Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 02:52 AM

420 posts, read 469,028 times

Advertisements

I've been curious about where they shoot Filipino movies in the Philippines. Is it mostly in Manila or it varies? I read the big studios are in Quezon City. I'm curious if the "Hollywood" of the Philippines is based in Quezon City. I read that the Philippines is second only to Japan when it comes to cinema. I thought that was impressive.

Where do the Filipino "stars" live? What's the "Los Angeles" of the Philippines? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 05:10 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
There is not a Los Angeles in every country.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:57 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,806 times
That is a good question, while we are in the Philippines every year my wife watches lots of Filipino movies and I never bothered to see where any are made. I know they have Bigfoot in Cebu and also film maker KFTV in Cebu and a quick lookup found the below
Philippine Film Studios Inc. in Muntinlupa City
and Wiki lists a lot of them which seem to be all over the Philippines but I would guess the majority of movies made in the Philippines are made somewhere in Manila since most of the movies are in Tagalog. Most Filipino films seem to be shot on location, I do not think there is an area like Hollywood but I did find the below.
10 International Films Set in the Philippines

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 06-24-2017 at 07:07 AM..

Old 06-24-2017, 07:04 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I've been curious about where they shoot Filipino movies in the Philippines. Is it mostly in Manila or it varies? I read the big studios are in Quezon City. I'm curious if the "Hollywood" of the Philippines is based in Quezon City. I read that the Philippines is second only to Japan when it comes to cinema. I thought that was impressive.

Where do the Filipino "stars" live? What's the "Los Angeles" of the Philippines? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
No particular neighborhood...all spread out....but usually living in Quezon City or Makati.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:15 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
I guess you could say that the Manila area is the New York, Los Angeles and Washington DC of The Philippines combined. In a way like 'Hollywood" goes from Hollywood/Los Angeles to Culver City up into the San Fernando Valley as the headquarters of the film industries. While its films are made from Canada and throughout the states, each out bidding the others to bring in production.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:52 AM

I was told Manila is expensive. I was thinking Quezon City was actually in Manila but now I think it is its own city (or suburbs as they say). Which has affordable condos: Quezon City Vs. Makati? Both cities are about 10 miles apart, so it's not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
No particular neighborhood...all spread out....but usually living in Quezon City or Makati.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:18 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I was told Manila is expensive. I was thinking Quezon City was actually in Manila but now I think it is its own city (or suburbs as they say). Which has affordable condos: Quezon City Vs. Makati? Both cities are about 10 miles apart, so it's not too bad.
To use your Hollywood example. If you were at Paramount Studio in Hollywood(Los Angeles) and wanted to see a stars home in Beverly Hills and go to MGM-Sony lot in Culver City, maybe Universal City (Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley) You will just be travelling along and only if you look very very closely you might notice the street signs change hue or the police have a slightly different patch on their uniform. If just speaking about the general area you might say "the southland", you might say Los Angeles or other things.

Even though there are like 88 cities in Los Angeles County many do not have the look of, or the feel that you have made it to a suburb.You just crossed a line on a political map that often has nothing to do with geographic features. Metro Manila, Greater Manila, National Capital Region, ... is much the same as Los Angeles in this aspect.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:08 PM

14 posts, read 37,931 times
Quote:
I read that the Philippines is second only to Japan when it comes to cinema. I thought that was impressive.
In Term of What ?? lel

Old 06-30-2017, 07:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Not just the center of the film industry, but the economic center of the entire country! Everything in the Philippines revolves around Manila.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:21 AM

I forgot where I read what I read but I think it was in terms of either amount of movies made per year at that time or amount of movie goers per year at that time. This was in the early days of film making perhaps, not recently. I think during the world wars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejojo View Post
In Term of What ?? lel

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia