Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:01 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,154,257 times

Advertisements

Really horrifying

How China Uses High-Tech Surveillance to Subdue Minorities
By Chris Buckley and Paul Mozur

A New York Times investigation drawing on government and company records as well as interviews with industry insiders found that China is in effect hard-wiring Xinjiang for segregated surveillance, using an army of security personnel to compel ethnic minorities to submit to monitoring and data collection while generally ignoring the majority Han Chinese, who make up 36 percent of Xinjiang’s population.

It is a virtual cage that complements the indoctrination camps in Xinjiang where the authorities have detained a million or more Uighurs and other Muslims in a push to transform them into secular citizens who will never challenge the ruling Communist Party. The program helps identify people to be sent to the camps or investigated, and keeps tabs on them when they are released.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/w...-xinjiang.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 07:04 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,980,425 times
China copies what Face Book/Google taught them.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,495,955 times
better hope the center kingdom collapse because you'll be next in the concentration camp

Old 05-28-2019, 10:52 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,036,010 times
What a great country, monocultural, 93% atheists and no muslims. It will take another 1000 years for the west to catch up with such mentality, and they never will.

It's also funny how before the rise of China western media only criticized christian countries now out of a sudden atheism is bad..."because china takes our dollars".

Old 05-29-2019, 03:33 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,495,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
What a great country, monocultural, 93% atheists and no muslims. It will take another 1000 years for the west to catch up with such mentality, and they never will.

It's also funny how before the rise of China western media only criticized christian countries now out of a sudden atheism is bad..."because china takes our dollars".

and a dictatorship where I cannot vote. They also persecute buddhists. THey conveniently persecute muslims in xinjiang but look the other way when dealing with pakistan and trading oil with Iran.

There's nothing wrong with atheism. Germany put people in concentration camps too.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,564,684 times
It isn't the minorities that are monitored, everyone in China is monitored, they have exit bans on foreigners (and citizens) so they can't leave/escape

other countries have "entrance" bans, but if you want to leave, they are glad to see you go, China operates on the exit bans to hold people hostage

Old 05-29-2019, 05:36 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,776,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
It isn't the minorities that are monitored, everyone in China is monitored, they have exit bans on foreigners (and citizens) so they can't leave/escape

other countries have "entrance" bans, but if you want to leave, they are glad to see you go, China operates on the exit bans to hold people hostage
What's your point?
In the US people who are in lawsuit can be forbidden to leave too.
Ordinary Chinese citizens including myself enter and leave China every year without any issue.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,776,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
and a dictatorship where I cannot vote. They also persecute buddhists. THey conveniently persecute muslims in xinjiang but look the other way when dealing with pakistan and trading oil with Iran.

There's nothing wrong with atheism. Germany put people in concentration camps too.
They may be "persecuted" but not because they are Buddhists or Muslims.

(I wrote for others to see. I know you are a troll and it is pointless to have a conversation with you.)

Old 05-30-2019, 07:27 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,890,264 times
For the most part here, so long as you keep your head down and don't run into any trouble or end up in any sort of conflict with a local, your life goes on per normal. I'm quite certain I'm "on their radar," due to my standing in the foreign community, but I don't do anything bad so thus far, I haven't had any real issues. Hopefully it stays that way.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:37 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,933,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
For the most part here, so long as you keep your head down and don't run into any trouble or end up in any sort of conflict with a local, your life goes on per normal. I'm quite certain I'm "on their radar," due to my standing in the foreign community, but I don't do anything bad so thus far, I haven't had any real issues. Hopefully it stays that way.
The issue is really one of privacy violations via the use of technology, a lesson on how it can be misused. In Western China provinces like Tibet and neighboring provinces it's practically last century/East Berlin type treatment including up to only a few years ago shooting citizens that dared try to escape the country, crossing borders into Nepal as if they were climbing over the Berlin Wall. Now China is on the forefront of surveillance technology. Yes, as a visiting business person in a high tech field I am "on the radar" as well, besides getting a laptop full of spyware on each trip and the realization that I can't take a crap without someone recording it, they don't bother me. But it's there, it's invasive. And if they ever decide to crack down for whatever reason in the much more modern and progressive east of china as they do in the western provinces, they have the tools to do it. The population doesn't help it by everyone having a cell phone with Chinese government systems and apps installed.

It's also a warning to the western democracies of the U.S. and Europe. These tools are there, and one must be proactive to control and limit all these technological intrusions. Americans are paranoid about it, and that's a good thing. Europeans from my exposure, not so much as they much prefer the artificial protection of collective, rather than individual, freedoms. They may get them in trouble. UK for instance have more public cameras, complete with facial recognition software, per person that any country in the world. All for crime and defense. However what happens if there comes a time when a government chooses to misuse this technology, or the government system shifts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia