Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 975,900 times

Advertisements

Another blow to TW

Panama establishes ties with China, ditches Taiwan in win for Beijing | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,507,591 times
That was heroic of Panama to talk all that $$$$$$ from China.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:26 PM

It is Panama begging china to have relationship. Moderator cut: personal attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That was heroic of Panama to talk all that $$$$$$ from China.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-16-2017 at 07:24 AM..

Old 06-13-2017, 02:58 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,869,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
It is Panama begging china to have relationship.
Hmm. I'm not sure about that. China is aggressively pursuing relationships in Central America as those countries are the last Taiwanese holdouts.

I think Panama made the smart decision, Americans and other westerners can't really complain, we ditched Taiwan for China decades ago. Chinese ships were already allowed passage through the Panama Canal as well.

All those countries maintain relations with Taiwan through trade missions, which is basically the same thing as a consulate. China requiring everyone to only "recognize" them is a little silly and no one really takes it too seriously. It's easier for me to travel to and do business with Taiwan, but we don't have diplomatic relations? We also sell Taiwan weapons, but no diplomatic relations? What's the point, that's not rhetorical, I'm truly curious why.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-16-2017 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 06-13-2017, 03:01 PM

you cannot understand. TW is just a province of CHina. it has always been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Hmm. I'm not sure about that. China is aggressively pursuing relationships in Central America as those countries are the last Taiwanese holdouts.

I think Panama made the smart decision, Americans and other westerners can't really complain, we ditched Taiwan for China decades ago. Chinese ships were already allowed passage through the Panama Canal as well.

All those countries maintain relations with Taiwan through trade missions, which is basically the same thing as a consulate. China requiring everyone to only "recognize" them is a little silly and no one really takes it too seriously. It's easier for me to travel to and do business with Taiwan, but we don't have diplomatic relations? We also sell Taiwan weapons, but no diplomatic relations? What's the point, that's not rhetorical, I'm truly curious why.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
you cannot understand. TW is just a province of CHina. it has always been.
Ok. I understand that is the official position of China and many Chinese believe that, but it's not reality. Taiwan is self governing and the only way I see it truly becoming a province again is through an invasion and then occupation by China. I don't see that happening either.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:09 PM

Occupation will happen if US does not intervene. With the growth of China overtime,
US will have no capability to intervene. At that point, TW will have no choice but to reunite with mainland

Quote:
Ok. I understand that is the official position of China and many Chinese believe that, but it's not reality. Taiwan is self governing and the only way I see it truly becoming a province again is through an invasion and then occupation by China. I don't see that happening either.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:38 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,315,245 times
Lol part of China. End of discussion.

Understandable decision for panama, but quite sad overall that China is pushing neutral countries into those positions and they cannot maintain relartionships with both countries. Kind of stubborn-child-behaviour.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Occupation will happen if US does not intervene. With the growth of China overtime,
US will have no capability to intervene. At that point, TW will have no choice but to reunite with mainland
I'm petty sure the US (and many other countries) will attempt to stop the deaths of millions of people. But I just don't see the Chinese government doing that, they are not stupid. The risk is not worth the reward. If China invades Taiwan, those people will hate China forever regardless of what the US does and every other country on the planet will not trust China for a hundred years.

The only way China will get anything worthwhile is through peace, and that's going to take time. China would be best not to make Taiwanese people hate China, but China seems to be doing the opposite. I just don't understand China's actions.

Do you force food into a baby's mouth or wait for the baby to become hungry? If you force the food, it will become a huge mess. China just needs to be patient, if Taiwan chooses to rejoin China in the future, the rest of the world, including the US won't care.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:48 AM

I don't see any risk for Chinese government. Without US intervention, it is a matter of hours before TW surrenders. TW's military is a joke, and taiwanese have no will to fight. Check their own polling,
less than 1% of the population is wiling to join the military if the war breaks.

What China is doing with TW is very effective. Look at TW's economy over the past 10 years. It is a slow death for TW if it does not reunite.

Quote:
I'm petty sure the US (and many other countries) will attempt to stop the deaths of millions of people. But I just don't see the Chinese government doing that, they are not stupid. The risk is not worth the reward. If China invades Taiwan, those people will hate China forever regardless of what the US does and every other country on the planet will not trust China for a hundred years.

The only way China will get anything worthwhile is through peace, and that's going to take time. China would be best not to make Taiwanese people hate China, but China seems to be doing the opposite. I just don't understand China's actions.

Do you force food into a baby's mouth or wait for the baby to become hungry? If you force the food, it will become a huge mess. China just needs to be patient, if Taiwan chooses to rejoin China in the future, the rest of the world, including the US won't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia