Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:19 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Woo View Post
but the northern Jiangsu is very poor.
No, that's a common misunderstanding.

Jiangsu North of of Yangze river, if it were a province on its own, would still be richer than all Chinese provinces except 3 or 4. You can do the calculation.

North Jiangsu is by no means "very poor". It is poorer than South Jiangsu, which is almost an outliner in the Chinese context with a per capital GDP exceeding 20000USD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 02:22 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,524 times
Depends on what you interpret as "advanced". If your just looking at GDP and financial data, yeah Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces are up there. If you mean advanced as in culture and people, I would say Guangdong, although there are many poor areas in Guangdong, esp when you go North or West of Guangzhou. I don't think wealth defines "Advancement" but it depends on what sort of answer your looking for. I know many people in Jiangsu and Zhejiang who are "advanced" financially, but are not very advanced socially or intellectually.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:03 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Depends on what you interpret as "advanced". If your just looking at GDP and financial data, yeah Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces are up there. If you mean advanced as in culture and people, I would say Guangdong, although there are many poor areas in Guangdong, esp when you go North or West of Guangzhou. I don't think wealth defines "Advancement" but it depends on what sort of answer your looking for. I know many people in Jiangsu and Zhejiang who are "advanced" financially, but are not very advanced socially or intellectually.
You are kidding if you think Guangdong has more cultural than Jiangsu. The gap is even more greater if one talks about culture.

Guangdong has probably one decent and reputable university, the entire province with 100m people. Jiangsu has at least half a dozen. Jiangsu also produced far more intellectuals in history or in modern China. There is no competition between the two.

Jiangsu has also several historic sites with thousands of years of history. Guangdong?

Is there culture in Shenzhen for example? That will give some good laughs.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:53 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You are kidding if you think Guangdong has more cultural than Jiangsu. The gap is even more greater if one talks about culture.

Guangdong has probably one decent and reputable university, the entire province with 100m people. Jiangsu has at least half a dozen. Jiangsu also produced far more intellectuals in history or in modern China. There is no competition between the two.

Jiangsu has also several historic sites with thousands of years of history. Guangdong?

Is there culture in Shenzhen for example? That will give some good laughs.
I agree that Jiangsu is much more widely developed then Guangdong. But I think you go too far in diminishing Guangdongs culture and history. The Pearl River Delta has been heavily populated for a long time and has been an important trade area for a long time as well. Well before the age of colonization.

Jiangsu's culture and history has been better preserved then many places. The numerous water towns are some of the neatest places in China. I think the fact that they are wealthy has given them an advantage of rebuilding many historical towns. Jiangsu has also seemed to preserve the past better then many other places, a lot of China has demolished the old to make way for the new. Beijing for example demolished entire neighborhoods that are hundreds perhaps a thousand years old to build new crappy apartments.

Last year it made national Chinese news when a Russian architectural street was demolished in Harbin. There was an old Russian bridge on that same street that was nearly demolished, but local protests came in and stopped the demolition. That brought it to national attention the need to start preserving more of their history. China has really upped the game on making new historical building designations and they put a department in charge of stopping local governments from destroying historically important buildings or other assets.

China has an incredible history, but they are very good at destroying that history. It's quite sad how much they demolished. Most "ancient" buildings or towns in China aren't really ancient, they are completely new reconstructions. A lot of people don't realize that.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 AM

7 posts, read 8,790 times
Beijing Shanghai Guodong

Old 09-01-2017, 07:49 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,524 times
If your looking at advancement today of people and society, Guangdong is way ahead of Jiangsu/Zhejiang in that regard. Try living in those provinces for a few years and the difference in people, mannerisms, they way they look at and treat outsiders, as well as real education, and you will see the difference.

I know Botticelli is a Chinese national and loves his possible hometown of Jiangsu, but just being wealthy (esp in China) for my opinion would not be considered more advanced. Historical scholars from a specific area hundreds of years ago doesn't mean that province today is advanced. Just my thoughts.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:46 AM

46 posts, read 43,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Guangdong doesn't have a higher GDP per capital than Jiangsu. Jiangsu is almost 20% higher than GD. GD is not even number 2 or number 3.

And as you said, Jiangsu does not have any poor cities or counties. while Guangdong has plenty.
but how to explain there are 16 Province- level poor counties in Northern Jiangsu?
if u think Jiangsu is advanced than Canton as Canton has more poor counties. but why u deliberately ignore the truth that Zhejiang has no poor countie? Zhejiang has higher capita disposable income than Jiangsu and Canton, even Tianjin. why double standard?

when the advanced part of Canton(Zhujiang delta) compare Jiangsu (southern part), absolutely Canton wins. because Canton has two first tier cities(Guangzhou and Shenzhen). if Shanghai was still a part of Jiangsu. Jiangsu wins.

Last edited by Rex Woo; 09-01-2017 at 09:23 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 10:04 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,635 times
LOL. Westerners have no clue about China but they still pretend they know everything.
Guangdong is probably the No1 from the bottom in terms of culture among all Chinese provinces.
Cantonese are often looked down upon for their lack of culture

Quote:

Old 09-01-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Woo View Post
but how to explain there are 16 Province- level poor counties in Northern Jiangsu?
if u think Jiangsu is advanced than Canton as Canton has more poor counties. but why u deliberately ignore the truth that Zhejiang has no poor countie? Zhejiang has higher capita disposable income than Jiangsu and Canton, even Tianjin. why double standard?

when the advanced part of Canton(Zhujiang delta) compare Jiangsu (southern part), absolutely Canton wins. because Canton has two first tier cities(Guangzhou and Shenzhen). if Shanghai was still a part of Jiangsu. Jiangsu wins.
Where do you find the county by county data? I think it's called Guangdong now.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
If your looking at advancement today of people and society, Guangdong is way ahead of Jiangsu/Zhejiang in that regard. Try living in those provinces for a few years and the difference in people, mannerisms, they way they look at and treat outsiders, as well as real education, and you will see the difference.

I know Botticelli is a Chinese national and loves his possible hometown of Jiangsu, but just being wealthy (esp in China) for my opinion would not be considered more advanced. Historical scholars from a specific area hundreds of years ago doesn't mean that province today is advanced. Just my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
LOL. Westerners have no clue about China but they still pretend they know everything.
Guangdong is probably the No1 from the bottom in terms of culture among all Chinese provinces.
Cantonese are often looked down upon for their lack of culture
I think it's a slippery slope to try to say which culture is more advanced, nothing good can come from that conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia