Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 12:21 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times

Advertisements

Kpop to me sounds like American pop, but in Korean. People seem to really really like American pop/hip hop/etc, so that's my take on it. I think it sounds the same, so it's a hard pass for me. Jpop was creative, though I've been out of the loop for awhile. I liked Hangry & Angry. I don't know much about Cpop, but what I've heard sounds good. Seems somewhat advertised over here in Chinatown, NYC.

But really, better music is played in the raves and clubs on the streets. I'll take Hardgate at Clubasia in Tokyo over any pop. Cool to see idols playing out in the open every once in a while though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 01:50 PM

1,110 posts, read 982,635 times
internationally you mean western, right? the entire western world is smaller than China. so why do china care about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Kpop just studied Jpop and made it better.
China never scores high internationally in entertainment.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:31 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
You're probably right though I can name only 2 chinese singers one of which is "Han chinese" from Malaysia (Namewee). The other one is Hong-Kongian Gloria Tang (GEM). GEM has made a song about American movie "Passengers" and speaks more or less English.
These are really random people to know. They aren't even that famous. I didn't even know who tf Namewee was before googling him and Gloria Tang seems to be more famous for being objectified than for her music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Kpop to me sounds like American pop, but in Korean. People seem to really really like American pop/hip hop/etc, so that's my take on it. I think it sounds the same, so it's a hard pass for me. Jpop was creative, though I've been out of the loop for awhile. I liked Hangry & Angry. I don't know much about Cpop, but what I've heard sounds good. Seems somewhat advertised over here in Chinatown, NYC.
Kpop to me is just obnoxious. Obnoxious music, obnoxious marketing, obnoxious fans.

Jpop sounds really ... unoriginal, for the most part. Like they have a handful of solid tunes and all the composers have been recycling them since their heyday.

Mandopop (actually all media in Chinese languages) is beyond pathetic. Even Eurovision is better. At least it's funny.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:39 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Kpop to me sounds like American pop, but in Korean.

Based on what? Since very recently: yes, I agree...more and more American composers and producers run into kpop since it's very mainstream these days and they re-orientate for one simple reason I guess: money.

But before american music-doers came into kpop if you watch the 2010-2015 groups it's more original.

Jpop: it's nice OK though for some reason I find some of the videos weird if not pedophilic lol...it's no secret Japan has some issues with pedophilia. It's also known Jrock and j-hiphop is more popular over there.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:42 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

It's my opinion GEM isn't known solely for her looks but her singing is at quite some level, if you want objectified singers in fact Kpop has numbers of very young beauties with questionable singing abilities coming from companies owned by men. In fact you may not know this but there's currently massive scandal in the biggest kpop company since their boss was caught to be involved in prostitution (pimp...).

As to China and culture: if you count the HK (China??) action movies or the recent blockbusters it's not so dead over there culture-wise.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:53 AM

661 posts, read 631,192 times
I don't understand it myself, but both my teenage daughters are crazy over K-POP.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:22 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
internationally you mean western, right? the entire western world is smaller than China. so why do china care about them?
Lol, "the West" includes the Americas and Europe, who combined do have a larger population than China, and also take up a significant multicontinental chunk of the globe that includes different cultures, languages, histories, etc. China has a billion and a half people in the same borders, 95% of whom share the same ethnic background.

The rest of the world (Africa, Middle East, the rest of Asia) doesn't care about C-pop or Chinese media either because it's made solely to appeal to local markets and attempts to market it abroad largely fall flat.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:37 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
In fact you may not know this but there's currently massive scandal in the biggest kpop company since their boss was caught to be involved in prostitution (pimp...).
I do know this. I am much closer to Korea than you are after all. It was on the news.

Quote:
As to China and culture: if you count the HK (China??) action movies or the recent blockbusters it's not so dead over there culture-wise.
What action movies and recent blockbusters? HK hasn't produced anything worth watching since like 2003 or something.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:06 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
It's my opinion GEM isn't known solely for her looks but her singing is at quite some level, if you want objectified singers in fact Kpop has numbers of very young beauties with questionable singing abilities coming from companies owned by men. In fact you may not know this but there's currently massive scandal in the biggest kpop company since their boss was caught to be involved in prostitution (pimp...).

HK cinema isnt doing so hot compared to its heyday, and Chinese cinema is largely unnoticed outside of China and, to a lesser extent, the sinosphere at large. They are generally pretty formulaic and due to state censors and guidelines, have to stay within guidelines that often stifle the creativity that would help them appeal to international audiences.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 13,440 times
I just find it interesting that so many Asians have the views of Westerners when it comes to black people, but Kpop is nothing more than parroted black culture being popularized by a completely separate group. It's amazing that 13% of America's population has this much cultural influence that peoples from across the globe adopt what we do, and will feel self righteous enough in the future to wholly deny it's African American roots.

"In Korea and among K-pop fans, the term K-pop really refers to idol music, or the musicians who make up the immediate mainstream. If we’re talking “Korean popular music,” there’s more to it than just pop, Choi said. It includes K-hip-hop, K-indie, K-rock, and more. K-hip-hop especially has a very prominent position next to idol music and is more or less just as guilty of appropriating culture—especially black culture."

https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/kp...appropriation/

"Donna Lee Kwon, a professor in ethnomusicology at the University of Kentucky and a researcher of Korean, Asian and Asian-American popular music, says “appropriating from various sources, including African-American dance-oriented R&B and hip-hop, was integral to K-pop from the time of Seo Taiji, who many credit as the founder of modern K-pop”.

https://www.scmp.com/culture/music/a...orea-improving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia