Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:56 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
The main problem as a Singaporean in my life right now is I am still single without a partner...
Have you joined the SDN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 07:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Have you joined the SDN?
Joined some events .. but didn’t find any match ..

Old 08-16-2019, 07:06 PM

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...o-child-belief

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/pa...lection-defeat

This is the type of mundane and silly stuff Singapore Politicians say

Old 08-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
My wife’s cousin just bought a Ford Fusion and the total cost was about 90,000 US dollars. We usually stay in the Yew Tee area and it’s a pain getting downtown. Walk to the nearest bus stop. Wait 20 minutes. Bus makes a half dozen stops before arriving at the end of the line and another 10 minute walk to the MRT. Rush hour is a nightmare.
Makes better sense to sell yew tee porperty and move closer to town ? Just my 2 cents opinion.

The property can count as an investment too

Old 08-17-2019, 07:41 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
How many days does one need in singapore if they are going for the spicy crab? anything else to see? don't really need to shop or go to the amusement park.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:36 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I have now worked in Singapore for 5 years, and have an in-depth firsthand feel of the country. I have to say, on overall basis, they have made Singapore even better than America.

I looked up and saw that my rather average sized county in the South East USA is 3 times bigger than the size of Singapore. In fact the metro area of my city is bigger than SG. And a place like Jacksonville is also three times larger.

So how can compare a tiny area in the SE Asia with a huge country like USA is a mystery to me. A better option would be to compare small area countries like Monaco, Lichtenstein, Malta or Andorra to SG.

BTW, I love living in a vast country like USA to a tiny place like SG where everything is controlled by Lee and his party and criticisms of them can lead you to bad things happening to you. In USA you can call the POTUS an idiot in front of the White house and no one can arrest you or question you.

The first amendment is one of the great things about USA. You never realize its value until you lose it or move to a place that does not have it in full.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:56 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I looked up and saw that my rather average sized county in the South East USA is 3 times bigger than the size of Singapore. In fact the metro area of my city is bigger than SG. And a place like Jacksonville is also three times larger.

So how can compare a tiny area in the SE Asia with a huge country like USA is a mystery to me. A better option would be to compare small area countries like Monaco, Lichtenstein, Malta or Andorra to SG.

BTW, I love living in a vast country like USA to a tiny place like SG where everything is controlled by Lee and his party and criticisms of them can lead you to bad things happening to you. In USA you can call the POTUS an idiot in front of the White house and no one can arrest you or question you.

The first amendment is one of the great things about USA. You never realize its value until you lose it or move to a place that does not have it in full.

what happens when Lee dies?

Old 08-18-2019, 10:58 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
There are Americans who do indeed choose Singapore over America and have no regrets. I know several of them. There’s a guy named Bernie Utchenik. A guy from Detroit Michigan who arrived in the area originally as an oil rig worker.

He became a Singapore citizen. Married a local women. He and his wife own and operate Big Berne’s American Grille in a local food court. Also several retired American military men. Married local women and became Singapore citizens.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:18 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
^Eduardo Saverin.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:49 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Yes I used to describe Singapore as "just the upscale pockets of America". But you know with recent incidents in NYC (truck ramming into crowd), in LA (mass shooting), in SF bay area (Gilroy shooting), in Las Vegas (concert shooting), it seems even those upscale pockets of America are not immune to problems. I have to instruct my kids to avoid going to big gatherings such as sport games or concerts (they are getting very expensive anyway).

I never feel one bit unsafe or filthy on Singapore streets. In fact, our front door is never locked for convenience, just our room doors are locked (we still have TVs and other electronics stuff in the common area.)
Let's set this straight. NYC, LA, and Las Vegas are the big cities of America, and thus inevitably have a higher crime rate than masterplanned suburbs. Maybe those crimes you just mentioned take place in the classy areas of these big cities, but as a whole, NYC, LA, and Vegas as a whole are not upscale pockets of America, as they contain many ghettos.

What I meant by "upscale pockets of America" means cities that, as a whole, are very high income, very well-educated. Places like Irvine, California (Irvine has a significantly lower violent crime rate than Singapore!) or Fairfax County, Virginia, provide safety, cleanliness, and efficiency that rivals Singapore.

Ok, you may gripe about how Singapore's K-12 system far, far outperforms America's K-12, and that is true as a whole, BUT I remember a study saying that for PISA (you know, the most famous international math, science, and reading test) where, if you skimmed the top ten percent of the wealthiest US school districts, you would get an average result for Math and Science that easily rivals the likes of Japan and South Korea (but fine, Singapore's even higher than Japan or South Korea). Heck, even the the Science score for the state of Massachusetts as a whole beat South Korea and Hong Kong.

The reason why U.S.'s educational system as a whole far underperforms Singapore is because in the U.S., there is a far greater academic performance gap between rich and poor than there is in Singapore or many other Asian and European countries. You also have to take into account that in states like California the statistics are very skewed due to the influx of illegal immigrants' children, who have little to no knowledge in English and therefore inevitably fall behind in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia