Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,018,594 times

Advertisements

Are you by chance Kpop fan?

There's no reason to believe Korea is better than Japan unless the "world" to you is Samsung and Kpop only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 08:45 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
I understand what the OP is saying. SK punches above it's weight in most cases whether it's education, economy, Olympics etc.. considering it was one of the poorest countries in the world only in the 50's.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,084 times
Not even a battle.

SK is less than half the population and economy and, outside of the N. Korean crisis, has zero influence on the world stage. It has very limited respect amongst world nations and peoples.

Japan has a very high international reputation and is viewed as a modern, civilized, and refined nation and none of those qualities are associated with S. Korea and with good reason.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:20 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Not even a battle.

SK is less than half the population and economy and, outside of the N. Korean crisis, has zero influence on the world stage. It has very limited respect amongst world nations and peoples.

Japan has a very high international reputation and is viewed as a modern, civilized, and refined nation and none of those qualities are associated with S. Korea and with good reason.

Out of all the countries in the world, South Korea is in 5th (!) place in the number of its companies listed on the Forbes Global 2000. Not bad for a country that is ranked only in 27th place by population. That, alone, would indicate that it is a player on the world stage. (To be fair, Japan is ranked No. 3 on the Forbes list and No. 11 on the population list. The United States is ranked No. 1 on the Forbes list -- by a huge margin -- and No. 3 on the population list.)

As far as it being not modern, the only people who think that are those whose image of South Korea comes solely from watching M*A*S*H. Anyone who has walked the streets of Seoul -- heck, anyone who has seen a photograph of Seoul -- knows that it is indeed a modern country.

And as far as South Korea not being civilized or refined, to an extent that's a matter of subjective interpretation. Personally, I think that both of those descriptions fit. I cannot say whether Japan would be more so, because I have not been there. Given Japan's sterling reputation in those areas, I would have to assume that it is so. But saying that Japan is more of something than South Korea is not at all the same as saying that South Korea lacks those qualities.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 PM

280 posts, read 339,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I understand what the OP is saying. SK punches above it's weight in most cases whether it's education, economy, Olympics etc.. considering it was one of the poorest countries in the world only in the 50's.
South Korea reminds me of the student who is brash but really talented whom the teacher doesn't like and is lazy but achieves 80% of what Japan does. Japan is more of that geeky meek quiet fella who studies all day and night and gets outstanding marks.

True, South Korea has basically achieve what it has today by copying/modelling itself on what Japan had, in almost all of its industries and also being a former colony. I read an interesting book once on how Japan learnt its lessons on South Korea and the Taiwan experience and how they stopped it again from happening in the rest of South East Asia.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Not at all to diminish South Korea's achievements . . . but have you seen pictures of Japan at the end of World War II? "Barren wasteland" sums it up quite nicely.

The fact is, both Japan and South Korea have done amazingly well for themselves.
Japan was hardly a barren wasteland. A few cities suffered major devastation, but that doesn't apply to the whole country.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Japan was hardly a barren wasteland. A few cities suffered major devastation, but that doesn't apply to the whole country.
A total of 67 Japanese cities were bombed during the war, with most of them suffering extensive destruction.

Japanese Cities

IIRC, the only two major Japanese cities that were spared were Kyoto, due to its historical and cultural significance; and Kokura, which had been slated to be the target of an atomic bombing and thus was not attacked with conventional bombs. (Atomic targets were not bombed conventionally because the American planners wanted to be able to gauge the effects of the atomic bombs on their targets.)

Look at it this way: if America's 67 largest cities were to be bombed, and assuming that No. 68 Newark, NJ would get blasted during the attacks that would cream New York, that means that the largest city remaining intact would be Greensboro, NC. Personally, I would consider losing every city larger than Greensboro to be pretty darn close to being a barren wasteland.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:42 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
A total of 67 Japanese cities were bombed during the war, with most of them suffering extensive destruction.

Japanese Cities

IIRC, the only two major Japanese cities that were spared were Kyoto, due to its historical and cultural significance; and Kokura, which had been slated to be the target of an atomic bombing and thus was not attacked with conventional bombs. (Atomic targets were not bombed conventionally because the American planners wanted to be able to gauge the effects of the atomic bombs on their targets.)

Look at it this way: if America's 67 largest cities were to be bombed, and assuming that No. 68 Newark, NJ would get blasted during the attacks that would cream New York, that means that the largest city remaining intact would be Greensboro, NC. Personally, I would consider losing every city larger than Greensboro to be pretty darn close to being a barren wasteland.
yeah but Korea was under their rule for 35 years. I won't go into too much detail what the country suffered i.e. comfort women, resources being plundered, years of democide etc... I think it's safe to say Korea suffered more at least from a psychological standpoint while Japan for a brief moment was destroyed due to their own invasion of Pearl Harbor.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:14 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
yeah but Korea was under their rule for 35 years. I won't go into too much detail what the country suffered i.e. comfort women, resources being plundered, years of democide etc... I think it's safe to say Korea suffered more at least from a psychological standpoint while Japan for a brief moment was destroyed due to their own invasion of Pearl Harbor.
Not just "under their rule" or a "colony", but rather occupied Korea.

Korea didn't "copy" Japan as much as Japan forced its culture on Korea.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:28 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,856 times
In terms of cultural soft power, yes - I understand your point. Everyone knows Samsung and K-Pop, don't forget how popular Gangnam Style was. Korean dramas, makeup, and e-sports are all gaining popularity in the West; Korean students come in large numbers to study in the states. Culturally, I think South Korea is much more relevant than Japan. In economic terms, not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia