Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:29 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
There was a significant Chinese immigration into the western part of the United States initially in the 1840's and early 1850's because of the Gold Rush in Northern California. Later in the late 1860's after the Civil War there was another immigration of Chinese who were laborers on the first intercontinental railway.
Australia's history is very simlar in that regard, our gold rush started just after the californian one in the 1850's. The current chinatown in melbourne was founded in1851.

These days chinese constitutes the largest non british/irish ancestral group in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Chinese have large populations in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and Philippines and if you want to be specific Singapore and Taiwan are entire countries made up of the Chinese Diaspora.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:31 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Never heard of it, but I do think it could make an interesting movie. Say a Chinese man (from China of course) getting suckered into working on the railroad and about his journey from China to the US and then working on the railroad. The Chicago Chinatown was formed by Chinese railroad workers. They have an interesting museum there. There was a lot of anti-Chinese sentiment out west in California, Washington, and Idaho (which was about 30% Chinese at the time), so many Chinese decided to give Chicago a try (where the railroad construction ended). It’s an interesting history.
Kung Fu 1974 was basically remade as Vanishing Son with Russell Wong in 1994 being a modern version after Tiananmen Square. Among other things Kung Fu is famous for the "white wash" as many say Bruce Lee would have gotten the role but then the lead Priest was made Amerasian and played by David Carradine. Basically a martial artist on the run from the Chinese government makes his way to America and while drifting through the American west does good deeds protects the innocent.

The last season of Hell On Wheels shifted from the westward construction of the transcontinental train with former slaves and poor whites to the west coast and the Chinese workers pushing east. The lead engineer an ex Confederate Colonel who murdered the soldiers who murdered his wife after the end of the war was dealing with Chinese organized crime along with Mormon near separatist in that last season.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:44 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
I find it interesting how far and wide the Koreans have spread, especially given that there aren't all that many of them, relatively speaking. I even found a Korean restaurant in Barrow, Alaska, of all places.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:41 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I find it interesting how far and wide the Koreans have spread, especially given that there aren't all that many of them, relatively speaking. I even found a Korean restaurant in Barrow, Alaska, of all places.
because they used to be poor, like only 2 generations ago. And when you are poor, you are willing to go anywhere to make a better life.

Places I found Chinese restaurants that shocked me:
Jerusalem, Israel;
Syracuse, Sicily;
Ushuaia, Argentina.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:50 AM

116 posts, read 191,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
A lot is talked about the African, Caribbean, Irish, Italian, Anglo, German, Polish, other European and even the Latin American diaspora but what about the Asian diaspora? It's perhaps not mentioned as much. Maybe the Jewish diaspora is the most known from that continent?

Which countries around the world has an interesting diaspora to you, which originates in Asia. Looking forward to hearing thoughts and maybe learning some new things.

The Chinese are literally everywhere on the globe.
I'm surprised you haven't heard them mentioned much where you live. Not only do the Chinese have a formidable presence in Asia and North America, they are also present in Oceania, Europe, and increasingly more are found in Africa (due to all the Chinese factories and companies, that soft power strategy). It's rather difficult to find a town/city in the States that does not have even one Chinese restaurant, maybe save for some remote places in the Midwest/South. That's how numerous they are.

The Japanese used to have a pretty extensive diaspora in the past but it seems like most Japanese are happy staying at home. I agree with the other posters they have a pretty large community in Brazil. The Japanese-American community is decreasing every year though.

Despite their fewer numbers, my impression is that Koreans are actually a very branched out community. In the past because they were poor and presently because they have the means to travel/relocate to another nation.

They are a recognized minority in China, biggest ethnic group in Japan, make for a sizable population in Russia/Central Asia, such as Uzbekistan (they are known "Koryo Saram"), and of course they have a relatively huge population in the U.S., Canada and other anglophone countries. Due to the increasing wealth of the nation, Hallyu Wave, and growing Korean companies, there is quite a significant Korean community in Southeast Asia as well.

Last edited by attisbons; 12-11-2017 at 12:00 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
If there is an USAF or Army base nearby the so called war brides would have been a base for a Korean community to build around

Old 12-11-2017, 03:17 PM

361 posts, read 398,103 times
Quote:
Well, there is also a small Korean community in the lower Midwest, in places like Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. I would never want to live for a long time in Alaska. Too cold during the winter time, and too much sunlight during the summer time.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:54 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
[b][i]

They are a recognized minority in China, biggest ethnic group in Japan, make for a sizable population in Russia/Central Asia, such as Uzbekistan (they are known "Koryo Saram"), and of course they have a relatively huge population in the U.S., Canada and other anglophone countries. Due to the increasing wealth of the nation, Hallyu Wave, and growing Korean companies, there is quite a significant Korean community in Southeast Asia as well.
Korean not much in Southeastern Asia and not outstanding . Korean usually prefer to settle in countries rich and prosperous like USA/America ( this country is the most populous of korean in the world )

Old 12-11-2017, 05:32 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post

The Chinese are literally everywhere on the globe.
I'm surprised you haven't heard them mentioned much where you live.
To be fair I wasn't thinking about the two juggernauts, China and India, when I posed this question. Those two countries are practically continents in themselves. I was mainly thinking of the smaller nations, even Indonesia which itself is big.

However, by no means do I want to exclude China and India from the discussion, some great information has been presented already, however, would be great to learn more about the smaller nations also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia