Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 11:30 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times

Advertisements

There's a difference between ethnic minorities that are born in the USA compared to those who were born overseas and are recent immigrants.

Recent immigrants have to adopt to the dominant culture, but would seek out their own enclaves and find it easier to hang out with people with similar culture from back home. For a less diverse place like Iowa, this might also mean trying to seek out the handful of Asians who live there, trying to even talk or introduce themselves if there's a chance of them being from the same country or culture. They are already struggling to adopt to the mainstream culture. They often fail to understand or interact with other ethnic minorities.

Patriotism and cultural pride of the three main East Asian cultures (Chinese, Korean, and Japanese) are strongly emphasized, and come from largely homogeneous environments. And if you add your understanding of what Trump supporters say about immigrants from south of the border, then you can understand why other immigrants are more wary. What have they read in the news? That these asylum seekers make it more difficult for other immigrants to get to the USA? That getting a visa becomes more expensive or more difficult in other countries due to these people? That requirements for legal immigrants keep getting higher and higher... some of these statements/conclusions might not exactly be true, but some Americans cannot even differentiate between Central Americans and Mexicans, what more for recent Asian immigrants?

Don't be too hard on yourself. Birds of the same feather flock together, so people tend to seek out who are like them in places like Iowa where they see very few. Besides, based on your description, your look seem to be attractive to Asians, so that lady might be spiteful not because you did not speak Cantonese but rather that you didn't ask her out for dinner. OK, that's probably a no-no in your company, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 01:54 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
First generation Asian immigrants are usually poorly educated so it's not really a surprise that they are super ignorant and racist.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:03 PM

546 posts, read 570,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I Know some cool Chinese people but yes overall my experience with them has not been good. Not just Chinese but East Asians in general, specially Koreans. As a Hispanic myself, the most blatant racism I have experienced has been from Asians.
I myself am part East Asian and I can attest that East Asians are among THE MOST RACIST people. My Great Grandfather was disinherited for marying a Filipina. My Grandmother was Mestiza (Spanish-Filipino) and her family had no qualms marrying into Malay Filipinos, I have had teachers, friends and colleagues who are pure Spaniards or Europeans born in the Philippines where they didn't make it a big deal when they marry Malays, whereas my Great Grandfather's Chinese family where virtual Sinocentrists and they disinherited my ancestor.

Last edited by Selurong; 09-04-2019 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
First generation Asian immigrants are usually poorly educated so it's not really a surprise that they are super ignorant and racist.
Not really, depends on the Asian. Filipinos, Indians and Koreans who are first generation immigrants in the USA have higher Educational attainment and are richer than Common European Americans. Yet, Americans who only know one language, laugh at them for speaking with an accent while English is already their 3rd or 4rth language and they most likely have a higher income than them.

Anyway, this is not to discriminate the OP since that data implies he might not be as educated or rich as Asians or Europeans but lol I don't care about the genocidal Europeans or the racist East Asians.

Viva la raza! La Mestizeje es muy bien.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I think that many studies, though I cannot quote any specifically, show that the more exposure different races and ethnic groups have to other races and ethnic groups, the more tolerance there is.

I know that in Sicily, many people tend to be very racist. A relative of DH was telling us that the Chinese are everywhere, if you drive a half hour you will find a Chinese restaurant! And he wasn't happy about it.

Whereas here is Sydney we have so many Asians that many of us have some joining our families. One of our best friends, of German background has now daughter-in-laws of Chinese, Malaysian and Korean backgrounds. And only one who is Anglo Aussie. The last "Italian" wedding we attended was Italian/Cambodian.

It tends to take a generation for biases for and against newcomers to subside.
Chinese are utter hypocrites when it comes to immigration...

They flood the whole world with migrants but it's IMPOSSIBLE for one to migrate to China. Take for example the Youtuber Serpentzia, he's a lawyer who married a Chinese doctor, he has been living in China for almost a decade, yet, he hasn't even been given Chinese citizenship even when he married a Chinese. However, the Chinese expect everyone to accept their immigrants and give them citizenship. That's how bigoted Chinese are.

My brother-in-law, my sister's husband is a Filipino but his surname is German in origin.

Lol why is Australia doing that? Filipinos have been doing our darn hardest to Westernize Asia and contribute to Blanquiamento (Whitening) by Christianizing the vicinity and infusing some Spanish and Latin-American admixture in a region that's overwhelmingly Asian.

Yet, Australia is doing the reverse, browning their population, de-Christianizing and accepting paganization. At this rate, you would lose your Christian identity and light eyes in a couple of generations just like how America reduced it's rate of blue eyes from 1 out of 2 in the past century to only 1 out of 8 right now. But I don't care about that; Europeans in America and Australia deserve to be bred-out since they exterminated the Native Americans and Aboriginal Australians, but I don't want that to happen to Native Europeans though.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:23 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
They flood the whole world with migrants but it's IMPOSSIBLE for one to migrate to China. Take for example the Youtuber Serpentzia, he's a lawyer who married a Chinese doctor, he has been living in China for almost a decade, yet, he hasn't even been given Chinese citizenship even when he married a Chinese. However, the Chinese expect everyone to accept their immigrants and give them citizenship. That's how bigoted Chinese are.
I agree with you, just wanted to say that Serpentza is not best example, because he has become a China critic. If any chinese had said similar things they might end up in trouble with the police.

There is supposedly a path. First you need to get permanent residence, which Serpentza should qualify for, but I guess not because of his youtube channel. Thousands of people have gotten permanent residence, and they are not all rich people earning 500,000 a year. For instance this guy is quite ordinary. Permanent residence got offically implemented in 2004, but I only heard about people getting it after 2010 and it took a few years before ordinary people could qualify. People need to first get permanent residence before they can even think about becoming Chinese citizens.

Theoretically after you have gotten permanent residence, you should be able to get chinese citizenship, but I have never heard of a single example. Probably because the vast majority of the people who do get permament residence have no interest in getting chinese citizenship and the tiny minority who is interested is too small to pressure Beijing to give out citizenship.

Last edited by Camlon; 09-04-2019 at 08:50 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Not really, depends on the Asian. Filipinos, Indians and Koreans who are first generation immigrants in the USA have higher Educational attainment and are richer than Common European Americans. Yet, Americans who only know one language, laugh at them for speaking with an accent while English is already their 3rd or 4rth language and they most likely have a higher income than them.
Having attained a degree doesn't make one more educated. Superficially sure, but the education in Asian countries don't educate students on race and tolerance.

Quote:
Who would want to migrate to China anyway? You would have to give up your citizenship.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:11 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Yet, Australia is doing the reverse, browning their population, de-Christianizing and accepting paganization. At this rate, you would lose your Christian identity and light eyes in a couple of generations just like how America reduced it's rate of blue eyes from 1 out of 2 in the past century to only 1 out of 8 right now. But I don't care about that; Europeans in America and Australia deserve to be bred-out since they exterminated the Native Americans and Aboriginal Australians, but I don't want that to happen to Native Europeans though.
WTF? I was born in the States through no fault of my own long after the frontier era. It's pretty stupid and racist to wish for a group to be "bred out" because of a past they have nothing to do with... And you give the European nations who engaged in colonialism and are responsible for the geopolitical mess we all live in now a pass? Wow...

Old 09-05-2019, 07:57 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Re: China and citizenship. You can obtain permanent residency after 5 years of living here on a resident visa (Z, Q, S, etc). Though there is nothing that states that you must be married to a Chinese citizen, in practice, you basically have to be. I've known plenty of people with permanent residency who are married to a local but no one who hasnt been.

Citizenship is borderline impossible to get. The rare instances it is is given, it's usually in part because of some political or economic reason (a white British banker who had lived in HK for many years and was the former chair of a major bank was given citizenship along with his wife so he could work for the government's economics bureau). It is more commonly given to wealthy or influential ethnic Chinese than foreigners.

The Chinese are well aware of the benefits of Chinatowns over the last century and a half. Money flows back into China, and increasingly over the last few decades, it allows an avenue for the PRC to keep tabs on its (former or expatriated) citizens and push its own agendas in other countries. It has benefited well from this, and all the same that it tries to protect and patronize the Overseas Chinese community, it wants to make sure that the same things don't happen on their own shores, so it takes pains to ensure no "Americatown" or "Little Arabia" takes solid roots in its borders. The times where it's seemed close to happening, such as Little Africa in Guangzhou, it's shut down and deportations start. It is massively hypocritical, yes, but the PRC operates on a very firm ethno-nationalist bedrock where hypocrisy only exists when they are on the accused end.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:24 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Most FOB's or Chinese in China can't tell the difference between Hispanic and non-Hispanic whites by sight. However, because Mexican/Central/South American culture is percieved as placing less emphasis on education, that is a poison pill for Chinese.

If they think you are uneducated, they will avoid you and instruct their friends, neighbors, relatives, and children to shun you and your people. You are probably experiencing this attitude from mainlanders and HK people who have lived in America long enough to tell the difference and who have learned the stereotype that "Mexicans" don't care that much about schooling and education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia