Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:29 AM

235 posts, read 148,395 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm Filipino and also am clueless about laglag bala. But wow that's disgusting. Duterte to the rescue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 02:57 PM

361 posts, read 398,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
they don't necessarily plant the bullets. if they targeted you for extortion, the xray technician will "call" the attention of his supervisor that there is something suspicious in you luggage. then they separate that luggage and open it and that's where the magic comes in.
But still... the X-ray machine's location in Terminal 1 (I don't know about the other terminals at NAIA) looks like it's in an open area.

The security agents seemed professional, and I have not seen any of them, at least while I was there standing in the long line, pull off any luggage from the conveyor belt for checking the inside contents.

However, who knows. You have traveled to the PI a lot more than I did, and know more about the history of the corruptness than I do.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:26 PM

626 posts, read 625,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
But still... the X-ray machine's location in Terminal 1 (I don't know about the other terminals at NAIA) looks like it's in an open area.

The security agents seemed professional, and I have not seen any of them, at least while I was there standing in the long line, pull off any luggage from the conveyor belt for checking the inside contents.

However, who knows. You have traveled to the PI a lot more than I did, and know more about the history of the corruptness than I do.
Yeah they got scared straight because of Duterte. It got so bad they were accusing elderly women of trying to smuggle in ammo through customs. They would then hold up a 9mm bullet to say "look what we found in your luggage and you can us a fine or you can miss your flight". It was as found out that it was stay xray techs, baggage handlers, and security all in on it. The baggage handlers were caught a couple months back taking things out of bags in transit while at the airport.

I kinda wish they would that do me when I go back in June because I would laugh and be like " a 9mms really, I don't shoot a gun that small".

Old 02-12-2018, 05:03 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,806 times
It ended when
Quote:
Duterte orders end to 'tanim-bala'
The alleged bullet-planting scheme in Philippine airports may now be a thing of the past after President Rodrigo Duterte prohibited authorities from arresting passengers for bullets in their luggage.
The wife and I travel to the Philippines every year and I can say from experience that some of the security guards in Manila cannot be trusted.
If a security guard is going to search your carry on, do not let a female or any other security guard take your attention off your carry on by talking to you, that is one of their scams, then they can plant or steal something from your carry on, in my case they stole a pair of pants from my carry on and then when the guard was done searching and as I walked away, the female called me back and told me that I should reward the other guard for finding my pants, I gave him a old wrinkled U.S. one dollar bill because I know it would basically be worthless to him and I did not wish to end up detained if I refused, be careful and keep your eyes on your belongings at all times, do not let anyone else distract you if your luggage is being searched.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:10 AM

105 posts, read 127,015 times
Default Unfortunate

This Laglag Bala Scheme shows the mentality and desperation of Filipino employees at the airport. Instead of coming up with welcoming ideas to promote tourism they come up with asinine schemes that make the country look bad. This also reflects on the education and culture of Filipinos because they apparently have allowed this to go on for many years without complaining. It took one foreign traveler who happened to be young American traveler to refuse to pay their extortion demand for this terroristic act to be exposed.

This scheme involved the lowest level employee to the airport general manager. Its hard to say whether Duterte had much to do with the embarrassing scheme ending because he really felt it was wrong or just to save face.

Now, it appears the Philippines has found another way to make money since the embarrassing laglag bala scheme has stopped.

Now, you are forced to "quarantine" in a hotel that they choose for 2 weeks at your expense, pay for the covid swab test and purposely delay the results for a week to justify the hotel quarantine. Purposely because they have provided same day results in the past. You are also responsible for all your food and associated expenses during that time. Your expenses during this 2 weeks end costing more than your plane fare.

If you are visiting and are only planning on staying for 2 weeks guess what? There's your 2 weeks right there.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:49 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman3 View Post
This Laglag Bala Scheme shows the mentality and desperation of Filipino employees at the airport. Instead of coming up with welcoming ideas to promote tourism they come up with asinine schemes that make the country look bad. This also reflects on the education and culture of Filipinos because they apparently have allowed this to go on for many years without complaining. It took one foreign traveler who happened to be young American traveler to refuse to pay their extortion demand for this terroristic act to be exposed.

This scheme involved the lowest level employee to the airport general manager. Its hard to say whether Duterte had much to do with the embarrassing scheme ending because he really felt it was wrong or just to save face.

Now, it appears the Philippines has found another way to make money since the embarrassing laglag bala scheme has stopped.

Now, you are forced to "quarantine" in a hotel that they choose for 2 weeks at your expense, pay for the covid swab test and purposely delay the results for a week to justify the hotel quarantine. Purposely because they have provided same day results in the past. You are also responsible for all your food and associated expenses during that time. Your expenses during this 2 weeks end costing more than your plane fare.

If you are visiting and are only planning on staying for 2 weeks guess what? There's your 2 weeks right there.
Thats why it is better not to travel during the pandemic. It's great if you have been fully vaccinated but the world doesn't revolve around you.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Thats why it is better not to travel during the pandemic. It's great if you have been fully vaccinated but the world doesn't revolve around you.
Oh boy....sounds like I stepped on a toe here. Did you help mastermind the terroristic laglag bala and this current scheme? You totally ignored what I said about the mentality of the people. Do you think their mentality will change after the pandemic? They came up with the Laglag bala scheme years before the pandemic. This has nothing to do with the world revolving around me.

Typical! Sounds to me like you think their shenanigans are normal. Thats why no Pinoy ever reports anything until a foreigner reports the BS. Really pathetic.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:52 AM

574 posts, read 376,661 times
Before traveling to any country it would be a good idea to research all the potential scams and how to avoid them. Type in name of country and scams and there is plenty of info on what to watch out for.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
Before traveling to any country it would be a good idea to research all the potential scams and how to avoid them. Type in name of country and scams and there is plenty of info on what to watch out for.
That only works up to a point. Again, in the Philippines, many people are opportunistic and will figure out schemes to scam you regardless of how stupid the idea is. It's very unfortunate.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:44 AM

Default Laglag Bala Scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman3 View Post
That only works up to a point. Again, in the Philippines, many people are opportunistic and will figure out schemes to scam you regardless of how stupid the idea is. It's very unfortunate.
And there is no better example than the laglag bala scheme. They made it so if a departing traveler is caught with an item that is prohibited to be brought to a plane like a piece of ammo (which has been their standard practice) they will essentially arrest and threaten you with the intention to extort money. No other reason but to extort money.

While other countries like the US for example, any prohibited item is simply confiscated and you are sent your merry way.

Btw, the people involved are not just airport security but it starts with the baggage porters. They are all in it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia