Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times

Advertisements

BALI. Still a beautiful gorgeous place. But, with that rise in popularity, it consistently brings in more dregs of society looking for a cheap place to get drunk - Kuta Beach. Along with that, more Indonesians from across the nation, are finding it a good place to sell drugs, sell illegal things, and just generally harass tourists which they see as potential ATM machines.

One argument could be that all of Bali is just being ruined. Another element could be that Bali is just as special and unique as ever, people just have to get away from the Kuta region altogether.

Where do you see Bali's future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,499,914 times
Bali has a lot of interesting places that are off the beaten path. The best way to avoid unruly tourists is to avoid the beach resorts. In many ways Bali shares a lot in common with Phuket, but I find Bali more interesting because of the prevalence of temples.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Bali has a lot of interesting places that are off the beaten path. The best way to avoid unruly tourists is to avoid the beach resorts. In many ways Bali shares a lot in common with Phuket, but I find Bali more interesting because of the prevalence of temples.
Yes, the temples in Bali are both plentiful and gorgeous! Just google mapping, drop the guy anywhere on the island, and you are bound to hit a temple, even if its just the little 'house' ones on the corner of a property.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Just stay away from where American and Chinese tourists go and Bali is still enjoyable.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Just stay away from where American and Chinese tourists go and Bali is still enjoyable.
Hmmm ... what about Australian Tourists ?

I would say stay away from any tourists !

Still sad when you know the history of that island and the people and once were part of that society !
The poverty still abounds and the life shows it !

It may follow the history of Hawaii where the locals need at least two jobs to make a fairly decent life ...

Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
BALI. Still a beautiful gorgeous place. But, with that rise in popularity, it consistently brings in more dregs of society looking for a cheap place to get drunk - Kuta Beach. Along with that, more Indonesians from across the nation, are finding it a good place to sell drugs, sell illegal things, and just generally harass tourists which they see as potential ATM machines.

One argument could be that all of Bali is just being ruined. Another element could be that Bali is just as special and unique as ever, people just have to get away from the Kuta region altogether.

Where do you see Bali's future?
Bali is still a beautiful island but like you said the key is just to get away from Kuta. If the drunken sunburned Aussies crowd want to stay in the tourist slums Kuta let them, it's a big island for the rest of us. Some of them probably never leave the one mile radius around there hotel.
But, oh my God the touts. Even in Ubud that's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yeah, like the other guy, it's not American's or even Chinese - it seems the Aussie's love the place because it's close, it's cheap, and it's not Australia. Americans still go but it lost it's allure years...decades ago, and they aren't going to travel all that way just to sit on a beach. Back when I went it was all Aussies, and I took one look at Kuta and got out of there as fast as I could. For Australia, it's like American's version of Cancun - a relatively close place with generic-fake-exotic surroundings (in Kuta at least). They aren't interested in temples, or history, or spiritual awakening. For them it's all about cheap booze, cheap lodging, and getting sunburned on the beach.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
But, oh my God the touts. Even in Ubud that's a problem.
That's one of my largest annoyances. It's possible to avoid the Aussies who are after cheap beer and sun. But, the touts!

Ugh, the touts.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:47 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,897,485 times
I've never been there but some of my Singapore relatives have and their opinions of the place are mixed. One relative absolutely hated the place as an over crowded tourist trap with aggressive service people in their faces for tips.

On the other hand another relative absolutely loves the place. Every year the have a week long family reunion vacation. The rent a large chalet type accommodation that comes with a housekeeper / cook and enjoy themselves.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:18 AM

2,302 posts, read 1,524,778 times
The problem is, in terms of all the Aussie bogans, it is a lot cheaper for people from Perth to go there than go to our east coast. Not that everyone is a bogan, but Bali has its fair share.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I've never been there but some of my Singapore relatives have and their opinions of the place are mixed. One relative absolutely hated the place as an over crowded tourist trap with aggressive service people in their faces for tips.

On the other hand another relative absolutely loves the place. Every year the have a week long family reunion vacation. The rent a large chalet type accommodation that comes with a housekeeper / cook and enjoy themselves.
It certainly seems to be a mix of both.

When I google map it though, WOW. There certainly seems to be a ton of amazing corners of the island to explore. On the other hand, when a person first goes somewhere, it is difficult not to spend time in a place like KUTA which despite the many negative write-ups, also has a large plethora of recommended places to go eat, drink, stay, etc. in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia