Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:43 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times

Advertisements

My impression is that there are more pure Spanish-blood in Manila than in Mexico City. And some of those Filipino girls with Spanish blood are really pretty.

There are exceptions like Imelda Marcos. Before she became really chubby, she was stunningly beautiful. I believe she had Chinese blood.

IMO the Chinese Filipinos should refrain from showing off their wealth. The extravagant Chinese cemetery in Manila is just too much. It seems only ethnic Chinese in Philippines like bragging. Those in Malaysia and Indonesia are more reserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 02:55 PM

1,117 posts, read 842,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
My impression is that there are more pure Spanish-blood in Manila than in Mexico City. And some of those Filipino girls with Spanish blood are really pretty.

There are exceptions like Imelda Marcos. Before she became really chubby, she was stunningly beautiful. I believe she had Chinese blood.

IMO the Chinese Filipinos should refrain from showing off their wealth. The extravagant Chinese cemetery in Manila is just too much. It seems only ethnic Chinese in Philippines like bragging. Those in Malaysia and Indonesia are more reserved.
Haha no. The pure blooded Spanish population in the Philippines is tiny. The white population in Mexico numbers in the millions. In the Philippines, the white-looking Spanish-descendants probably number less than 50,000. They’re almost all famous and from well-known families.

Like the people in this video

Not everyone in the video could pass as pure Spanish. Some of them are clearly mixed. But it’s really rare in the Philippines to see people who look like the ones in the video.

It’s a little more common to see Filipinos who have more distant but still visible Spanish ancestry. Like Manny Pacquiao’s wife for example

This is mestiza type that you can see in some regular Filipinos and they’re not perceived as foreigners.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:25 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

Some who have Spanish ancestry include the Sorianos, who started San Miguel Corporation, but lost control of it to a group led by Eduardo (Danding) Coajuangco, who is past President Corazon Aquino's first cousin. The Coajuangcos are of Chinese ancestry.

Well, the wealthy Filipino Chinese IMO have likely toned down their displays of wealth, due to risks of kidnapping, though this of course is not limiited to those who are not ethnic Chinese. Some wealthy Filipinos have responded by sending their families to live overseas for safety reasons.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:07 PM

1,002 posts, read 907,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
Actually, unlike Indonesia, Thailand or other countries. The Philippines actually has a large minority of people of Latino/Euro descent which isn't present or is very small in the other countries.

13.33% of Filipinos have Spanish/Latino Y-DNA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethn...he_Philippines

Whereas Eurasian Indo people only make up 3 Million in a total Indonesian population of 261 Million.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo_people

It's even less in Malaysia and Thailand.
I can conclude vietnamese and filipinos they look the same in terms of liking or to be , difference vietnamese more worshiping korean and chinese while filipinos to european / american / hispanic, I see not like thais, indonesian, malaysians they prefer topic of comparison of a country or city you see thousands of them there
it is very important to filipinos see the amount of white mixture in their country

Old 10-15-2018, 07:12 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
I blame magellan and king phillilp of spain for this inferiority complex

but it also comes from the natives themselves.

majapahit forever!

keep it pagan

Old 10-15-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
I can conclude vietnamese and filipinos they look the same in terms of liking or to be , difference vietnamese more worshiping korean and chinese while filipinos to european / american / hispanic, I see not like thais, indonesian, malaysians they prefer topic of comparison of a country or city you see thousands of them there
it is very important to filipinos see the amount of white mixture in their country

I would really say in the current Philippines, Korean and American are the most popular foreign influences. Hispanics arent even a factor anymore. And I think Korean pop culture is soon going to surpass American pop culture in the Philippines.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
To answer the OP, a Latin look is generally an advantage in Philippine society, even today. Let us not confuse attractiveness (in appearance), wealth and pop culture with each other.

Pure-blooded Spanish Filipinos are very few in number nowadays. Even if we include the mestizos/mestizas with some Caucasian ancestry, the numbers are small. But there are so many of them in the entertainment industry. Some Caucasian ancestry in the Philippine entertainment industry is common, even if there are so few of them in the general population.

Chinese Filipinos that have pure Chinese ancestry number 1.5 million. If we include mestizos/mestizas with some Chinese ancestry, the number is probably at 25 million. That's a huge population and the Chinese look is therefore "common" in the Philippines. It's not as sought-after as those of European ancestry.

Korean pop culture might be popular but even if one likes to listen to their music or watch their movies, does not automatically mean the ideal appearance of someone will also be like that of the Korean movie stars or singers. Gangnam Style was also a popular hit in the Philippines, just like the rest of the world, but do you actually find Psy to be attractive?

In the APEC Summit 2015 in Manila, ladies were shrieking and treated Justin Trudeau and Enrique Peña Nieto like rock stars. Both were considered very "guapo". Can we consider Trudeau with his French-Canadian heritage as someone with "Latin" appearance? No ladies shrieked because they saw Xi Jinping.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
To answer the OP, a Latin look is generally an advantage in Philippine society, even today. Let us not confuse attractiveness (in appearance), wealth and pop culture with each other.

Pure-blooded Spanish Filipinos are very few in number nowadays. Even if we include the mestizos/mestizas with some Caucasian ancestry, the numbers are small. But there are so many of them in the entertainment industry. Some Caucasian ancestry in the Philippine entertainment industry is common, even if there are so few of them in the general population.

Chinese Filipinos that have pure Chinese ancestry number 1.5 million. If we include mestizos/mestizas with some Chinese ancestry, the number is probably at 25 million. That's a huge population and the Chinese look is therefore "common" in the Philippines. It's not as sought-after as those of European ancestry.

Korean pop culture might be popular but even if one likes to listen to their music or watch their movies, does not automatically mean the ideal appearance of someone will also be like that of the Korean movie stars or singers. Gangnam Style was also a popular hit in the Philippines, just like the rest of the world, but do you actually find Psy to be attractive?

In the APEC Summit 2015 in Manila, ladies were shrieking and treated Justin Trudeau and Enrique Peña Nieto like rock stars. Both were considered very "guapo". Can we consider Trudeau with his French-Canadian heritage as someone with "Latin" appearance? No ladies shrieked because they saw Xi Jinping.

Psy doesnt represent K-Pop's popularity in the Philippines. K-Pop is so much more, and most of the stars (both men and women) are regarded as attractive by Filipinos. Also, Korean dramas are extremely popular in the Philippines. They've completely replaced the Latin telenovelas. So when people tell me that Filipinos like Latin American pop culture more than Asian pop culture, I ask them "Which Latino songs do you hear on the radios of the Philippines? Which Latino telenovelas do you see on the TVs in the Philippines?

Also, it's way too simple to say that Filipino prefer Caucasian features. In reality, Filipinos prefer a mix of East Asian and European looks. There are almost no full white celebrities in the Philippines. The few I can think of are old Filipinos of Spanish descent like Pilita Corrales and Jaime Fabregas. Other than that, you wont see white celebs in Filipino media. Even people who tried to be celebrities (like Travis Kraft) never made it. Filipinos prefer a mixed look rather than a pure white look.

For example, if you ask Filipinos what kind of eyes they prefer, they will either say they have no preference, or they prefer "chinito" eyes (East Asian eyes). The Philippines is probably one of the few countries in Asia where people actually think smaller eyes are more attractive. The smaller eyes are associated with wealth. Bigger eyes are associated more with common people or poor people. So to say that Filipinos worship all Caucasian features is really short-sighted

Old 10-16-2018, 12:36 AM

Also, let's remember that Latinos has many different looks. So when we talk about the "Latin look" being an advantage in the Philippines, it's only true for some looks.

For example, you have Filipinos with this look:

They could easily pass in many Latin American countries. But in the Philippines, having this look is no kind of advantage. They're just commoners. That's why I said you'll find a lot more Latino-looking people in the poorer areas of the Philippines than in the richer areas. I'm talking about the looks like those Filipinos ^

Last edited by manolopo; 10-16-2018 at 01:12 AM..

Old 10-16-2018, 02:32 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Psy doesnt represent K-Pop's popularity in the Philippines. K-Pop is so much more, and most of the stars (both men and women) are regarded as attractive by Filipinos. Also, Korean dramas are extremely popular in the Philippines. They've completely replaced the Latin telenovelas. So when people tell me that Filipinos like Latin American pop culture more than Asian pop culture, I ask them "Which Latino songs do you hear on the radios of the Philippines? Which Latino telenovelas do you see on the TVs in the Philippines?

Also, it's way too simple to say that Filipino prefer Caucasian features. In reality, Filipinos prefer a mix of East Asian and European looks. There are almost no full white celebrities in the Philippines. The few I can think of are old Filipinos of Spanish descent like Pilita Corrales and Jaime Fabregas. Other than that, you wont see white celebs in Filipino media. Even people who tried to be celebrities (like Travis Kraft) never made it. Filipinos prefer a mixed look rather than a pure white look.

For example, if you ask Filipinos what kind of eyes they prefer, they will either say they have no preference, or they prefer "chinito" eyes (East Asian eyes). The Philippines is probably one of the few countries in Asia where people actually think smaller eyes are more attractive. The smaller eyes are associated with wealth. Bigger eyes are associated more with common people or poor people. So to say that Filipinos worship all Caucasian features is really short-sighted

Am not disputing whether K-pop is popular or not. And am not disputing that there are some who find K-pop stars attractive. But an average Korean also does not look like those really attractive K-pop stars, more like Psy. And you don't find many Koreans dating Filipinos.

OP asked a simple question and I gave a simple answer. It's true that there are almost no full white celebrities in the Philippines, but there are hardly any fully white people in the general population as well. I don't know how many tried to be celebrities and never made it, but OP is not trying to be a celebrity.

Oh, I don't agree that everyone prefers East Asian eyes. A "double lid" surgery is among the most common procedures among Koreans and Chinese. Some Chinese Filipinos also had that procedure, so I wouldn't say that's a strong preference. Never heard of big eyes are associated with being poor. Associating something with wealth and preferring them just means there are gold-digging people to be found in every country.

Despacito was a hit in the Philippines, the same as about anywhere, a few years ago. I don't know anything about telenovelas. Anyway, it's true that an East Asian and European (and perhaps Latin) looks are actually preferred in the Philippines. Daniel Matsunaga is one of those that ticks all those boxes, and became one of the major heartthrobs in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia