Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 12:31 AM

90 posts, read 203,124 times

Advertisements

You need to ask yourself why you want to move over there. If it is purely for a change of scenery temporarily then Hong Kong will be the easier move. If you want to put yourself in an environment that can potentially improve your career trajectory then easily Shanghai or Beijing (with Shanghai being the preferable one for reasons others mentioned).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 03:48 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,539 times
Hong Kong, if you can afford it. Beijing and Shanghai still have Dystopian Science Fiction levels of air pollution, though they claim to be working on it. Also, Hong Kong, at least for now, still has more individual freedom under the "one country, two systems" thing. It's certainly not completely free, but it resembles a free country more than the rest of China does.

I would give Shanghai the edge over Beijing for second place, but it's a very distant second.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:58 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I only visited all 3 cities but I have ex-pat good family friends living long term in HK and Beijing and a former colleague who lived in Shanghai for several years. From what they told me and my own impressions, HK has the most Western freedoms of the three but not necessarily the most authentic Chinese experience but does have lower pollution levels than Shanghai or Beijing. Shanghai like HK is a vibrant city as well as world class financial center and both of them remind one of NYC in that regard. But for a more authentic Chinese experience probably Beijing would fit the bill, but I believe the pollution there is the worst of the three cities.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
When thoughtful on stores, Hong Kong is having other strengths. Especially one of the beginning trendsetters on mainland Asian megalopolis holdings. Although, Shanghai is extremely trendy, and recent. Their own nightlife is continuing rare when comparing rest of the entire Continent. Millions of people literally squished themselves into this utopia in Planet Earth record amount of interval spacing. On the contrary, Hong Kong is markedly slower with developing activity. Shanghai wins for me, even when each are successful in urban behemoths labels.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:37 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
I am an American of European heritage who has not lived in China, but I have visited the 3 cities in question. So, I can't give as much useful info as others who have posted here. But, here goes. I've enjoyed all 3 cities. I see them all as distinct and with my limited experience, it is difficult to choose between them. Beijing certainly does have bad air quality, but it is where I would go to work on my (extremely limited) Mandarin. A Mandarin-speaking friend from Taiwan advocated for me to join him in Macao, but even he has difficulty there because he doesn't speak Cantonese. I looked into Mandarin schooling there, but it doesn't seem to be the best place to practice it with regular people on the street. I'm not sure about Shanghai ... don't they have their own regional dialect? So, if I were to go to China for the explicit purpose of learning Mandarin, Beijing would be my choice of the 3 cities. Hong Kong might be easier for a foreigner and it is a fun place. Shanghai is in-between, but one good thing is that it is close to Hangzhou and Suzhou, which are fun to visit.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:27 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
hong kong while its still somewhat free

Old 06-12-2019, 12:46 PM

1,136 posts, read 523,904 times
Most receptive to foreign men.
HK women>Shanghai women>Beijing women

Most receptive to foreign women
All three cities' men are similar, like the look of foreign women but not very interested to start a relationship with foreign women, prefer own women

Old 08-07-2019, 09:43 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Here's a look at Shanghai....from the ground level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0OoiOIjli0

Old 08-07-2019, 12:13 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Most receptive to foreign men.
HK women>Shanghai women>Beijing women

Most receptive to foreign women
All three cities' men are similar, like the look of foreign women but not very interested to start a relationship with foreign women, prefer own women

Of course OP only cares about dating ...

On topic: Shanghai??

Hong Kong seems to be on the downtrend since the 90s losing huge portions of its GDP to neighbor Shenzhen and Shanghai too.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:17 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Shanghai would be my choice. Hong Kong is just too dense population wise for living and I like dense cities. Visit both and decide. Beijing is too spread out and polluted and generic.

Regarding dating, all of them are good as long as you aren't a douche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia