Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 11:33 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times

Advertisements

I struggled with where to place this thread, but this was my best guess.

I'm interesting in bringing Japanese and Chinese culture into my home. By that, I mean, I'd like to introduce art, books, music, and any daily rituals that could bring a feel and taste of those far lands into a standard US home.

Recommended books could include culture and history, recommended music would be CDs by accessible artists, rituals could include tea ceremonies, and art could be easily-obtained items from websites.

I suppose I'm seeking suggestions for actual items, and maybe websites using American dollars that help obtain them. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 08:53 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
In my opinion, your best bet would be to bring Japanese and Chinese PEOPLE into your home. And then ask them about their culture and what objects they associate with it. They would probably be flattered if you asked their help in picking out items that would express their culture in a special way, and they may well be willing to do some shopping with you. Another good approach would be to go into the homes of Japanese and Chinese people and examine the items that they have on display.

I assume that there are Japanese or Chinese cultural associations in some cities, so they may be of help. Or, seek out museums dedicated to some aspect of their culture, and go into their gift shops bearing money. One with which I'm familiar is a beautiful garden and museum complex in Delray Beach, Florida called the Morikami Museum, which tells the history of a Japanese agricultural settlement in that location that existed prior to World War II.

https://morikami.org/store/

Old 12-21-2018, 09:57 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In my opinion, your best bet would be to bring Japanese and Chinese PEOPLE into your home. And then ask them about their culture and what objects they associate with it. They would probably be flattered if you asked their help in picking out items that would express their culture in a special way, and they may well be willing to do some shopping with you. Another good approach would be to go into the homes of Japanese and Chinese people and examine the items that they have on display.
true dat!

IMO, putting some Japanese / Chinese objects around the house will mean nothing more than decoration. Perhaps you need to ask this at the House / Decoration forum?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Great advice above, so thanks. Unfortunately, I live in a small town, and it is unlikely that I'll be able to get Asians overseas - or even those in America - to come here. I'm also not able to travel.

I understand and agree that people are more significant than mere items and possessions, but unfortunately, that's the best I can do at the moment.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:59 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
you're better off reading books like romance of the 3 kingdoms and water margin.

For japanese, I recommened musashi and taiko

Old 12-21-2018, 10:10 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Learn Chinese/Japanese cooking and buy the ingredients/cookware. This is probably the only thing Asian people do at their homes in the U.S.

If you are more interested in cultural stuff, you may consider paintings and calligraphy.

My favorite Chinese painting is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Along_...gming_Festival.

This big painting depicts everyday life in ancient Chinese cities.

https://www.amazon.com/Qingming-Fest...gming+Festival

Chinese New York is just around the corner, you may consider chun lian as well.
https://donnavuong.wordpress.com/201...inese-culture/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia