Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 05:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times

Advertisements

Of course it would be interesting to see a country like Bangladesh.

But the visa cost is way up there...around US$150 for Americans...probably high for other nationalities as well. The rise of Islam extremism as well, more riots, and the 'death of bloggers' that seems to keep hitting the news.

It seems it makes more sense to just go to India itself, or Sri Lanka or somewhere...rather than Bangladesh. The visa costs alone, seems like they really want to discourage tourism, but not real apparent reason why that would be...

Thoughts on Bangladesh being worth the many hurdles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 12:50 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,572,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

But the visa cost is way up there...around US$150 for Americans...probably high for other nationalities as well. The rise of Islam extremism as well, more riots, and the 'death of bloggers' that seems to keep hitting the news.

It seems it makes more sense to just go to India itself, or Sri Lanka or somewhere...rather than Bangladesh. The visa costs alone, seems like they really want to discourage tourism, but not real apparent reason why that would be...

Yea the ongoing murders of free speech advocates, atheists, agnostics - and others who don't toe to the islamofascist line, really doesn't argue for Bangladesh as a tourist destination cf India. And both have good food so no advantage there either.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:17 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,488,213 times
better off going to west bengal. Safer and not islamic.

South asia should reunify under a secular democratic government with a uniform civil code and english as one of the official languages.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
better off going to west bengal. Safer and not islamic.

South asia should reunify under a secular democratic government with a uniform civil code and english as one of the official languages.
Yep, and Kolkata looks very interesting!

It seems like Islam is going through some serious issues, I doubt if India would want to be reunited with Bangladesh, would they?

I get the impression that they (non-Muslim Indians) really prefer 'them' going 'over there'...

Old 10-10-2017, 01:22 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,739,906 times
Quote:

They charge $150 for visa ONLY because your government charges them the same amount. If the US grant them visa free, they will do the same. So blame Washington.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
They charge $150 for visa ONLY because your government charges them the same amount. If the US grant them visa free, they will do the same. So blame Washington.
A lot of anger in that post...ahm. Okay.

Anyways, Bangladesh charges something similar for Australians, British, Europeans, etc. as well.

They can charge whatever they want, but they lose much-needed tourist dollars.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,739,906 times
Quote:
A lot of anger in that post...ahm. Okay.

Anyways, Bangladesh charges something similar for Australians, British, Europeans, etc. as well.

They can charge whatever they want, but they lose much-needed tourist dollars.
I am not angry... I am not from Bangladesh.

What I am trying to say is, countries like the USA demand visa from all developing countries and charge high visa fees, and people have to suck it up, yet when Americans need to apply for visa and pay a fee, they whine about it as if it is totally unreasonable and beneath them. Do you know how much $150 means for a person in Bangladesh? many people don't make that much in a month. Speaking of much needed tourist dollars, I don't see Europe and the US worry about it and waive the visa requirement either.

6 years ago my mother had to jump all sort of hoops just to get a visa to see me in Canada - she ended up spending 3 month doing a medical exam, can you believe that? (although she has no intention of living there). Now I am living in France, and finds Schengen visa is so complicated and requires so much paperwork for them to visit me. Visa is part of our life, and that's it. Being a poor country like Banglaseh doesn't mean it should be easy for people from rich countries to come easily (although Thailand does that since they only want tourist money, no dignity).

Old 10-10-2017, 03:30 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,461,053 times
From what I’ve read on internet it seems like one of the worst possible holiday destinations ever. Just incredibly poor and crowded.

I doubt that cancelling the visa application fee would boost their tourism at all. It’s a country many don’t consider visiting at all in their entire life. It’d probably be better to milk out of the existing ones.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am not angry... I am not from Bangladesh.

What I am trying to say is, countries like the USA demand visa from all developing countries and charge high visa fees, and people have to suck it up, yet when Americans need to apply for visa and pay a fee, they whine about it as if it is totally unreasonable and beneath them. Do you know how much $150 means for a person in Bangladesh? many people don't make that much in a month. Speaking of much needed tourist dollars, I don't see Europe and the US worry about it and waive the visa requirement either.

6 years ago my mother had to jump all sort of hoops just to get a visa to see me in Canada - she ended up spending 3 month doing a medical exam, can you believe that? (although she has no intention of living there). Now I am living in France, and finds Schengen visa is so complicated and requires so much paperwork for them to visit me. Visa is part of our life, and that's it. Being a poor country like Banglaseh doesn't mean it should be easy for people from rich countries to come easily (although Thailand does that since they only want tourist money, no dignity).
This argument is like saying that when we go to a car dealership, the FERRARI and the KIA should be the same price, after all, they are both cars.

People are jumping hoops to get to USA and/or Canada because hundreds of thousands of other people are doing the same thing...it stresses all of the agencies constantly processing all of the paperwork. These countries also offer something else - i.e. possibilities of high paying jobs, citizenship, well-known education, desirable laws for emigration, etc. Go to any US Embassy, and you'll see lines out the door of people trying to get in. Meanwhile the U.S. Embassies have to process and research all of the applications because of anti-American terrorism, fraudulent marriages, fraudulent ID thefts, people visiting without the intention of actually just visiting, the list goes on and on.

Go to to the...ahmm...Mozambique one (which I did do), and it's just an elevator button and an office in a regular building that is almost completely empty and without security. Nobody is around, hardly anything for them to do, they'll talk with you for an hour over a cup of tea, if they could. Anything to kill the time. You might be the only person they see that day.

(Contrast that to the U.S. Embassy, and you'd be lucky to schedule even 5 minutes of time, on a one month waiting list, even for U.S. citizens).

Old 10-10-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
From what I’ve read on internet it seems like one of the worst possible holiday destinations ever. Just incredibly poor and crowded.

I doubt that cancelling the visa application fee would boost their tourism at all. It’s a country many don’t consider visiting at all in their entire life. It’d probably be better to milk out of the existing ones.
That's basically what they are doing. Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia