Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 09:28 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,386,677 times

Advertisements

Met a young person who will be doing research in. .. some Stan country in Siberia.

I thought there might be someone here who had been there and could share their experience.

Not exactly a tourist destination but I think it would be a great experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 11:13 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,629,951 times
Siberia is just Russia version of Alaska and as a matter of fact , they aren't very far away from each other.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Siberia is just Russia version of Alaska and as a matter of fact , they aren't very far away from each other.

Yes. Thanks. I'm pretty sure she knows where it's located.

Have you been there?

Old 10-08-2019, 01:19 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,303,801 times
Quote:
and Alaska was once a Russian territory too

Old 10-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Yes. Thanks. I'm pretty sure she knows where it's located.

Have you been there?
I was stationed in Alaska for a year-and-a-half and made it as close to Siberia as the Russian military allowed us.......LOL....

Old 10-08-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I was stationed in Alaska for a year-and-a-half and made it as close to Siberia as the Russian military allowed us.......LOL....
Adack? Our drill instructors always threatened us with that.
I am wondering if their internet is limited.

Hopefully my friend will keep in touch during the year.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Adack? Our drill instructors always threatened us with that.
I am wondering if their internet is limited.

Hopefully my friend will keep in touch during the year.

I had a friend , when I was stationed in Cordova Alaska that was transferred from Cordova Alaska to adak and went AWOL....

Old 10-14-2019, 11:04 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,969,512 times
Quote:
Met a young person who will be doing research in. .. some Stan country in Siberia.

I thought there might be someone here who had been there and could share their experience.

Not exactly a tourist destination but I think it would be a great experience!
First of all the Stan countries of central Asia and Siberia are two different things, though geographically northern Kazakhstan is part of Siberia and most people who live there are also Russian, but other than that there is nothing that links them together.

I have never been there but I'm fairly knowledgeable so feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer, though you will get more answers on the European forum.

A common misconception is that most people think that Siberia is just the Asian part of Russia, however technically it's the inland areas of Asian Russia, the Pacific coast is referred to as the Russian far east.

The red and red-orange color is geographically Siberia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberia

Some people compare it to as the Russian version of Alaska, however that's not really the case. The Russian version of Alaska would probably just be Kamchatka, but not all of Siberia, in reality it's more like Western/Central Canada since Siberia has many large cities including Russia's third largest city, Novosibirsk with 1.6 million people.

Also some people have the misconception that since Siberia is in Asia then that means everyone there is Asian, however the vast majority of people there are ethnic Russians with many regions having over 90% being Russian. There are natives still around and in some places make up the majority or a large minority particularly in the various federal republics and other autonomous regions, such as;

The Sakha Republic is home to the Yakuts a Turkic speaking people making up 49.9% of the population, and is also the coldest inhabited place in the world. It's capital is Yakutsk with 311,760 people.

The Republic of Buryatia is home to the Buryats a Mongolic speaking people who make up 30% of the population. The capital is Ulan-Ude with 434,869 people.

The Tuva Republic is home to the Tuvans a Turkic speaking people making up 82.0% of the population. The capital is Kyzyl with 116,983 people.

The Altai Republic is home to the Altaians who are a Turkic speaking people making up 34.5% of the population. The capital is Gorno-Altaysk with 63,214 people.

The Republic of Khakassia is home to the Khakas a Turkic speaking people who make up 12.1% of the population. the capital is Abakan with 184,168 people.

The Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug is home to the Khanty and Mansi who are a Uralic speaking peoples making up 1.3% and 0.8% of the population respectively. It's administrative center is Khanty-Mansiysk with 80,151 people.

The Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug is home to the Nenets who are a Uralic speaking people making up 5.9% of the population. The Administrative center is Salekhard with 49,214 people.

As far as Tourist attractions go there is obviously the Trans-Siberian railway and Lake Baikal (deepest lake in the world) which you can find many English speaking vloggers making that journey across Siberia and stopping at he various cities and sites along the way.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:10 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,151,712 times
Geographically Siberia is similar to Northwest Territory of Canada which is more inland. Alaska is more coastal and in fact cities like Juneau's temperature reached even 80s in the past summer.

But actually Mongolia is much more colder than many parts of Siberia (which is north of Mongolia). For example, Ulaan Bataar is colder than Irkutsk. Though Ulan Bataar is located at 47 degree North Latitude, it is even colder than Yellowknife (capital of Northwest Territories) which is at 60 degree North Latitude.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:20 PM

93 posts, read 69,028 times
Pakistan= King of all Stans. Is this an understatement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia