Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 12:06 PM

801 posts, read 1,504,492 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 12:14 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,439,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What is it with Turks distancing themselves from West Asians and the Arab world, considering that most of Turkey is in West Asia and Turks are in general Middle Eastern culturally (music, food, religion)? It really irks me.

I come across a lot of Turks who try hard being "western" or "European" and would scorn Levantines, even looking down on them, despite the fact that many Turks still resemble Middle Easterners (barring Gulf Arabs). But in the same breath, despite their hostility towards Levantines, they will still be very Islamic and traditional in their views. Sorry, but that's an oxymoron and contradicting, considering that Islam is a very Arab religion itself.

Excuse my outburst, but I hang around in the anthropology forums and many Turks swarm in there, asking users how well they pass in Europe, thumbing up those who say "you pass well in Europe" and getting mad at those that say "you look more Middle Eastern". It's pretty hilarious and pathetic.
They don't want to be lumped in with Arabs because they are not Arabs. The same applies to Persians. Religion is a different matter altogether, though Islam came from the Arab world

Old 11-12-2019, 06:49 PM

3,018 posts, read 1,184,303 times
Quote:
What is it with Turks distancing themselves from West Asians and the Arab world, considering that most of Turkey is in West Asia and Turks are in general Middle Eastern culturally (music, food, religion)? It really irks me.

I come across a lot of Turks who try hard being "western" or "European" and would scorn Levantines, even looking down on them, despite the fact that many Turks still resemble Middle Easterners (barring Gulf Arabs). But in the same breath, despite their hostility towards Levantines, they will still be very Islamic and traditional in their views. Sorry, but that's an oxymoron and contradicting, considering that Islam is a very Arab religion itself.

Excuse my outburst, but I hang around in the anthropology forums and many Turks swarm in there, asking users how well they pass in Europe, thumbing up those who say "you pass well in Europe" and getting mad at those that say "you look more Middle Eastern". It's pretty hilarious and pathetic.
Not every country that lives in middle east are arabic countries. Thats what westerners dont get.

If my native language is as different from arabic like english language is as different from arabic, then I am no arab.

Just because Turks took a lot of words from arabic labguage does not make turkish an arabic language. Turkish language is as different from arabic like english language is as different from arabic. The difference is just that high if I am clear.

I dont understand sh*t when arabic is spoken around me. Nothing. So I am no arab. End of story. Thats all there is to it.

The only way I can cominicate with an arab is the international language, which is english. If they dont know english, then body language, which is also international.

Being middle eastern have nothing to do with being arab. Etnicity is a total different thing. Thats what you dont get.

Indonessia is muslim too. Do you call them arabs?

Or black africans who are muslim. Are they arabs too?

Religion has nothing to do with etnicitiy. Language is what seperates nations, not the religion.

I can be satanist, masochist, everything but that doesnt change my etnicity. My native language is Turkish, which is the language of my ethnicity

Last edited by The Grandeur; 11-12-2019 at 07:32 PM..

Old 11-12-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I think most just lump Turkey into the Arab countries and the Middle East. It is very much not considered European.
Turkey is a middle east country since it is in middle east.

What you dont get is, it is not only arabs that live in middle east. You couldnt get this part. You may have to work on this part next time.

My native language is Turkish, not Arabic. I dont speak the language of Arabs, therefore I am no arab. Simple as that.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:42 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,352,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Not every country that lives in middle east are arabic countries. Thats what westerners dont get.
At the end of the day, you are doing the same as the people you are criticizing.

Some people say Turks are Arabs.
You say westerners say Turks are Arabs.

Some people lump Turks and Arabs together.
You lump all the westerners together.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:04 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,827,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
They don't want to be lumped in with Arabs because they are not Arabs. The same applies to Persians. Religion is a different matter altogether, though Islam came from the Arab world
Who said the Middle East only belongs to Arabs? And I'm not calling Turks "Arab". The fact is, the Middle East is home to Assyrians, Armenians, Druze, Iranians, Mandeans, Kurds, Yazidis, and as well as Turks -- All NOT Arabs. It's a diverse place. Nobody 'owns' the region.

But Turks seem to feel pressure when they're lumped in with these people, even though they mostly cluster with them. Turks are, for the most part, a West Asiatic peoples, like these people I mentioned. Nothing to do with them being "Arabs". The Middle East isn't only home to Arabs. Just the same way Northern Europe is not just Swedes and Norwegians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
That's true. And I said this above. That's why you shouldn't feel distressed when people say "Turks are Middle Easterners". Because, somehow, Turks automatically think we're calling them "Arab" when we say Turks are Middle Eastern people. When that's not what we're doing.

Quote:
If my native language is as different from arabic like english language is as different from arabic, then I am no arab.
Nobody is calling you Arab. But Turkey is close to the Arab world, and it's in West Asia. Many Turks cluster close with Middle Eastern people, like the Kurds, Assyrians, Armenians and as well as Levantine Arabs like the Syrians and Lebanese. And that's not a bad thing.

Quote:
Just because Turks took a lot of words from arabic labguage does not make turkish an arabic language. Turkish language is as different from arabic like english language is as different from arabic. The difference is just that high if I am clear.

I dont understand sh*t when arabic is spoken around me. Nothing. So I am no arab. End of story. Thats all there is to it.
Again, nobody is saying you're an Arab or that Turks speak a language similar to Arabic. But you have genetic similarities to *SOME* Arab peoples, such as Levantines (not Kuwaitis, Yemenis or Saudis). I'm not talking about languages and linguistics (linguistically, Turkish is more like Mongolian than Arabic). I'm talking about genetics and ethnic clustering. You are not that distant from, say, Lebanese and Syrians. Some Turks would also be close to central Asians, and others to Southern Europeans. Turks are genetically diverse.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:59 PM

5,257 posts, read 3,960,172 times
It's also interesting how Turkey ruled most of the middle east in the recent past but no one associates their ruled countries with them (Greece, Israel, Bulgaria, Makedonia...) - the eastern european part of the Turkish empire are apparently "super white russians" (Bulgaria, southern romania, Makedonia), Greeks are just Italian playboys, while Israel are "americans".

While I don't like the Ottoman empire or any empire for that matter it goes to show that their geographical area of coverage is a reflection of the middle eastern culture and not to regions people are desperate to point all of the mentioned countries to, often done for political reasons.

In simple words: Greece is more middle eastern than it is German and European Union-like.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Who said the Middle East only belongs to Arabs? And I'm not calling Turks "Arab". The fact is, the Middle East is home to Assyrians, Armenians, Druze, Iranians, Mandeans, Kurds, Yazidis, and as well as Turks -- All NOT Arabs. It's a diverse place. Nobody 'owns' the region.

But Turks seem to feel pressure when they're lumped in with these people, even though they mostly cluster with them. Turks are, for the most part, a West Asiatic peoples, like these people I mentioned. Nothing to do with them being "Arabs". The Middle East isn't only home to Arabs. Just the same way Northern Europe is not just Swedes and Norwegians.

That's true. And I said this above. That's why you shouldn't feel distressed when people say "Turks are Middle Easterners". Because, somehow, Turks automatically think we're calling them "Arab" when we say Turks are Middle Eastern people. When that's not what we're doing.

Nobody is calling you Arab. But Turkey is close to the Arab world, and it's in West Asia. Many Turks cluster close with Middle Eastern people, like the Kurds, Assyrians, Armenians and as well as Levantine Arabs like the Syrians and Lebanese. And that's not a bad thing.

Again, nobody is saying you're an Arab or that Turks speak a language similar to Arabic. But you have genetic similarities to *SOME* Arab peoples, such as Levantines (not Kuwaitis, Yemenis or Saudis). I'm not talking about languages and linguistics (linguistically, Turkish is more like Mongolian than Arabic). I'm talking about genetics and ethnic clustering. You are not that distant from, say, Lebanese and Syrians. Some Turks would also be close to central Asians, and others to Southern Europeans. Turks are genetically diverse.
Syrians, really?

Syrians in Turkey look a lot different. I dont see one single turk that looks like a syrian.

When I see a syrian, it is obvious from a mile away.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:44 PM

5,490 posts, read 13,863,900 times
Turkey has immediate direct sudden close connections to Europe unlike the Persian Gulf(UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman). To Yugoslavian ex Republics, and even to Bulgaria, Romania(At least for Wallachia, Dobrogea regions Bucharest to Constanta. Not in Transylvania). I don't know about Russia, or Ukraine, although. Greece, and Turkey don't really get along. Yet that is another unique tangent point to prove that Turkey is with talks to Europe.

Even with this exact degree of separation, Turkey is still very Middle Eastern, and is entering Arabic labels. I really am surprised Arabic is not a second language officially taught in schools over there. Tons of Turkish people ought to know Arabic.

I just can't believe that Constanta Romania to Istanbul Turkey with airplane flight is essentially just only one hour away! Another galaxy from the real mainland Europe to Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia