Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 AM

549 posts, read 726,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
in what way, please elaborate?
In my opinion it will be by purchasing large tracts of land for farming and manufacturing. Paying poor wages with lots of danger for Filipinos while exporting the better products. My BIL quit Hanjin to go to work in Qatar as it was safer and paid better wages. He did not want to die or be seriously injured in an on the job accident like so many others that he saw.

Think about Hanjin (Korean for now, Chinese soon?), the dirt mines in Zambales (Chinese building the Scarborough Shoal) and the current situation with rice production and exportation in the RP. Just a few examples but I foresee it coming in much of the same way it has in Africa and other places around the world.

Filipinos aren't sending balikbayan boxes with Jasmine rice back home for no reason. It's a shame and there is no reason for the Phils to sell out to these foreign governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 06:56 AM

549 posts, read 726,879 times
I'm sorry, I didn't intend to step on Dangerous Boy's toes or answer for him. I am only offering my perspective. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:30 AM

10,355 posts, read 15,236,413 times
Its almost a miracle that the Filipinos are hardly mixed with Spanish. They spent over 500 years as a Spanish colony or province and outside Manila there is hardly anyone that is mixed with Spanish or speaks Spanish. I guess the proximity of the rest of the Spanish Empire had a lot to do with that. In Spanish America almost everybody has a significant Spanish ancestry and almost everybody speaks Spanish as a mother tongue.

It also makes sense most want to be an independent country.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:45 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,310,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
obviously you don't know the art of war. Also, I am not bound nor connected with any president, I work on my own trying to uplift the country in whatever small deed I can whoever the president is. my loyalty is to my country first before the president.

i believe PDutz doesnt even know this ancient chinese proverb:

"DONT RIDE A TIGER IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO GET OFF ALIVE"

Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,521,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't intend to step on Dangerous Boy's toes or answer for him. I am only offering my perspective. Thanks.

what you said is true

Old 05-08-2019, 04:59 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,387,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
china will turn you into africa
I'd like to know how as well.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:56 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,521,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Its almost a miracle that the Filipinos are hardly mixed with Spanish. They spent over 500 years as a Spanish colony or province and outside Manila there is hardly anyone that is mixed with Spanish or speaks Spanish. I guess the proximity of the rest of the Spanish Empire had a lot to do with that. In Spanish America almost everybody has a significant Spanish ancestry and almost everybody speaks Spanish as a mother tongue.

how is mixing with the spanish a good thing? Need to stop this white savior inferiority complex. Every former colony suffered under the church and crown like adam smith said. La leyendra negra. It would have been better for the islands of king phillip of spain to stay under the rajahnate of cebu and tondo. That would be true independence. Idealogically, mentally, spiritually, and culturally.

garuda forever!

Old 05-08-2019, 07:18 PM

129 posts, read 333,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The Philippines isn't that bad off right now. The economy is doing quite well with arguably the best growth in Southeast Asia. Tourism numbers are doing fine, too.

I love to visit frequently myself. <3

ask the local farmer or the standby living in the mountain how they're doing

Or the sales rep they might have a car and they might have a cell phone

But people are not doing as well as you think

Just wait till 100 million mainland Chinese arrive there

Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 PM

1,117 posts, read 851,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

The Spanish language isnt dead in the Philippines because it's a big part of the languages there.

You can probably understand a lot of this Tagalog newscast if you know Spanish (and English helps too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goTRSYSEmV0

Then there's Chavacano, which is 70% Spanish words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkTU8ItjKDQ

The average Filipino is 5% European. So there was mixing going on, just not as much as Latin America, obviously.

https://genographic.nationalgeograph...ions-next-gen/
Investigating European admixture in GERA East Asians.

And Manila isn't where the most Spanish mixture is. It's in the Visayas, in the rural areas. Some Spanish families there still own sugar cane plantations.

Some Spanish-descendants still living in the Philippines...

In my experience, they usually speak English as their first language or a local language like Bisayan or Tagalog. They can usually speak some Spanish too, but not as a first language.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:34 AM

732 posts, read 785,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
i believe PDutz doesnt even know this ancient chinese proverb:

"DONT RIDE A TIGER IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO GET OFF ALIVE"
Why would he ride a tiger? When he can ride a dragon. China isnt a tiger afaik. Wrong proverb mate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia