Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:10 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
LOL
It’s true that it’s been awhile since I last went to Tokyo, but I remember the city having an extensive train network (JRT), the latest in tech, innovative products rarely seen elsewhere.

If we’re talking about modern urban development, then it could be Dubai, Doha or Astana which all look pretty futuristic. In fact they remind me of the planet Coruscant in Star Wars.
Maybe my perspective is quit different from everyone else here.

I'm more interested in their latest research and development. Measured by the number of publications in top conferences in computer science, the University of Tokyo isn't the best in Asia.
CSRankings: Computer Science Rankings

Extensive train network is nothing new in Asia and Europe.

Innovative products rarely seen elsewhere? high-end rice cooker and smart toilet? These products are great, but not impressive enough to make the city a tech king. Actually, I am not even sure if these products are designed and manufactured in Tokyo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Corporation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zojirushi_Corporation
Both Tiger and Zojirushi have headquarters in Osaka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toto_Ltd.
Toto is based in Kitakyushu, not Tokyo either.

I'm not saying Tokyo isn't developed, but Tokyo is more like DC + NYC, not SF bay where technology is the dominant industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 05:59 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
The heavy use of coin money in Japan is not high tech at all.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:35 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
It depends on what you talk about. Japan has the best robots, but South Korea is catching up fast.

In Chinese cities you don't need to use cash or credit cards to do most things now. Many places, even street vendors, support cell phone payments. Even some bathrooms use face recognition technology to distribute toilet paper.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:01 PM

75 posts, read 81,771 times
Want to see something cutting edge high tech, go to Shenzhen. It beats Tokyo on everything except smart toilets. The world's most high tech aiports, train stations, roads, and bridges are all in China now.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:29 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
It is and it will get more important...Satoshi Nakamoto (whose real nam is Shinzo Abe :P) plays us all...

Old 12-15-2017, 11:22 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
Wanna know something fun? Driers. Where are the driers. Like holy crap. Those balconies aren't for lazing around, they're for hanging your laundry to dry LOL!

Tokyo is great, but like NYC, it's not -that- technological and maybe even backwards sometimes. Even the vending machines, as great as they are, look like they're from the 80s. At least you can get beer out of some though.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:07 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Wanna know something fun? Driers. Where are the driers. Like holy crap. Those balconies aren't for lazing around, they're for hanging your laundry to dry LOL!

Tokyo is great, but like NYC, it's not -that- technological and maybe even backwards sometimes. Even the vending machines, as great as they are, look like they're from the 80s. At least you can get beer out of some though.
So it's like Atlanta basically? People say Atlanta is behind the times, lol.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:20 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post

Yeah, the lack of dryers is a drag. I grew up in Japan, and we hung our clothes outside every morning. There just isn't much space for both a washer and a dryer. My mom always told me the heat from the sun is the best way to dry clothes. The Japanese always have anecdotes for everything. LOL

And what? One of the things I miss about Japan ARE the vending machines. Where else can you get warm soup in a can while waiting for the train in the winter?? Or buy an entire meal? LOL And the variety of drinks can't be beat. In the U.S., we just have the standard Coke/Pepsi products. You can buy ANYTHING from a Japanese vending machine.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:12 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Yeah, the lack of dryers is a drag. I grew up in Japan, and we hung our clothes outside every morning. There just isn't much space for both a washer and a dryer. My mom always told me the heat from the sun is the best way to dry clothes. The Japanese always have anecdotes for everything. LOL

And what? One of the things I miss about Japan ARE the vending machines. Where else can you get warm soup in a can while waiting for the train in the winter?? Or buy an entire meal? LOL And the variety of drinks can't be beat. In the U.S., we just have the standard Coke/Pepsi products. You can buy ANYTHING from a Japanese vending machine.
My consideration is that I've seen some rather high tech vending machines in NYC including ones where you can get coffees, soups, etc. Some even by credit card! They are no where near as common as in Japan, and in fact are often in buildings that most won't have access to haha. My only qualm is the ones in Japan feel old, but what you can get out of them is amazing. My heart still goes for the one in Shimbashi station with a almond milk coffee that I've fallen in love with. Can't seem to find it anywhere else!

Old 12-20-2017, 08:14 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post

The lack of driers didn't really bother me. I got used to hanging my clothes outside, which I still do now. One think about houses in Japan that I don't miss is the lack of central heating and A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia