Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 10:42 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,283 times

Advertisements

Mostly true for the Phillippines as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Shadow View Post
Singapore schools teach math and science only in English, any subject except Chinese language. Someone correct me if I got it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 07:34 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
Someone once said English is such a versatile language,it can be used to express science,literature,poety,more people should learn to speak English.
I agree

Old 07-14-2020, 06:32 AM

153 posts, read 110,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Someone once said English is such a versatile language,it can be used to express science,literature,poety,more people should learn to speak English.
I agree
Are you implying you cannot express science, literature, and poetry in languages other than English?

Old 07-15-2020, 12:06 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Everyone should learn programming langauges because they are more universal, lol.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:08 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Only one poster stated everyone should speak English or that English is some intrinsically better language. Filipino’s not on my radar of languages to learn at the moment as my friends who had lived there all moved out and are unlikely to move back and I myself am not from a Filipino background and the FilAm friends unfortunately do not speak Filipino with any frequency or fluency. I have nothing against the Filipino language, and I’m more than happy to learn more languages, but there’s a priority queue I have for that in terms of personal usefulness to me and personal interest. English isn’t even my first or second language and I have decent fluency in four languages and working knowledge of another three, so I don’t know why you turned this into a personal and baseless invective.

I asked this question as part of a general interest in languages and not because I like the idea of any global lingua franca supplanting other languages. My leanings are actually towards the opposite of that where I think languages and dialects have an inherent value to them that should be preserved. I essentially want to know where the lingua franca has unfortunately supplanted all others and nothing you stated has any relevance to the topic at hand.
I think the Netherlands is the role model. Their local language and culture are definitely well preserved, but most people speak decent English.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:55 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I think the Netherlands is the role model. Their local language and culture are definitely well preserved, but most people speak decent English.
Part of that likely stems from how very closely related Dutch is to English and the rather small Dutch language entertainment and media industries.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:57 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It's easy to speak decent English when a) your language is very similar to English and b) England is just a couple of hours away by train.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:09 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,283 times
All these are mainly expressed in the national language of China, Korea and Japan except in HK and Macau.
Larger countries not ruled by western powers use less European languages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post
Are you implying you cannot express science, literature, and poetry in languages other than English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia