Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 02:05 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times

Advertisements

The B-visa (tourist visa) rejection rate for Bangladesh is extremely high: 62.82% in 2016
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...Rates/FY16.pdf

Since the US$160 visa application fee is non-refundable no matter the applicant is granted or rejected, if I were a Bangladeshi citizen, I would save that money ($160 is quite a lot to them) and the trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:44 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Green card lottery is stupid. No immigration policy should be based on nothing but pure luck. Trump will get rid of it and I think that's the right thing to do.

The majority of H1bs are those who studied in the US and are already in the US. Very few can actually apply from abroad.

Jus Soli citizenship is also stupid. I know many Chinese women go to the US deliberately to have babies. Don't blame them, blame the stupid policy that encourages this kind of behavior. At least it should require either parents to be a US resident, not just a tourist.

Man you are way angry at the world.

The diversity visa lottery - allowing people from Iceland, Zimbabwe, Borneo, Somalia, and all over to get into America and contribute is the BEST immigrant program, period.

Importing thousands of people from the same few countries based on their identical professional qualifications and similar skill sets does not compare.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:49 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Doesn't matter, some countries have dignities. They reciprocate what you offer. As a westerner you might want preferential treatment just because "my country is wealthier" but most countries are not dumb enough to give you that, no matter whether you want to stay illegally or not. If the US wants a visa, then countries like China, India, Brazil and Russia will expect a visa from Americans for the same fee. Whether you want to overstay is irrelevant. If you think it is too expensive and too much work, then don't go, they don't mind.

when you say reciprocal policy makes little sense, you are saying "my country can treat people from other countries as thieves, but they can't treat me like one because I am from a rich country". That makes little sense.

Regardless of your theoretical world which doesn't exist, most countries trade rights and ease of entry based on factors way beyond some simplistic notion of "dignity". Hence, the massive value difference between a German passport and a Philippines passport, for example.

https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php

What you are saying - promoting some ideal normative notion as fact instead of just a fantasy - that's what makes no sense.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Man you are way angry at the world.

The diversity visa lottery - allowing people from Iceland, Zimbabwe, Borneo, Somalia, and all over to get into America and contribute is the BEST immigrant program, period.

Importing thousands of people from the same few countries based on their identical professional qualifications and similar skill sets does not compare.

Some fellow poster may get mad at Green Card Lottery because it is not open to citizens in every country. For instance, citizens of Mainland China, India, Philippines, Mexico,.....etc are not eligible this year.

Usually the country with the larger backlog is denied the lottery.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:49 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Some fellow poster may get mad at Green Card Lottery because it is not open to citizens in every country. For instance, citizens of Mainland China, India, Philippines, Mexico,.....etc are not eligible this year.

Usually the country with the larger backlog is denied the lottery.
Well, Chinese are extremely well-represented in the United States already.

So, yeah, the Green Card Lottery is to bring in people from countries that are poorly-represented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia