Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Pattaya - Beaches are VERY mediocre. It's known for its sex industry, but you see the exact same thing in Bangkok and Phuket anyways, but have a lot better beaches in one and tons of city amenities in the other. I'd skip Pattaya.
I agree, beaches at Pattaya aren't all that great. Lot of bars there too, but then same for Phuket and BKK. Since the OP mentioned Pattaya as a destination to visit, it would be okay for a stop on the way to Siem Reap, and is a lot closer than say going to Siem Reap from Phuket. There are other features around Pattaya besides the bars, hookers and beaches. There's a gigantic Buddha image on the side of an enormous cliff, a nice aquarium near Bang Saen, a simulated Floating Market with loads of craft item shops, the Temple of Hell with loads of grotesque freaky statues and Monkey Hill (you can feed the monkeys but don't try to pet them - they have big fangs and can bite) both near Bang Saen, and more.
https://www.thailanddiscovery.info/w...taya-thailand/
Pattaya Floating Market - Pattaya Attractions
Amazing Thailand - Bang Saen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 02:11 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,377 times
Is it feasable to include Bali?

Old 11-01-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Is it feasable to include Bali?
Sure, you could fly to Bali. How long the flight would be will depend on where you fly out from and how much time you want to spend at each of the other locations on your revised list. There are flights to Bali from nearly all major cities in SE Asia with an international airport. Never been there, but from what I see online, it's about a 4h 15m flight from Bangkok, about 3 h from Malaysia, and from Jakarta about 1h 45m. Take a look at Bali on Google Maps. Then scroll out, way out, until you see how far Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, or Jakarta are. No idea what the cost of airfare would be even for budget airlines. Are you planning to travel alone, or will you be you going with others?

Here's a suggestion to try to determine the best itinerary for yourself ---

You've got 40 days to play around with. Right?

- Divide 40 by the number of locations you want to visit.
That will give you a rough idea of how much time you'll have to deal with each place.

- Not done yet. Keep in mind that you'll have to travel between destinations.
So that means subtracting travel time from the total amount of time to spend at all places.
That will reduce the amount of time you'll have to spend at each place even more.
(Travel times will vary - some longer, some quicker. Also, travel time between points will depend on how you travel, ie, plane, train, bus, etc.)

- Also, take into account time spent at airports and terminals, and taxi rides between the airports and hotels. (That too can vary) Subtract all that from the time you'll have to spend at each place.

- If you have 8 places on your list, figure out if you want to spend 5 days or 3 days at certain places. That can free up more days to adjust your schedule and maybe squeeze in another destination.

The more destinations you want to visit within your 40-day excursion, the less time you'll actually have to spend at each destination. The farther you have to travel between two points, will also reduce your amount of valuable fun time on the ground. The fewer destinations you make, the more time you'll have to spend at each place.

If you need to fly, you might want to consider how much it will cost for all the flights. Some flights might require a reservation, although for some of the not-too-distant popular spots, there might be multiple flights each day. You pay for the ticket and hop the next flight. But don't depend on that.

What are some important objectives you want to accomplish? You mentioned wanting to "explore" Asia. That's great, but how do you find time to explore anything if much of the time is spent racing to and from airports? That's not quite what I would consider as "Surviving Earth". But that's just me. Everyone's different and have their own preferences.

In my opinion, having to rush through everything comes with risks. Allow yourself to be flexible with your schedule in case something comes up and you find a need to change your plan because of unexpected or unforeseen events. Things happen. Maybe you'll experience jet-lag on arrival at your first destination from your home country. Maybe you'll find yourself really liking a place and want to spend more time there. Or you might become ill and need to rest and recoup. By all means set goals, but be flexible to change those goals if necessary.

Keep in mind that all the places on your original proposed list are not going to vanish. They'll still be there in the future. Don't try to cram too much together on your overall trip. You can always include other places at another time. Take it easy. Give yourself plenty of time to relax, enjoy, discover, and explore what each of these places have in the way of interest.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:09 PM

^^^^^^ Thanks for the tips. I'he already booked my round trip to Bangkok. So exited !!

Old 11-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^ Thanks for the tips. I'he already booked my round trip to Bangkok. So exited !!
Great! It's a good idea to book ahead, especially since it's the high season over there from December to March. More tourists there at that time, and higher hotel rates. Bangkok can serve as good starting place and a place to wind up your adventure. You should check ahead, or at least get an idea about where you'll stay. Whether you're on a limited budget, or are in a position that money is no object, check online to see what's there and what you prefer that might be best suitable for you. Bangkok has tons of accommodations all over.

One thing you'll find about Bangkok is that it's not all that different from any other big city in the world, and yet you'll still find a lot about the city that's very unique. I'd suggest checking online for hotel rates and locations. Personally, I liked the Sukhumvit Road area, and spent a lot of time on Soi 8. The sky train travels along Sukhumvit, but it's a good idea to know what stops are along the line. Tuk-tuks used to be pretty cheap because you could haggle on the price, but then you'd need to have an idea how much the average cost in to various locations. Metered taxis are better because because the rates are standardized, and they're often air-conditioned. Make sure you have low currency bills and coins because they might not always have enough to make change for larger bills. Food can be found everywhere in the city. Ideal areas to stay are Silom Road area, Siam Square area, or Sukhumvit Road area (my favorite). As busy as the city is, it's also fun and enjoyable with lots of things to see and do.

I'd recommend as soon as you arrive at the airport in Bangkok, go to one of the currency exchange bank stalls to get some Thai baht currency. There are also booths where you can prepay for a taxi into the city. You'll need to know where you're going to stay. It's a little bit spendy, but you won't have to worry about paying the driver or having him take the long way to get to your hotel (and rack up more money for him).

Old 11-08-2017, 02:40 AM

Guys another question for you....Must go beaches in Asia...Name 3....

Old 11-08-2017, 07:52 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Guys another question for you....Must go beaches in Asia...Name 3....
Boracay and Phuket are the TOP TWO.

Third...debatable...ah...I guess BALI would be third.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:57 AM

****UPDATE***
Here is the list:
Major hubs booked
Bangkok
Singapore
Tokyo
Beijing
Shanghai
HK
Soul
Taipei
Kuala Lampur

Old 11-23-2017, 02:41 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times
Singapore. You can fly anywhere

Old 11-23-2017, 03:01 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
****UPDATE***
Here is the list:
Major hubs booked
Bangkok
Singapore
Tokyo
Beijing
Shanghai
HK
Soul
Taipei
Kuala Lampur
good city list. I'd probably do the same...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia