Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times

Advertisements

Asia is overrated by anyone who expects it to be a huge Connecticut. But by any realistic measure, Asia is the most interesting continent. It is a continent that has Japan, China, Indonesia, Cambodia, Thailand, Nepal, India, Tibet, Uzbekistan, Iran, Turkey, Arabia, Israel and most of Russia. How can you possibly fail to find what you like in at least one of those places?

Personal freedom and free enterprise? In Hong Kong, I saw a man with a kitchen chair under an overpass, and he was giving people haircuts. Try that in the USA and see how thick the book is they throw at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 06:53 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Asia is overrated by anyone who expects it to be a huge Connecticut. But by any realistic measure, Asia is the most interesting continent. It is a continent that has Japan, China, Indonesia, Cambodia, Thailand, Nepal, India, Tibet, Uzbekistan, Iran, Turkey, Arabia, Israel and most of Russia. How can you possibly fail to find what you like in at least one of those places?
True. Any continent that consists of 67% of the world's population is going to be a fascinating place!

Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Freedom - Freedom to drink a beer at the beach, if I so desire. or drink a beer in the park (that freedom doesn't exist in the U.S). The freedom to have my workplace and residence be close to each other (U.S. is heavily zoned with few mixed-use area), and other things. Freedoms are a personal thing. I have all the same freedoms that I enjoyed in the U.S., and a few more that I couldn't do in the U.S.
but you can drink all you want in a sporting event. this is what I cant understand about americans. they should ban alcoholic drinks in a sporting even because there is more passion which could turn into a heated argument

Old 03-07-2018, 12:44 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
but you can drink all you want in a sporting event. this is what I cant understand about americans. they should ban alcoholic drinks in a sporting even because there is more passion which could turn into a heated argument
It is rare but some of those heated arguments have turned lethal. Most events can be policed by a few cops working overtime to back up private security and not calling a tactical alert with the riot police that are needed for events in other societies.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:03 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
But . . . but that's the purpose of sporting events. Look at the camera shots of the spectators. Nobody came to see the game. They came for the social experience, and to hold up inane signs, and to display their fashions, and to dance or yell or kiss or drink when the scoreboard entertainment director tells them to. It's a sports bar experience with live players and off the meter decibels..

Old 03-07-2018, 04:25 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Asia is by fa the most diverse continent and it's not just because of size. Many neighboring countries have completely different languages/cultures which is hard to come by elsewhere.

In South America most countries speak a Latin derived language and follow Christianity.
Same goes with North America
Africa has a lot of diversity, but it's still plagued by famine/warfare therefore remains largely unexplored by tourists.
Europe is also predominantly Christian though each country has it's own culture

As far as Asia goes, you have some fairly distinct regions.

The Middle East: A number of Arab countries bordering Israel, Iran and Turkey who differ considerably from them.
South Asia: You've got India and Sri Lanka as well as the Maldives
The Stans: The five Soviet Stans are unique due to the fact that they incorporate commie urban planning
South East Asia: This area's a goldmine. Countries like Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar and Vietnam all have their own unique culture and cuisine
North Asia: The three behemoths known as China, Japan and Korea are located here.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
^^ North Asia refers to Siberia and sometimes Mongolia.
China, Japan and Korea belong to East Asia.

Last edited by Bettafish; 03-07-2018 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 10:46 PM

24,605 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Can't speak for all of Asia, but I can speak for East Asia and South east Asia

The latter regions are not overrated. They have their pros and cons but they're definitely not boring compared to some of the countries in Europe. What you get in a lot of these countries is safety, high standard of living, efficient public transportation, places to eat, shop, watch movies, beaches, weather, diverse culture, exotic things, nightlife, tourism, etc.

If you don't like East or South East Asia, stick to your small western hometown. These countries aren't for the faint of heart or close-minded.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:40 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post

you'll also poop in your pants
I didn't know moving to another country made you incontinent. So the company that manufactures Depends must make a killing in Thailand.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:17 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I didn't know moving to another country made you incontinent. So the company that manufactures Depends must make a killing in Thailand.
.......hm...that's actually a great investment strategy. adult diapers for western tourists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia