Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 08:11 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
3. Asian cultures value relationships more than westerners, and so are less likely to divorce, and more likely to divorce on good terms. Just a cultural difference. So that attracts me, because I don't want divorce.
In the Philippines, they can't divorce...Well, they can, but the Church makes it almost impossible to have it be approved. So, instead, you'll meet tons and tons and tons of single mothers absolutely everywhere. And if you go to Hong Kong/Dubai, etc. you'll meet even more.

Many get knocked up abroad, to just about anyone - i.e. any white guy, but Indian/Pakistani/you name it...and they just send the baby back to the Philippines and extended family raises him/her.

They talk A LOT about family values....and they certainly give their paychecks and incomes back to support all of those kids they keep leaving behind...but.

That being said, I can't fault you for being interested in Filipina over whatever else...but they aren't exactly perfect. They have their faults and issues, and divorcing westerners is quite common once they get their western passport/citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
5. Most Americans don't like smart people. They're considered "weird". Asians are opposite. Intelligence is a positive trait.
Intelligence is valued in some Asian countries, like Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam.

The Philippines doesn't have that. You'll be more shocked at how little they know.

Me: "Do Europeans get upset you when you call them Americans?"
Filipina: "They know they are Americans. Of course they wouldn't get upset."

Old 10-29-2018, 08:46 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In the Philippines, they can't divorce...Well, they can, but the Church makes it almost impossible to have it be approved. So, instead, you'll meet tons and tons and tons of single mothers absolutely everywhere. And if you go to Hong Kong/Dubai, etc. you'll meet even more.

They can divorce if they married a Muslim man under Sharia Law, Muslims are willing to violently resist after all. Otherwise the state has no divorce law. They have to make a case for divorce, as in the rest of the world without no fault, and pay a doctor to say the cause for those actions was a preexisting mental condition. At which point you go ahead with a secular annulment case. President Duterte himself has one from his first wife, broke up with his second and has a girlfriend with his daughter from the legal wife serving the First lady duties.

Where the Church comes in is that the Conference of Bishops and another minority church group the INC which can pretty much deliver a 5% block of votes on demand, can pretty much control their congress, the last 3 Presidents have been for adding divorce and liberalizing other parts of the Family Law codes

Old 10-30-2018, 01:22 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Well you can obtain an annulment of marriage in the Philippines which has the same legal effect as a divorce. It's expensive and time consuming. I have a friend from New York whose is going through the process to marry a Filipina in Mindanao.

His girlfriend is Christian. According to him the girlfriend has the option to convert to the Muslim faith and then divorce her husband through the local Sharia court. A Muslim divorce has the force of law in the Philippine legal system. The girlfriend's family is dead set against a conversion so she is continuing the annulment process now.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:26 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
A marriage outside of the US is unlikely to carry any weight in the US. Fathering a child outside the US could have consequences in the US.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Many get knocked up abroad, to just about anyone - i.e. any white guy, but Indian/Pakistani/you name it...and they just send the baby back to the Philippines and extended family raises him/her.

They talk A LOT about family values....and they certainly give their paychecks and incomes back to support all of those kids they keep leaving behind...but.

That being said, I can't fault you for being interested in Filipina over whatever else...but they aren't exactly perfect. They have their faults and issues, and divorcing westerners is quite common once they get their western passport/citizenship.
I don’t know where OP get the idea that Asians don’t divorce. I was on one Asian restaurant and lots of conversation was about 3rd or 4th marriage. Of course, it was a shock to me, so I think it’s a myth. The younger Asians are just like the young Americans.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:18 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Lots of reasons.

1. American women are too obsessed with the idea of being "independent". They don't want to be married. I need a homemaker. Most women in America look down on this perfectly respectable profession. Filipinas are willing to accept this role. The girl who wants to be "independent", well she can just go be "independent" by herself.
2. At my age, all the good ones are taken. Snapped up quickly long ago.
3. Asian cultures value relationships more than westerners, and so are less likely to divorce, and more likely to divorce on good terms. Just a cultural difference. So that attracts me, because I don't want divorce.
4. Half-asian children are super beautiful with lots of hybrid vigor. If I ever have children, I want them to be half-Asian. There are about 2% Asians in my state. I can't afford a long vacation to San Francisco to find a fiancee.
5. Most Americans don't like smart people. They're considered "weird". Asians are opposite. Intelligence is a positive trait.
6. I hate tattoos. I think they're trashy. A big turn-off. American women usually pluck their eyebrows out. Also a very trashy look.
7. I want a healthy mate that isn't obese.
8. Most single American women are Feminist, if they aren't religious fundamentalists or something nuts like that. Feminism isn't about equality, it is about domination. I am not a bully and I won't be henpecked either. I'm not interested in a fight for dominance. I just want to get along and not argue and be happy and grow old together.

Why keep hitting my head against the wall searching for someone I won't find? I've tried for decades. Time to go where the grass is greener.
When there's smoke, there's sure to be a racist, misogynistic fire burning away below.

P.S. My uncle has found on multiple occasions that marrying a much-younger mail-order bride with strange ideas about how she'll be less independent and less likely to divorce (and, if so, on good terms) has proven to be schadenfreude again and again. That's what happens when you treat a whole group of people as a stereotype rather than a human being, and never look in the mirror to figure out why you're not exactly a catch to women in your general zip code.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 PM

22 posts, read 17,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
sexbot and a cat will solve all your problems
I wonder if my uncle has one of those. He got married once for 3 years, then divorced and got a vasectomy. Now he has like 20 cats.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
When there's smoke, there's sure to be a racist, misogynistic fire burning away below.

P.S. My uncle has found on multiple occasions that marrying a much-younger mail-order bride with strange ideas about how she'll be less independent and less likely to divorce (and, if so, on good terms) has proven to be schadenfreude again and again. That's what happens when you treat a whole group of people as a stereotype rather than a human being, and never look in the mirror to figure out why you're not exactly a catch to women in your general zip code.
1. How am I racist? Please be specific.
2. How am I mysogynistic? Because I said I don't like feminism? Let me tell you something, I had a feminist mysandronist grandmother who made my grandfather miserable until he died. Henpecked. Until he died. I don't want that for me. I'm not a feminist or a masculinist. I'm a humanist. I want an equal partnership for a better life with generally agreed-upon but somewhat flexible gender roles. [Footnote 1] I want her to speak her mind (not hold grudges and not say anything). I deeply respect women. In fact, I usually get along with them better than men. My mom is an angel and my sister one of the greatest people I know. I've never cheated on a girlfriend. I just want one that also treats me well. I don't think that is too much to ask.
3. I'm not looking for someone much younger. Later I have a video chat date with a single woman with no kids and she's only 6 years younger. That's difficult to find when you're middle aged, but somehow I got lucky. Well, we'll wait until the date to see if I'm lucky or not. 9 times out of 10, I'm not. I'm sure i'll find out what problems she has later. It would be similar at home. Anyone that old and still unmarried surely has plenty of problems. Just look at me.
4. You sure do like to judge and jump to conclusions. This is only my perception. I'm not judging you for it. Look in the mirror!? Actually I am probably one of the most self-conscious people you'll ever meet, even if it is only by text. I've read self-help books a lot in an effort to become a better person. If you could hear my thoughts, you'd hear me constantly criticizing myself. Maybe I should read another book on that.

[Footnote 1] On gender roles, it is scientifically proven that there are sexual dimorphisms in the brains of mammals. Women are better at certain tasks such as vertical organization. Men are better navigators. I just want a woman that knows what she's good at and knows what I'm good at (and what I'm not, so she can pick up the slack) so we can make a great team.

Last edited by georgeorwell; 10-31-2018 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: remove image

Old 10-31-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don’t know where OP get the idea that Asians don’t divorce. I was on one Asian restaurant and lots of conversation was about 3rd or 4th marriage. Of course, it was a shock to me, so I think it’s a myth. The younger Asians are just like the young Americans.
A higher percent of Asians are more traditional than Americans, simply because the cultures haven't modernized fully yet. It is true that divorce rates are just as high after they get a little money in their pockets. Quite lower in Japan, but as usual, Japan is an outlier. Maybe that is because Japan has relatively reasonable child support rules?

Last edited by georgeorwell; 10-31-2018 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia