kerala?

Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 AM

317 posts, read 373,427 times
Kerala seemed to be my favorite state. We were only in Cochin but the countryside seemed relatively clean. The backwater boat tours were very relaxing and Le Meridien hotel was a great find. I live in the Middle East and it seems like half of Kerala is in the Gulf and they probably send all their money home boosting the economy.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:06 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Bangalore has the distinction of being one of the most progressive cities in India, and one of the few that actually has bars to get a beer. A real rarity in India.
All the Indian big cities have pubs and lounges that serve alcohol. I'm most familiar with Kolkata.

I'm not into beer though. So, I don't remember what kind of selections of beer they serve. Indians tend to prefer scotch, whiskey, gin, brandy ... though sorts of drinks.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
All the Indian big cities have pubs and lounges that serve alcohol. I'm most familiar with Kolkata.

I'm not into beer though. So, I don't remember what kind of selections of beer they serve. Indians tend to prefer scotch, whiskey, gin, brandy ... though sorts of drinks.
Interesting about KolKata.

I did visit Sri Lanka, and I did see the wealthiest classes in some very distinct bars. They usually did that, the men would buy bottles of expensive whiskey, scotch, etc. Than everyone with them, including the usual female colleagues/co-worker types would join them, and sometimes drink a little bit as well them, but mostly just socialize and dance.

Based on Colombo, it seems a very strong 'with your group' type of drinking.

Although, granted, I suppose most places are a bit more like that as well.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Interesting about KolKata.

I did visit Sri Lanka, and I did see the wealthiest classes in some very distinct bars. They usually did that, the men would buy bottles of expensive whiskey, scotch, etc. Than everyone with them, including the usual female colleagues/co-worker types would join them, and sometimes drink a little bit as well them, but mostly just socialize and dance.

Based on Colombo, it seems a very strong 'with your group' type of drinking.

Although, granted, I suppose most places are a bit more like that as well.
I have family in India. So, that helps with the social aspect. In Kolkata, the Park Street area is known for its pubs, lounges and restaurants. You see a considerable number of foreigners there. Some of the pubs regularly have local bands playing there as well.

Certainly in the other rich megacities like Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore, you're going to have a lot of people with money who are into a more western lifestyle and are big into nightlife. In most of the smaller cities, towns and outlying areas, very few people can afford it. So, you're not going to see it much if at all.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have family in India. So, that helps with the social aspect. In Kolkata, the Park Street area is known for its pubs, lounges and restaurants. You see a considerable number of foreigners there. Some of the pubs regularly have local bands playing there as well.

Certainly in the other rich megacities like Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore, you're going to have a lot of people with money who are into a more western lifestyle and are big into nightlife. In most of the smaller cities, towns and outlying areas, very few people can afford it. So, you're not going to see it much if at all.
This is challenging my preconceived stereotypes on Indian people in India...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slz1yVfJTmE

Maybe they ONLY dressed up to make this video...but other videos I've seen where young Indian women are very hesitant to even wear western clothing in public let alone, skirts as some of the women are wearing in this video.

Interesting, for sure!

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-15-2017 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Maybe they ONLY dressed up to make this video...but other videos I've seen where young Indian women are very hesitant to even wear western clothing in public let alone, skirts as some of the women are wearing in this video.

Interesting, for sure!
From this model shoot in Mumbai, I think it's fair to say that some young Indian women have no qualms about exposing themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuci84LLOHk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia