Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:28 AM

70 posts, read 56,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I visited both Kolkata and Delhi. When I was in Delhi there were very few women walking around anywhere, and I often travel wearing shorts, and it was such a conservative place that some men were pointing at my exposed legs and talking about them.
You're not supposed to wear shorts in Muslims areas according to my wife, who is Indian. I have been to India many times and she would never let me wear shorts when we go into Muslim neighborhoods. It's apparently quite offensive to them (even though peeing on a sidewalk or riding a motorcycle with 3 people is fine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Doesn’t Americans need a visa to go to India? If so, that restricts a lot the amount of tourists from this place.
You can get an e-tourist online visa beforehand which is super easy to apply for and get approved. Takes about a day to get approval.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:59 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
My coworker has told me that south India is more educated than north India and this is one of the reasons why the north tends to hang on to archaic notions of inequality between men and women.

The person who just mentioned in a comment about going to a bar. Yes, this is another thing my coworkers told me about. They said if a woman goes to a bar in India, the men view them as being there for only one reason - to look for sex - and in that situation men will get very aggressive towards the woman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That and his comment "woman stare at me like I am a rock star" have me wondering if he is simply pulling our leg and in reality he's never been out of the US before in his life.
Perhaps.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:11 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
The people everywhere were quite conservative though. I went into a bar in Bangalore, and some Indian guy asked me if I was there to find women to F***. He literally said that to me in those words, and he wasn't a pimp. He said it as if he assumed that any man in a bar must only go to bars for one reason only. I looked around and saw upper class educated people, it was very well-to-do patrons; and that was his assumption.
This kind of thing happens in bars anywhere though. I once was sitting at a bar in New Orleans and a young woman came up to me and immediately asked me if I wanted to have sex with her. I told her that I was flattered by her offer and that she was sexy but I was actually traveling with family. lol

Men and women regularly hit on each other at bars all over the world. That’s what they are for, to a large extent.

I had a good time in a bar on Park Street in Kolkata though.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This kind of thing happens in bars anywhere though. I once was sitting at a bar in New Orleans and a young woman came up to me and immediately asked me if I wanted to have sex with her. I told her that I was flattered by her offer and that she was sexy but I was actually traveling with family. lol

Men and women regularly hit on each other at bars all over the world. That’s what they are for, to a large extent.

I had a good time in a bar on Park Street in Kolkata though.
Yeah, I understand that. But, have you went into a bar in a normal New Orleans bar at an early hour (8:30pm-ish) and had a WAITER ask you point blank, "you are here to Fu**?"

Literally....the waiter...and using the F-Word to the customer, and the bar is not a sex-hooker place, but an upscale place with just people talking/drinking after-work, like a normal-as-can-be type of bar with nothing questionable going on whatsoever. The only thing happening there were women in business attire who had a beer while mingling with their co-workers, and that was it.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 07-17-2019 at 09:13 AM..

Old 07-17-2019, 08:56 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Yeah, I understand that. But, have you went into a bar in a normal New Orleans bar at an early hour (8:30pm-ish) and had a WAITER ask you point blank, "you are here to Fu** somebody?"

Literally....the waiter...and using the F-Word to the customer, and the bar is not a sex-hooker place, but an upscale place with just people talking/drinking after-work, like a normal-as-can-be type of bar with nothing questionable going on whatsoever. The only thing happening was there were women in business attire who had a beer while mingling with their co-workers, and that was it.
Yeah, that would be out of line. Sounds like the guy was an a-hole.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperi33 View Post
You're not supposed to wear shorts in Muslims areas according to my wife, who is Indian. I have been to India many times and she would never let me wear shorts when we go into Muslim neighborhoods. It's apparently quite offensive to them (even though peeing on a sidewalk or riding a motorcycle with 3 people is fine).
Only children wear shorts in India (and a number of other developing countries). Tourists generally get a pass however.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
Quote:
Only children wear shorts in India (and a number of other developing countries). Tourists generally get a pass however.
How can people not wear shorts when it’s 110F with 100% humidity?

Old 07-17-2019, 12:18 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
How can people not wear shorts when it’s 110F with 100% humidity?
You got me. Long pants and in many cases button down long sleeve shirts that maybe haven't been changed for several days! They acclimatize I guess.

Expect the sweet smell of armpits and curry when walking into a crowded public place kind of mixed together. When you go - just wear loose fitting shorts and cotton tshirts. They will know you are a tourist regardless.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
That’s true. It’s pretty rare to see someone wearing shorts in general. However, in Muslim neighborhoods, you will apparently be particularly judged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia