Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:24 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I7oe3MKNF0

this video is a very comprehensive (and fair) assessment of dog eating in China.

I'm not going to say anything snarky but to all the Chinese nationals on CD who read this thread, as a dog owner and lover, I hope you push for change in the commonality of such things.

China is rich and it is expensive to obtain dog meat, not even the poor should do it.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 PM

353 posts, read 427,072 times
Honestly, I am okay with dog, cat, guinea, chicken, duck, cow, pig, horse, and any other animal being consumed. Just because we, human race, chose to domesticate one species over another makes no difference (ps: I have always had cats and dogs as pets along with koi, goldfish, and turtles. I also grew up on a farm, for a bit.). To me, it does not matter WHAT the species is; however, it does matter that they are raised for slaughter and raised humanly. You would not raise domestic long-hair cats for their meat, for example, nor would you raise chow chow for theirs.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Eating dog has been chatted to death on here, but I have watched many of SerpentZAs videos, I found his videos when I was trying find something a few years back. I’m not fond of where his channel is heading, it’s very informative and I do think he tries to be unbiased, but I really enjoyed his adventure videos and travels more.

Eating dog is taboo in much of China, in modern China its only found in a small region in southern China of mostly small towns and rural areas. Chinese people are leading the charge against eating dog meat and the government has started creating policies to limit dog meat consumption.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Eating dog has been chatted to death on here, but I have watched many of SerpentZAs videos, I found his videos when I was trying find something a few years back. I’m not fond of where his channel is heading, it’s very informative and I do think he tries to be unbiased, but I really enjoyed his adventure videos and travels more.

Eating dog is taboo in much of China, in modern China its only found in a small region in southern China of mostly small towns and rural areas. Chinese people are leading the charge against eating dog meat and the government has started creating policies to limit dog meat consumption.
Big deal if some people in China do eat dogs. I pretty much hate them anyway.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:55 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
If I were living in the PRC, I would start yet another "Dog Rescue" company to bilk stupid foreigners out of their money. I'd get some airhead Hollywood celebrities involved to "maximize awareness". Then I'd buy a bunch of dogs from the meat traders, pet traders, thieves, etc, and dump them in kennels at Buddhist monasteries to die of neglect while I made off with most of the charitable donations.

Oh wait, some American already beat me to it...

Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
The special of the day is Filet of Fido.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:20 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post

watch the video, it's everywhere.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:13 PM

127 posts, read 109,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Have you been to China? That person's video is a bit extreme. I don't know why anyone take his videos seriously.

I have been traveling to most part of China and stayed in China for years. I have yet seen anyone eating or any restaurants serving dog meat. Dog meat is very much a taboo in China just like Europe. Just some Swiss or Slovakian eat dog meat as a delicacy. Chinese like most Europeans don't eat dogs.

In fact, maybe besides USA and some other countries, most countries eat dogs.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:15 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
And yet, in the 7 provinces I've been to, I've never seen one. I live part time in Henan (north-central China), in a city of 3 million, and there isn't a single restaurant I've ever seen that sells dog meat here.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm sure they can be found in most of China, but it's not common. When you use the word "everywhere" people are going to get the wrong impression. There's no way to really know, but I'd guess there are only a small handful of restaurants that sell dog meat in most provinces. About a year ago me and some Chinese friends were talking about eating strange things, and of the 8 of us, only 2 had eaten dog meat, and 1 of those people (my wife) had it once when she was a little kid 20+ years ago. 3 of the 8 (not including me) thought dog meat should be banned. None of the 8 had eaten dog meat in the last few years.

Whats more appalling to me is animal cruelty like boiling, beating, and/or skinning animals alive as it's common thought that the meat will taste better because of those things... I agree strongly with the video on animal cruelty laws in China, and I've seen many awful things done right on the streets. Even then, I don't think the average Chinese person treats animals poorly. Many Chinese people have pet dogs and that's helping the environment in China a lot. I've seen Chinese people yell at other Chinese people for barbaric acts.

They have a name for the older Chinese generations, they are called the "lost generation" and it varies by region, but typically includes most people over 40, those people can seem incredibly uncivilized and barbaric at times. But China is changing rapidly, and I could see dog meat being banned in the next couple decades.

Edit: I didn't realize dog meat was banned in Shenzhen until I watched the video, I didn't think it was banned anywhere in China.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
China does not allow slaughtering and selling livestocks without government supervision. Therefore dog meat is literally illegal in almost all conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia