Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,056 times

Advertisements

Some apt platitudes:
Old habits die hard.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Rome wasn't (re)built in a day.

It is easier to destroy than to rebuild.*

Good habits take time and effort.*

It's the darkest just before dawn.

Or

...All the world is going to Hades in a hand basket.

LOL

*mingna-isms

Last edited by mingna; 01-26-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 06:20 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Well, I'd have to say public behavior improves with time and education.

Take air travel. 20 years ago, once the plane landed, you used to hear several clicks of the seat belts being unfastened, and a bunch of passengers getting up, grabbing their hand luggage, and strolling down the aisle.

Now, nobody does that anymore.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:34 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,516,926 times
Yes in 2003 on our flight from Beijing to Harbin I remember they were all standing in the aisles before take off chatting on their phones and even asking the flight attendants to assist them. Was stressing out my husband.
Last year our flight from Chengdu to Shangrila was very calm and orderly, much more so than many we have had in Europe and Sth America. After the airports in Italy, China was a breeze.

People who were complaining above about groups obstructing footpaths and so on should realise that this is hardly confined to Chinese tourists. It was happening in the city yesterday on Australia Day when local Aussies who do not often go to the city were chatting away blocking the side of the elevator where people normally rush.

I have such good memories of the kindness of people in China, helping me on steep steps when my husband had rushed off to take photos, being so patient with their translation app trying to figure out what we wanted, going to such an effort to direct us to the westerners restaurant in hotels (knowing most of us do not like to eat breakfast with a lot of smokers) And we always felt safe, much more so than in many other parts of the world.

I cannot help but think that some people have a prejudice against the Chinese and enjoy finding information that may reinforce it.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:03 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,054 times
It is not like you really have to search. A good one about high end hotel sanitation: Hotel cleaning crews in China caught using toilet brushes to clean drinkware | Fox News,

but your experiences with Chinese on a cruise is almost like basing your opinions on the middle class Americans after a week at Hilton Head.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:38 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, I'd have to say public behavior improves with time and education.

Take air travel. 20 years ago, once the plane landed, you used to hear several clicks of the seat belts being unfastened, and a bunch of passengers getting up, grabbing their hand luggage, and strolling down the aisle.

Now, nobody does that anymore.
Exactly, China was isolated for so long it’s no wonder many of the elderly behave the way they do. But the younger generations don’t act any different then younger generations in other modernized countries.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,884,817 times
Not necessarily bad manners but here's an example. Flights from San Francisco into Hong Kong with lots of passengers going on into mainland China. Made the mistake of sitting in the rear of the aircraft. Middle of the night and for hours people doing Tai Chi just inches from me. Annoying.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 AM

I was on a KAL flight and the plane approached the gate, I was n the isle. The hatch wasn't close to being opened, so I remained seated. The Korean couple, about 55, climbed over me. Then when I exited the plane, guess who I bumped into? Them and their group of imbecile s were gathering right in front of the exit hatch on the jetway. Worse than speeding to a red light and slamming the brakes on. Otherwise, KAL is great. Too many animals never been out oif their cages, though. The tour groups always create a big mess at the airports, and have to walk in a long line and try not to let anyone through. The expats always joke about their flagman...I had a nine hour layover at Incheon..tour or hotel for free? Hotel was a very easy decision. I was soaking in a huge tub just thinking what the tour bus would have been like. And I do like to exp!ore new cultures, but sometimes their is nothing wrong with a few mini market beers and a big bathtub.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:47 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,516,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
It is not like you really have to search. A good one about high end hotel sanitation: Hotel cleaning crews in China caught using toilet brushes to clean drinkware | Fox News,

but your experiences with Chinese on a cruise is almost like basing your opinions on the middle class Americans after a week at Hilton Head.
Our cruise was four days as part of a four week tour. My husband goes to China on golf tours. My sister lived in Shanghai for years and we visited and did some independent travel. Actually on the cruise the only American group, which was small, ate exclusively in the upmarket restaurant which was more western. Our group ate with the rest of the passengers who were Chinese. Our hotels were mostly local business hotels where we were often the only western group. So I do have some experience of China, albeit as a tourist.

I expect to be amazed by the excellent American manners I will find on my seven week visit later this year. It will be lovely.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:59 PM

127 posts, read 109,199 times
I don't think China has laws or has routine enforcement at the least against spitting, public urinating/defecating, public smoking and other deemed uncivilized behaviors, unlike developed places like USA, Europe, Japan, Singapore have strictly law against that. People will modify their behaviors if there is code or law and strong enforcement.

I know if you urinated publicly in NYC, you will get a fine of $50 or jailed time if caught. It is considered a misdemeanor crime or lewdness depending on how the judge view it. Not sure in Paris, I think you might have to pay a lot of money for that.

Many decades ago USA and Europe were exactly like China. People just from rural didn't have cleanliness concepts or other civilized concepts. There were rowdy. They thought streets were their outfields. They thought they could do anything they like.

Nevertheless spit law in USA is not strictly enforced though.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Our cruise was four days as part of a four week tour. My husband goes to China on golf tours. My sister lived in Shanghai for years and we visited and did some independent travel. Actually on the cruise the only American group, which was small, ate exclusively in the upmarket restaurant which was more western. Our group ate with the rest of the passengers who were Chinese. Our hotels were mostly local business hotels where we were often the only western group. So I do have some experience of China, albeit as a tourist.

I expect to be amazed by the excellent American manners I will find on my seven week visit later this year. It will be lovely.
So the Hilton head analogy was right on the Yuan. Husband goes on golf tours...great, but hardly a taste of commoner culture, and by your own admission, you traveled in a tour group catering to westerners. Shanghai is almost not mainland, except it is.
I sometimes just jump on a public bus for 20 cents in Bangkok and ride, sightsee, meet and chat with working class, bring a beer or two with me. If I need to void, I just get off the bus (and find a restroom), and get on another one. They all eventually go to a transit hub, or back to where you boarded. Tour busses go to restaurants with bus parking, at best case, and anyplace that will give them a kickback is frequent. Avoid, unless you are a complete newbie. Most of these cities have high learning curves. By the third time, they will act like they know you at the mini market, if you exhibit any personality, at all, even in Laos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia