Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:47 AM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times

Advertisements

Please add flying carpets and snake charmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 05:16 PM

419 posts, read 342,692 times
So, most suggest north africa, thanks for suggestions. I also don't think that Uzbekistan is so relevant to the middle east
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That all being said - belly dancing, camel rides, etc. Yeah you can go to Egypt and experience all that. But they are tourist gimmicks. Your average Egyptian doesn't go to work on a camel and then sit down for dinner to watch a belly dance.
that's all i wanted, to contact middle eastern culture as a tourist from Europe, I am aware that people in real life do not celebrate these things anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
don't forget Jinn

Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
The Central Asian -Stans might qualify, except they are heavily overlain with Soviet infrastructure. But places like Osh would still be interesting, or get out into the rural towns of Kyrgyzstan. Those places still celebrate the steppe culture and are re-Islamizing.

You might also find it in the disputed territories of Kashmir, in northern India/Pakistan/..

Last edited by cebuan; 06-07-2019 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 07:31 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The Central Asian -Stans might qualify, except they are heavily overlain with Soviet infrastructure. But places like Osh would still be interesting, or get out into the rural towns of Kyrgyzstan. Those places still celebrate the steppe culture and are re-Islamizing.

You might also find it in the disputed territories of Kashmir, in northern India/Pakistan/..

Sounds like an “oriental experience” I’d pass on. Seems like places you would need an AK 47 to ward off the locals.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
Sounds like an “oriental experience†I’d pass on. Seems like places you would need an AK 47 to ward off the locals.
The locals in that area are some of the most welcoming I've come across in the world. You are probably much safer there than in many places in the Middle East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
So, most suggest north africa, thanks for suggestions. I also don't think that Uzbekistan is so relevant to the middle east

that's all i wanted, to contact middle eastern culture as a tourist from Europe, I am aware that people in real life do not celebrate these things anymore

don't forget Jinn
The OP didn't specify Middle East and Turkey can arguably be considered more culturally tied to Central Asia than the Middle East since they share ethnic ties with the Central Asian Turkic people. A lot of the perception and culture of the "Orient" actually originates from Central Asia.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 PM

203 posts, read 121,529 times
Quote:
There are plenty of snake charmers in Jma El Fna in Marrakesh. No flying carpets but tons of hanging ones in the medina souks. Also, pink-brown geometric architecture, dazzling tilework, spice markets, camels, belly dancers, djellaba-clad men, and nearly everything else the OP wants to experience.

OP, I would suggest Morocco to you, especially Marrakesh, Fez, and Meknes. I understand what you want to experience. It's all there in Morocco!

Old 06-08-2019, 06:44 AM

419 posts, read 342,692 times
Guys i am not interested at all in central Asian countries. Ihave been to most of Europe, and now i am interested to experience middle east (which is something very different from central Asia regardless from common religion) far east (China and Japan, not tropical places like Thailand or Vietnam) and India, starting from the middle east

Therefore -stan countries are already excluded

A landscape like this (in the second half of the video)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi52HjJbwVQ

Is a good example of what i am looking for
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
The OP didn't specify Middle East and Turkey can arguably be considered more culturally tied to Central Asia than the Middle East since they share ethnic ties with the Central Asian Turkic people. A lot of the perception and culture of the "Orient" actually originates from Central Asia.
I think that Turks are mostly influenced by Persians who certainly aren't Arabs. I have been told that Persians are very different from Arabs, but you have to be from west Asia to be able to recognize this fact, for the standards of Europeans all of these people are similar (even if in fact they're not), meanwhile central Asians give a different impression because of physical appearence (slanted eyes) and far east influence in their civilization. But (back to turkey) Semitic/Arabic influence is important

Last edited by Giannis; 06-08-2019 at 06:52 AM..

Old 06-08-2019, 07:05 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
The Morocco Pavilion at the Epcot Center in Orlando, FL!

Old 06-08-2019, 08:52 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
Guys i am not interested at all in central Asian countries. Ihave been to most of Europe, and now i am interested to experience middle east (which is something very different from central Asia regardless from common religion) far east (China and Japan, not tropical places like Thailand or Vietnam) and India, starting from the middle east

Therefore -stan countries are already excluded

A landscape like this (in the second half of the video)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi52HjJbwVQ

Is a good example of what i am looking for

I think that Turks are mostly influenced by Persians who certainly aren't Arabs. I have been told that Persians are very different from Arabs, but you have to be from west Asia to be able to recognize this fact, for the standards of Europeans all of these people are similar (even if in fact they're not), meanwhile central Asians give a different impression because of physical appearence (slanted eyes) and far east influence in their civilization. But (back to turkey) Semitic/Arabic influence is important
You're probably going to be interested in Morocco, Egypt and parts of Mauritania.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:14 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
I would suggest Saudi Arabia but that nation is pretty much off limits to any non-Muslims. The closest doable country then is Jordan which I read somewhere is the most Arabic of all Middle Eastern countries other than Saudi Arabia. For more authentic experiences, go to locations away from Amman, the capital city, and touristy sites like Petra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia