Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 01:03 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,088,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
How can you be so sure that the next generation would behave differently than their past generations? You assume a lot of things and you never have any evidence.
I said it is likely because the generation who attended university during the 80s are much more liberal than the generation who grew up under the cultural revolution and the cold war. The party is not one person, that is why the party tends to be similar to the generation who holds the power. Currently all members except 3 in the Politburo are born in the 50s. Soon that will change.

It is not certain that the next chinese leader will be pro liberal reform, but you make seem like an impossibility, when in fact all leaders between Mao and Xi Jinping was pro liberal reform.

Here is a summary of your "arguments".
Me: "China is likely to go back to its pro-reform track after Xi Jinping due to the next generation holding different values"
You: "What about Kim Jong Un, some people thought he would open up and he attended swiss school"
Me: "He attended a few years in swiss middle school, most of his education is from North Korean school. Also he has to work with other politicans who did not attend swiss school"
You: "But the next chinese leader has to work with other politicans too"
Me: "The other politicans will also be from the next generation"
You: "I am a native speaker, therefore all my arguments are correct"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 01:22 AM

8,876 posts, read 8,483,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I said it is likely because the generation who attended university during the 80s are much more liberal than the generation who grew up under the cultural revolution and the cold war. The party is not one person, that is why the party tends to be similar to the generation who holds the power. Currently all members except 3 in the Politburo are born in the 50s. Soon that will change.

It is not certain that the next chinese leader will be pro liberal reform, but you make seem like an impossibility, when in fact all leaders between Mao and Xi Jinping was pro liberal reform.

Here is a summary of your "arguments".
Me: "China is likely to go back to its pro-reform track after Xi Jinping due to the next generation holding different values"
You: "What about Kim Jong Un, some people thought he would open up and he attended swiss school"
Me: "He attended a few years in swiss middle school, most of his education is from North Korean school. Also he has to work with other politicans who did not attend swiss school"
You: "But the next chinese leader has to work with other politicans too"
Me: "The other politicans will also be from the next generation"
You: "I am a native speaker, therefore all my arguments are correct"
If the new generation = pro-liberal reform, how do you explain the difference between the last administration and the current one? Jiang is from an even older generation. Sanders is much older than Trump and who's more liberal?

And when have I ever said all my arguments are correct because I'm a native speaker? I simply suggested possibilities which are just as likely as yours, if not more.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
If the new generation = pro-liberal reform, how do you explain the difference between the last administration and the current one? Jiang is from an even older generation. Sanders is much older than Trump and who's more liberal?
Because its not a about age, but about experiences.

What changed Xi Jinping generation was that they grew up under the cultural revolution. Xi Jinping father got purged and sent to work in a factory. Later Xi Jinping got sent to village, he tried to escape, he got caught and was sent to dig ditches. Then he returned to the vilage, became a village leader, joined the party and was one of the first to attend university.

What lessons do you think he learned from those years? He learned that life is a struggle and you need to always look over your shoulder for enemies. The generation who attended university in the 80s learned a totally different lesson.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Because its not a about age, but about experiences.

What changed Xi Jinping generation was that they grew up under the cultural revolution. Xi Jinping father got purged and sent to work in a factory. Later Xi Jinping got sent to village, he tried to escape, he got caught and was sent to dig ditches. Then he returned to the vilage, became a village leader, joined the party and was one of the first to attend university.

What lessons do you think he learned from those years? He learned that life is a struggle and you need to always look over your shoulder for enemies. The generation who attended university in the 80s learned a totally different lesson.
I don't see how any of this has anything to do with his policies and cult of personality.

Merkel grew up in East Germany, and?

Old 09-09-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
I don't see how any of this has anything to do with his policies and cult of personality.
If you cannot even see how the cultural revolution affected the 50s generation, and how that influenced their leadership style, then you will never understand Chinese politics.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 AM

Now the protestors just try to destroy everything
https://www.scmp.com/video/hong-kong...ests-hong-kong

Do they really think this will force Beijing to give them what they want?

Old 09-09-2019, 01:34 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,150,895 times
There is a reason the radical demonstrators destroyed the subway.

Because the subway (and other public transportation company like bus) used to be politically neutral or even pro-demonstrators. When the demonstrators went home, the company even put on an extra train which was not in the regular schedule.

But after CCTV commented that the subway should not help the demonstrators, the subway company changed its attitude and frequently closed some stations, or even some trains skipped the stop when the demonstrators tried to board the train.

Such change did not even irk the demonstrators, but also ordinary passengers. Many question if the subway is "CCP's subway" or "HKer's subway".

In some cases, the subway even offered exclusive trains for the police to ship their forces to the station where demonstration happened in the vicinity.

So that is why the radical demonstrators revenged by destroying the subway.

It is better for CCP media to quit further comment which will inflame the demonstration.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:46 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,150,895 times
Tycoon Li Ka Shing suggested yesterday that a blanket amnesty should be applied to all young demonstrators.

In fact, many people have already proposed that a blanket amnesty should be applied to everyone involved in the multi-demonstrations since 6/9, including police (who may be alleged of brutality) and Triad.

Beijing may not be happy. But Carrie Lam also formally withdrew the extradition bill last week when Beijing announced that it would never yield to demonstrators one day earlier.

If Beijing doesn't like it, just don't mention it in their media. They also didn't report the bill was withdrawn.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 09-09-2019 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
If you cannot even see how the cultural revolution affected the 50s generation, and how that influenced their leadership style, then you will never understand Chinese politics.
Again, assumptions. There is no way for you to know what the next president would be like.

Merkel grew up in East Germany. Please inform me, how has that experience affected her politics? Is she a cult personality like Xi?

Old 09-09-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Merkel grew up in East Germany. Please inform me, how has that experience affected her politics? Is she a cult personality like Xi?
I do not know much about Merkel life, but it took a minute to figure out that you are talking nonsense and her life experiences are in no in any way similar to Xi Jinping.

Are you under the assumption that life in east germany was similar to life in under cultural revolution just because both countries called themselves communist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia