Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 01:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,150,070 times

Advertisements

Toby:

The only scenario that Hong Kong will become independent is like Singapore: For example, Hong Kong is kicked out by China as Singapore was kicked out by Malaysia.

Beijing has hundred ways to suffocate Hong Kong. Nobody in Hong Kong is that stupid to really advocate independence except for a few radicals.

But genetically I would say 70-80% of total population in Hong Kong is dreadful, hateful or at least pissed off by Beijing, including those who are vocally pro-Beijing. There are a lot of historical factors and has nothing to do with British colonial education as widely believed in China. In fact, the British education authority didn't care what was taught in Chinese Language and Chinese History classes (Only these two subjects were taught in Chinese in most schools). As long as the World History Class (instructed in English) didn't teach Opium War as the War on opium trade, they were fine.

Now I doubt the wisdom of Deng. Hong Kong had nothing special. Its hardware like infrastructure could be easily duplicated in China which CCP did. Its software like judicial system which now under criticism in China can also be duplicated if they wish according to Chinese. The island is so tiny that you can find hundreds of similar size scattered along China's coast. Even missing this tiny piece, you can't even notice on the map.

So what Deng could get was only 7 million unruly population. Deng's successors thought that they could change the thinking of these 7 millions in 50 years. But 22 years passed and it is getting worse.

I would say brainwashing is a pretty tough job, unless it is conducted in a really concealed environment, i.e. Tibet. But why picked up such tough job in the first place? What can China gain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 02:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,150,070 times
My advice is "Let it go" as the song lyric in "Frozen" says.

It does not mean China let Hong Kong become independent or lease it to UK or US. China can turn Hong Kong into a free neutral port city like Danzig (now Gdansk) as between WWI and WWII.

China is now leasing a port in Sri Lanka for 99 years. China can sign a similar lease with the Hong Kong government for 99 years which she is the lessor instead of lessee. Each year Hong Kong has to pay rent for the lease (to calm most Chinese who complain that Hong Kong pay no tax to Beijing). The City must be neutral, cannot serve as a foreign naval base, nor can it become independent. Hong Kong people can call whatever they want but not an independent country.

Then Beijing should give up their hold on Hong Kong. Let them really vote their own leader and legislators. It also doesn't make a dent on the national map since China is not ceding the land in perpetuity.

And if Hong Kong cannot survive on their own and beg to rejoin China in a few years, then Beijing can set tougher term for rejoining. That was what Malaysia expected Singapore to do.

I just watched on CCTV State Council news speaker Ms Hua was so angry in denouncing Joshua Wong two times in a day. Wong is just a 22-year old kid. Is it worth to be so furious over him? If China gives what Hong Kong wants, they would not badmouth Beijing.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 AM

1,136 posts, read 530,152 times
Most HK people born before the 1990s don't think about HK independence.
Most of the people advocating are young people who were babies in 1997 or were born after 1997. They are not mature enough to think deeply about it.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:09 AM

1,136 posts, read 530,152 times
Radicals destroying things have no rational reasons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
There is a reason the radical demonstrators destroyed the subway.

Because the subway (and other public transportation company like bus) used to be politically neutral or even pro-demonstrators. When the demonstrators went home, the company even put on an extra train which was not in the regular schedule.

But after CCTV commented that the subway should not help the demonstrators, the subway company changed its attitude and frequently closed some stations, or even some trains skipped the stop when the demonstrators tried to board the train.

Such change did not even irk the demonstrators, but also ordinary passengers. Many question if the subway is "CCP's subway" or "HKer's subway".

In some cases, the subway even offered exclusive trains for the police to ship their forces to the station where demonstration happened in the vicinity.

So that is why the radical demonstrators revenged by destroying the subway.

It is better for CCP media to quit further comment which will inflame the demonstration.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:40 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,499,552 times
HK's future

https://news.sky.com/story/chinas-de...entic-11815401

Old 09-22-2019, 06:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,479,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Considering what is going on I say why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk4P1oeItOA&app=desktop

I am all for the PLA going into HK. If they have too.

China does things the way they do for a reason. If people knew the history of China, all the wars, rebellions, chaos and catastrophies that come all to easily to the land then people would understand why things are done the way they are.

China needs to move ahead. To go back to the old ways means 1.5 billion people under the hooves of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse ffs.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:09 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,499,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Considering what is going on I say why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk4P1oeItOA&app=desktop

I am all for the PLA going into HK. If they have too.

China does things the way they do for a reason. If people knew the history of China, all the wars, rebellions, chaos and catastrophies that come all to easily to the land then people would understand why things are done the way they are.

China needs to move ahead. To go back to the old ways means 1.5 billion people under the hooves of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse ffs.

actually its more like the battle of red cliffs and Xi is Cao Cao.

CHina won't move ahead. They need hong kong. Unless they are going to keep hacking and conducting IP theft, the PLA won't invade HK. HK is still their gate to the western world.

Xi may want globalization but only under CCP rule. If china wants its that way, then they should have a yellow turban rebellion.

Never trust a communist.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:47 PM

75 posts, read 35,359 times
Western nations, are you ready for a few millions of HK refugees? As a US citizen myself, I think we should stay out of China's mess. Let them clean up their own poop.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:19 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,316,871 times
Some of my HK friends swear CIA is behind the scene inciting the movement. Do you think it's true?

They said one of the evidences is high quality tear gas masks are abundantly available...

Old 09-27-2019, 08:59 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,896,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Some of my HK friends swear CIA is behind the scene inciting the movement. Do you think it's true?

They said one of the evidences is high quality tear gas masks are abundantly available...
I know a lot of mainlanders who believe this but not a single HK'er.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia