Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 03:46 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,401 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed Mania (my wife is filipino) but I must admit that I got tired the "hey Joe" greeting that seemed to happen every 5 minutes thruout the day. Now granted I'm a 6'4" Scandinavian but still...

Manila is fun but I we much prefer Bangkok if you are looking for a very big fun packed city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 03:54 PM

732 posts, read 779,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I enjoyed Mania (my wife is filipino) but I must admit that I got tired the "hey Joe" greeting that seemed to happen every 5 minutes thruout the day. Now granted I'm a 6'4" Scandinavian but still...

Manila is fun but I we much prefer Bangkok if you are looking for a very big fun packed city.
Bangkok is big but not as big as Metro Manila.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:33 PM

90 posts, read 111,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
hahaha I see LRT2 manila is still different from Jakarta LRT, although it is wider but interior so defferent the Jakarta LRT train interior ( still better than LRT2 ) , a bit different Jakarta LRT *pass through a few apertements while Manila LRT not
Manila LRT2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3EPABT3NA

LRT Jakarta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOdLdXhF-fI
so sad with all pinoy comment huh,Philippines usually buys second-hand or cheap trains and most manila lrt or mrt passes through 'ruko kumuh' no one passes through the apartment or skyscraper that's why is the design, interior , train or station manila different from jakarta

Old 12-11-2018, 12:14 AM

1,117 posts, read 841,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnycaritta View Post
so sad with all pinoy comment huh,Philippines usually buys second-hand or cheap trains and most manila lrt or mrt passes through 'ruko kumuh' no one passes through the apartment or skyscraper that's why is the design, interior , train or station manila different from jakarta
The MRT passes through 2 major business districts, Makati and Ortigas, so they're very much connected to apartments, skyscrapers, etc.

If you get out of the train at Makati, you can walk for several kilometers in Makati CBD without having to worry about cars, the sun, or the rain. Makati CDB has a series of connected elevated walkways that connect from the far end of the CBD all the way to the Ayala MRT station. So apartments, shopping, dining and entertainment are all connected to each other and to the MRT station.

I'm not talking about pedestrian bridges like you have in Jakarta. I'm talking about a series of elevated walkways to get around the city, like the ones below.

There are also many underground walkways

So unlike Jakarta, the city is much more pedestrian-friendly. You can live and work in Makati or BGC without a car.

Ortigas (the third major business district) is also building elevated walkways, and they have several MRT stations too

Last edited by manolopo; 12-11-2018 at 12:32 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 AM

and just on an aesthetic level, Makati CDB is more attractive than anything in Jakarta or even Bangkok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6BirfxkfAs

you can also see the underground walkways towards the middle of the video. See how walkable the whole place is? Jakarta has nothing that looks like Makati. CBDs in Jakarta are built along huge highways and mostly cater to cars, not pedestrians

Old 12-11-2018, 01:17 AM

1,002 posts, read 906,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnycaritta View Post
hehehe ,I argue with pinoys is there are claims of them that the Jakarta LRT similiar a 2 manila LRT, I don't see any resemblance .
Look at this Interior of MRT Jakarta Super Nice fase I ( but i don't like desain MRT train ) ... cooming soon 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OQkiNp4dk0

Old 12-11-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
hehehe ,I argue with pinoys is there are claims of them that the Jakarta LRT similiar a 2 manila LRT, I don't see any resemblance .
Look at this Interior of MRT Jakarta Super Nice fase I ( but i don't like desain MRT train ) ... cooming soon 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OQkiNp4dk0

The differences are that the one in Manila is slightly wider and has poles in the middle. Also, not as much glass. The trains are older. We've had LRT/MRT for 20 years already. But the LRT2 looks at clean and comfortable as your new trains. It also helps that they're wider. LRT 2 also has several TV monitors in every carriage. They show commercials, and they also show what the next stop is and what landmarks are at each stop

Here's the LRT 2 in Manila, and you can see the exterior and interior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLIiEpvSITM
You can see the TV monitors toward the end of the video

Old 12-11-2018, 06:29 AM

They still keep thinking that their LRT is the best in SEA, quite funny tbh.

To borrow from a comment on Youtube from a Singaporean named Ali Yahya "Filipinos have their own LRT for a long time and yet not arrogant like the Indonesians. Jakarta LRT is still under development and yet many Indonesians creating video on Youtube and claim theirs is the best and start to compare and insulting Malaysians LRT which already existed 20 years ago. I'm Singaporean btw..."
https://youtu.be/YD3EPABT3NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
and just on an aesthetic level, Makati CDB is more attractive than anything in Jakarta or even Bangkok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6BirfxkfAs

you can also see the underground walkways towards the middle of the video. See how walkable the whole place is? Jakarta has nothing that looks like Makati. CBDs in Jakarta are built along huge highways and mostly cater to cars, not pedestrians
Ikr, with the establishment of Makati subway(different from the Metro Manila subway), this would look and feel even more like first worldish financial city like New York or Tokyo not just on a developing SEA level.

Last edited by neMarL; 12-11-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
The differences are that the one in Manila is slightly wider and has poles in the middle. Also, not as much glass. The trains are older. We've had LRT/MRT for 20 years already. But the LRT2 looks at clean and comfortable as your new trains. It also helps that they're wider. LRT 2 also has several TV monitors in every carriage. They show commercials, and they also show what the next stop is and what landmarks are at each stop

Here's the LRT 2 in Manila, and you can see the exterior and interior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLIiEpvSITM
You can see the TV monitors toward the end of the video
Actually it's been already 34 years since LRT1 was established. Looks like the interval of building new line in Manila is one per decade. Had it been shorter say 5 years a new line is added, Manilas MRT system would have been as extensive as Singapores if not more.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:24 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
They still keep thinking that their LRT is the best in SEA, quite funny tbh.

To borrow from a comment on Youtube from a Singaporean named Ali Yahya "Filipinos have their own LRT for a long time and yet not arrogant like the Indonesians. Jakarta LRT is still under development and yet many Indonesians creating video on Youtube and claim theirs is the best and start to compare and insulting Malaysians LRT which already existed 20 years ago. I'm Singaporean btw..."
https://youtu.be/YD3EPABT3NA

Ikr, with the establishment of Makati subway(different from the Metro Manila subway), this would look and feel even more like first worldish financial city like New York or Tokyo not just on a developing SEA level.
don't dream makati will look like New York or Tokyo. The two cities are modern cities with complete facilities, the community lives prosperity , integrated transportation, development gets direct costs from the government and does not borrow ..* this is very different from makati/manila who lack funding and the people still live in poverty,except like Singapore, their city claims like New York / Tokyo are more reasonable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia