Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:51 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,741,344 times

Advertisements

With one exception, all of the articles you posted are from 2015 and earlier (even 2008), and none of them except one involved a firearm. One involved scissors, one involved a club, one an axe, and the rest of the 10+ were unarmed, so we've got a roughly 20-30% of them were armed, the rest were unarmed. The posted youtube video does not say whether a firearm was involved.

It seems that, prior to 2015, some robberies happened which turned violent. A couple of violent unprovoked attacks happened. But I don't know what the total numbers are. Unclear whether the articles you posted represent the *only* violent attacks in Cambodia from 2008 - 2015 (if so, this is an extremely small number, making it a very safe country), or if there were more, how many there were in total.

These articles do make me start to rethink the safety situation (particularly the fact that there was a firearm involved in one of them, which means firearms are at least somewhat available to criminals), but I need more info:
  • a) any recent data? your posted references are old
  • b) what is the number of violent robberies per month in, say, Phnom Penh?
  • c) what percentage of robberies include firearms? (and on a related note, what percentage of the general public owns operational firearms?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I doubt your living situation in Albuquerque was anything like you described,
You are free to take a poll of people who lived in the South Valley of Albuquerque in the 1970s and 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
I doubt your living situation in Albuquerque was anything like you described
Says the white dude who never lived a day in his life in a Chicano neighborhood.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:36 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,517,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
With one exception, all of the articles you posted are from 2015 and earlier (even 2008), and none of them except one involved a firearm. One involved scissors, one involved a club, one an axe, and the rest of the 10+ were unarmed, so we've got a roughly 20-30% of them were armed, the rest were unarmed. The posted youtube video does not say whether a firearm was involved.
Gotcha, so according to 80skeys when people are physically assaulted and physically harmed and raped it's not a safety issue. We'll just move the goalposts for "safe" a little bit further in the neverending quest to avoid admitting you were absolutely clueless about crime in Cambodia. First a problem with bag snatching isn't a safety issue, then people getting injured isn't an issue since they didn't intend to kill them, now scissors don't count since it isn't a firearm. Do you even hear how you sound?

Quote:
It seems that, prior to 2015, some robberies happened which turned violent. A couple of violent unprovoked attacks happened. But I don't know what the total numbers are. Unclear whether the articles you posted represent the *only* violent attacks in Cambodia from 2008 - 2015 (if so, this is an extremely small number, making it a very safe country), or if there were more, how many there were in total.
Ahh so now you're implying it did have all these incidents but somehow they cut off in 2015 and in 2018 when 80skeys went there for a week in his fancy hotels and travel pants there was no more crime so after his brief visit he can accurately describe the country as completely safe with no risk of harm. Afterall he's patting himself on the back for walking past a slum.

Quote:
These articles do make me start to rethink the safety situation (particularly the fact that there was a firearm involved in one of them, which means firearms are at least somewhat available to criminals), but I need more info
Instead of rethinking it, why don't you take the initiative and stop pretending you have some deep understanding of a country after a brief tour where you were exposed to very little. I know that hurts your ego a bit since you imagine yourself some amazingly insightful person, but it just sets you up to looking foolish.

Quote:
  • a) any recent data? your posted references are old
  • b) what is the number of violent robberies per month in, say, Phnom Penh?
  • c) what percentage of robberies include firearms? (and on a related note, what percentage of the general public owns operational firearms?)
Better list:

- How long was 80skeys in Cambodia? His continued refusal to answer this question clearly indicates he knows it will make his "I'm the expert" argument look even more hollow. Was it a week? (crickets chirping again from 80skeys)

- How many locations did 80skeys visit? He won't answer whether he was in Snooky, or Battambang, or Poipet. Could it be that he was talking about the crime situation in a country where he hadn't visited many places in the country? His refusal to answer speaks volumes.

I know you won't answer, maybe you should ask yourself why you're avoiding these questions?

Old 11-22-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Says the white dude who never lived a day in his life in a Chicano neighborhood.
You don't know if I'm white, and you don't know if I've lived in a Chicano neighborhood. It doesn't matter though does it? You've been exposed as a BSer on a grand scale, you've been reduced to dismissing attacks by scissors on tourists because it didn't involve a firearm.

So... for the 6th time, how long were you in Cambodia Mr. Expert? How much of the country did you see? All we know is you booked a nice 9 seat limousine bus from your hotel, you sure are quiet on the rest when attempting to imply you know this country inside and out.

Yes, we know you won't answer because it exposes you.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:55 PM

Since we're doing lists let's keep 80skeys arguments straight since it's always evolving....
  • The entire country of Cambodia is completely safe, and there is no risk of bodily harm
  • The problem with bag snatchings from passing scooters isn't a safety issue
  • Many people injured from these bag snatchings isn't a safety issue since it's not the thieves' intent
  • Since not all muggings use firearms those aren't a safety issue
  • Being stabbed by scissors after a robbery isn't a safety issue since not a firearm
  • Being raped isn't a safety issue since no firearm
  • Being beaten by a club isn't a safety isn't a safety issue since not a firearm
  • Being beaten/choked with hands isn't during a robbery isn't a safety issue since not a firearm
  • Over a dozen examples of foreigners being beaten/shot/stabbed/raped does not counter claim there is zero risk of bodily harm
  • All these different govts issuing warnings about assaults in Cambodia don't count since I'm skeptical of US warnings
  • Latin America being worse means Cambodia is completely safe with zero risk of being harmed
  • The dates on these crimes not being 2018 means Cambodia is now completely safe, since all crime must have stopped in 2015
  • A very short stay in a country to a very limited flash tourist itinerary allowed 80skeys to get a complete picture of Cambodia, including through the window of the 9 seat limousine bus he booked through his hotel

It's not just tourist bag snatchings, expats who live in Cambodia are sometimes victims as well...

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/u...le-men-119467/
Quote:
After a monthslong lull in violence in Sihanoukville, an attack by two masked men on Monday morning left an American guesthouse owner hospitalized with a shattered kneecap and bruises covering his body, according to the victim.

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/u...saulted-97534/
Quote:
While the victim was not named, the report almost certainly refers to the widely publicized case of a South Carolina woman who was reportedly beaten, raped, wrapped in barbed wire and left unconscious in a rice paddy in Baray district’s Chong Doung commune, where she had moved with her family to start a grassroots health clinic.
Apparently those aren't safety issues since it was just sticks, barbed wire, and rape. A local newspaper referring to a "lull in violence" is also no indication of crime or safety issues since according to 80skeys the entire country of Cambodia is completely safe and there is zero risk of bodily harm.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Afterall he's patting himself on the back for walking past a slum.
Actually I spent substantial amount of time walking in streets and alleys inside the slums in Phnom Penh, attempting to talk to people, taking photos, looking at the graffiti/street art. Maybe safe, maybe not. I figured it was safe at the time, but I need to look more into it.
Quote:
You don't know if I'm white
You enjoy making unfounded assumptions about me, so I'll make them about you.
Quote:
Gotcha, so according to 80skeys when people are physically assaulted and physically harmed and raped it's not a safety issue.
Safety is about probability. If my chances of being a victim of crime in Sunnyvale are 0.001%, and my chances in Portland are 0.5%, then Portland is 500x more risky than Sunnyvale. In order to calculate the risk for Cambodia, we need the crime data.
Quote:
Ahh so now you're implying it did have all these incidents but somehow they cut off in 2015
You keep posting old stories. What I need are overal crime statistics, preferably recent:
* what percentage of robberies result in bodily harm?
* how many total robberies in 2018?
* how many total violent incidents in 2018?

Last edited by 80skeys; 11-23-2018 at 12:05 AM..

Old 11-23-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Actually I spent substantial amount of time walking in streets and alleys inside the slums in Phnom Penh, attempting to talk to people, taking photos, looking at the graffiti/street art. Maybe safe, maybe not. I figured it was safe at the time, but I need to look more into it.
Yet so much effort is being made to keep the definition of "substantial" a mystery, which speaks volumes. I believe it's a safe assumption you had no more than a week in the country and didn't step foot in many of the cities that are included in the sweeping generalizations about the Cambodia.

Quote:
Safety is about probability. If my chances of being a victim of crime in Sunnyvale are 0.001%, and my chances in Portland are 0.5%, then Portland is 500x more risky than Sunnyvale. In order to calculate the risk for Cambodia, we need the crime data.
You keep posting old stories. What I need are overal crime statistics, preferably recent:
* what percentage of robberies result in bodily harm?
* how many total robberies in 2018?
* how many total violent incidents in 2018?
We don't need crime statistics because you stated the entire country is completely safe and there is no chance of physical harm, which is directly contradicted by account after account of foreigners being assaulted or injured. No matter what the statistics are you'll just keep changing the definition of "safe" to maintain this image you have of yourself being an expert from having spent a little time on a walk, that's why we have this ridiculousness of you dismissing a tourist being raped or stabbed because there was no firearm involved.

Nobody talks about a "lull in the violence" when describing countries that are completely safe.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
We don't need crime statistics
I'll frame this answer.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:40 AM

Might as well, you haven't accomplished much else in this thread except belittle yourself by dismissing rape as not a safety issue because there was no firearm involved.

Also funny = the guy who runs around saying people have a high percentage of getting killed driving across Mexico or walking around in unknown neighborhoods of Bogata, without ever offering a shred of data, is suddenly thirsty for crime statistics. It's suddenly important now that you're getting punked so badly in this thread.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:13 AM

The hilarious thing with Bogota was seeing that guy call you out who read the local news there, your BS about likely to get killed was labeled exactly what it was. How about you produce for us some crime stats for Bogota on tourists wandering around in neighborhoods they aren't familiar with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia