Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 06:44 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,136,135 times

Advertisements

For all the hoopla about Hong Kong's advantages ("the rule of law", "Anglo foreign judges", "Heritage Foundation winner of Economic Freedom", "Free Internet", "Westernized population", and "Free Speech") over the Mainland, Hong Kong has not created a single major technology company or any new corporation (can anyone name a internationally successful HK company?). The economy is still dominated by the opium dealing parasites like Jardine Matheson, HSBC, and Swire or the local utility monopolies. Strange enough, Shenzhen which was a small fishing village is now a tech center and the "uncreative" Mainland "locusts" are creating far more innovative companies than Westernized Hong Kongers. Hong Kong's GDP before the handover was at 20% of the Mainland's GDP but now it's a mere 3%. Since the Mainland is less reliant on foreign capital than before, HK's role is becoming less and less important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,375,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
For all the hoopla about Hong Kong's advantages ("the rule of law", "Anglo foreign judges", "Heritage Foundation winner of Economic Freedom", "Free Internet", "Westernized population", and "Free Speech") over the Mainland, Hong Kong has not created a single major technology company or any new corporation (can anyone name a internationally successful HK company?). The economy is still dominated by the opium dealing parasites like Jardine Matheson, HSBC, and Swire or the local utility monopolies. Strange enough, Shenzhen which was a small fishing village is now a tech center and the "uncreative" Mainland "locusts" are creating far more innovative companies than Westernized Hong Kongers. Hong Kong's GDP before the handover was at 20% of the Mainland's GDP but now it's a mere 3%. Since the Mainland is less reliant on foreign capital than before, HK's role is becoming less and less important.
That's irrelevant to what Hong Kong's role is --- as a financial center, logistics and regional HQ center. It has that because of its legal system, efficient transport hub and foreigner friendly environment. Which is why a lot of China companies like listing shares in their exchanges because of the opaqueness of the Chinese financial system.

HK never was a technology or R&D hub - that's not its strength.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:13 PM

8,873 posts, read 8,464,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Did you follow what happened yesterday? Not only did they cause massive economic damage by blocking the airport, they also found a chinese reporter, looked through his documents and tied him up cultural revolution style. After some time they started to kick him and he was sent away with an ambulance.

I also saw a lot of people throwing things at cars in the airport, and they were a massive nuisance for travellers.
Geez, blocking the airport after 10 weeks of nothing from the government. What a bunch of monsters!

Old 08-15-2019, 09:13 AM

1,136 posts, read 528,348 times
He hasn't been following, he was misleaded by some media.

My co workers witnessed police stations being attacked with bricks and arson outside this month. There were also many other incidents.

Do you think all the videos are fake? It is now more than two months and you still say the protestors are completely peaceful. If you don't trust the Mainland Chinese or Hong Kong people, you can ask the Taiwanese in HK what the young HK protestors did and how many times they were not peaceful since the start of June.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The protest is completely peaceful. The police force and the PRC-backed gangs are the ones doing the damage.

Last edited by Tomboy-; 08-15-2019 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
He hasn't been following, he was misleaded by some media.

My co workers witnessed police stations being attacked with bricks and arson outside this month. There are also many other incidents.
Yeah, many other fake incidents fabricated to cater to Chinese netizens to be against the protest, which honestly aren't needed at all. Hundreds or even thousands of HKers could die from a Tiananmen-style crackdown and people in China (and a certain Norwegian, btw) would still blame the protestors for being violent, lol.

Quote:
Do you think all the videos are fake? It is now more than two months and you still say the protestors are completely peaceful. If you don't trust the Mainland Chinese or Hong Kong people, you can ask the Taiwanese in HK what the young HK protestors did and how many times they were not peaceful since the start of June.
I certainly have seen many videos of protestors being beaten by the police and the PRC-backed gangs, including that female paramedic blinded by a rubber bullet.

And I find it comical that you would want me to ask Taiwanese ppl in HK about this. 70%+ in Taiwan support the protest in HK, fyi.

Last edited by Greysholic; 08-15-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-15-2019, 09:58 AM

1,136 posts, read 528,348 times
You miss many other true videos and eyewitnesses in HK.

I already know many Taiwanese support the protests in HK but many older pan blue Taiwanese don't support protesting by hurting people, destroying facilities built by taxpayers money and shouting rude Cantonese. Educated pan green Taiwanese like teachers also don't teach students in Taiwan protesting by violence. I know a Taiwanese professor teaching in HK and she doesn't support the violence of all sides in HK.

Most older politicians in HK including the opposition are against violence but the young protestors don't seem to listen to their advice.

Last edited by Tomboy-; 08-15-2019 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-15-2019, 10:20 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,080,955 times
Quote:
Yeah, many other fake incidents fabricated to cater to Chinese netizens to be against the protest, which honestly aren't needed at all. Hundreds or even thousands of HKers could die from a Tiananmen-style crackdown and people in China (and a certain Norwegian, btw) would still blame the protestors for being violent, lol.
Maybe we blame the protestors because we don't want another Tiananmen-style crackdown? You only seem to care about fighting to the bitter end, and not about actually achieving something.

Tiananmen square incident did not give Chinese people more freedom, violent or economic damaging protests will not give Hong Kong people more freedom, it will give them less.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Maybe we blame the protestors because we don't want another Tiananmen-style crackdown? You only seem to care about fighting to the bitter end, and not about actually achieving something.
Maybe you should blame the government instead.

I have noticed that you've always been defending the rapist instead of the victim. No wonder you had to leave Norway. You haven't answered my previous question about Norway under Nazi rule. Do you blame Norway for fighting back against the Norwegian campaign? Do you blame the Norwegian resistance?

Quote:
Tiananmen square incident did not give Chinese people more freedom, violent or economic damaging protests will not give Hong Kong people more freedom, it will give them less.
Yeah we've heard enough of this.

Quote:
many older pan blue Taiwanese don't support protesting by hurting people, destroying facilities built by taxpayers money and shouting rude Cantonese.
Probably because those older pan-blue Taiwanese are usually complete idiots.

Quote:
Educated pan green Taiwanese like teachers also don't teach students in Taiwan protesting by violence. I know a Taiwanese professor teaching in HK and she doesn't support the violence of all sides in HK.
Blahblahblah. What do you know?

Old 08-15-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should blame the government instead.

I have noticed that you've always been defending the rapist instead of the victim. No wonder you had to leave Norway. You haven't answered my previous question about Norway under Nazi rule. Do you blame Norway for fighting back against the Norwegian campaign? Do you blame the Norwegian resistance?
You mean I blame the protestors (victim) instead of China (rapist)? You do realize it is possible to blame both parties? Sure I want China to accept democracy in Hong Kong, but I can also blame the protestors for making China do the exact opposite. I do not expect chinese regime to act against its own interest, just because it is the right thing to do.

The Norwegian resistance actually cared about achieving something, they are not like you who think virtue signaling is more important than maintaining Hong Kongs autonomy.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:11 AM

Also Greysholic, one question since you mentioned rapists.

Lets imagine you have a teenage daughter who likes to go out and party. Your city has a problem with drug rape, she went out, accepted free drinks from strangers, got drugged, but a good samaritan prevented her from getting raped.

She still wants to accept free drinks from strangers. Would you then reccommend her to keep accepting drinks from strangers because it is not her fault if she get raped, or would you tell her that she should not accept drinks from strangers because it is dangerous?

If you say that you would tell her to not accept drinks from strangers, then why can't I tell Hong Kong protestors to not do actions that risk China sending in the military, and by extension destroying the freedoms that Hong Kong people enjoy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia