Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 11:57 PM

8,881 posts, read 8,496,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Hong Kong protestors need to think more long term, Xi will not stay in power forever, the next president of China could be more interested in liberal reform. But if Hong Kong is just another chinese province, then it is already too late.
Right. Because all democracies started by sitting around and waiting for a liberal-minded president to show up. Lol.

You are like a ****ing broken record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:15 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,092,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Right. Because all democracies started by sitting around and waiting for a liberal-minded president to show up. Lol.

You are like a ****ing broken record.
In most countries democracy was a slow progress, it did not happen overnight due to protests. Western countries tried your stupid tactics in the middle east, in Syria it led to a massiv bloodbath and in Libya it led to an overthrow and then the country broke into pieces and was ruled by warlords.

If you could choose between status quo and the protests ending, or chinese troops invading Hong Kong. Which option would you pick? My guess is that you will evade this question, because you think the fight is more important but you don't want to admit that you do not care about the Hong Kong people. If the fight leads to a much worse outcome, it does not affect you, and it makes it easier for you to blame China.

A lot of people, me included have sympathy for the protestors goals. But we have zero symphaty for people who think it is better to burn everything to the ground, if they do not get what they want.

Last edited by Camlon; 09-02-2019 at 01:41 AM..

Old 09-02-2019, 07:54 AM

3,979 posts, read 5,811,558 times
The Hong Kong protesters have no guns (at least not that I know of), no heavy artillery, no paramilitary training, no access to Carrie Lam or anyone in her cabinet, and contrary to what the Chinese media continuously states, no solid backing from any entity either domestic or foreign. They are no match to the PLA. Heck, even if the entire PLA garrison defects to the protesters that would not be enough. Beyond that, their actions are not disrupting the lives of Lam or anyone highly influential but those of the ordinary people. Until that happens, their actions will lead to nothing but self-destruction.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,819,924 times
Quote:
What kind of news are you watching? The police went inside the subway train and started beating up random people like two days ago.

And the Chinese are orderly people? Give me a break.
Yes, the Chinese and East Asians in general don't like riots, chaos etc. They are conservative.

I would be careful when making such accusations about the HK police beating random people. Those reports come from Western and pro-Western people.
There was also police violence against yellow vests and innocent bystanders in France, but who cares, it's the West, right?

Old 09-02-2019, 11:37 AM

30,920 posts, read 37,090,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I would be careful when making such accusations about the HK police beating random people. Those reports come from Western and pro-Western people.
I don't have a hard time believing those reports.

Quote:
There was also police violence against yellow vests and innocent bystanders in France, but who cares, it's the West, right?
I care very much. As I mentioned, we in Western countries are delusional about how free we really are. But I am probably in the minority with that opinion, so I appreciate your bringing up this point. At least you're not in denial like so many are.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:53 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,133,902 times
Quote:
What kind of news are you watching? The police went inside the subway train and started beating up random people like two days ago.

And the Chinese are orderly people? Give me a break.
According to rumors that I've seen one or two people were beaten to death by Hong Kong Police Force officers inside the Prince Edward station which is why it's been closed down since the night of 8/31.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:57 PM

That would be horrible.
But what do you mean by you have seen rumors?

Old 09-02-2019, 01:02 PM

What I don't quite get, why don't those that hate the current, let alone future (after the transition phase), HK so much emigrate to Britain or the West in general? I think they are naive if they think China will change just because of a part of the population of HK. It won't happen and since they can't seem to accept that HK is now China, why not emigrate?

Old 09-02-2019, 04:19 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,138,671 times
Quote:
What I don't quite get, why don't those that hate the current, let alone future (after the transition phase), HK so much emigrate to Britain or the West in general? I think they are naive if they think China will change just because of a part of the population of HK. It won't happen and since they can't seem to accept that HK is now China, why not emigrate?

I'm not really sure Westerners are going to be happy if a massive number of HKers immigrate to their countries. There are people who think the UK should have granted citizenship to all HKers but honestly, how exactly would White British people feel about that? HKers would make up close to 10% of the UK's population and this would make White British citizens extremely unhappy. Westerners who care about HK are a minority who probably don't make up more than 1% of the voter base at best and that's being generous. Any Western government that allows a significant number of HKers to immigrate would end up with a furious right wing populist backlash that would put the ruling party out of power immediately. If Westerners had to choose between allowing their country to admit 7 million HKers or the PRC pulling a Tiananmen on HK, almost all of them would choose the PRC massacring the HKers.

PS. This isn't just a Western thing but a worldwide phenomenon in general. Latin Americans right now are furious about Venezuelan refugees and South Koreans are also sick of the small number of North Korean refugees.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:35 PM

I think only maybe 1/4 would actually emigrate, maybe 2m max. The countries that keep accusing China the most, i.e. Britain and the US, should each take a million since they care so much about those radicals.

Another option for China would be expatriating those traitors who hate China, i.e. their own country, so much.

Last edited by Neuling; 09-02-2019 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia