Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 11:00 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Thailand has taken steps to get rid of the marginal ex pats. More money on deposit in a Thai bank and proof of medical insurance. Many of them moving into the Philippines. Guys in their 40’s or 50’s. They have a much higher mortality rate than their peer age group back in the US or Europe. Alcohol, drugs, motorcycle accidents and STD’s. And now reports of a new strain of HIV.
That's good to hear.

But I'll tell you one thing -- well two things -- that I don't respect about Thailand.

1. They spend an awfully lot of time trying to catch farangs breaking the law, but not much time (shall we say per capita) getting Thais to follow the law.

2. And that's because of a second important thing for farangs to know -- you are an open wallet to the Thai establishment, particularly the police, but almost any Thai governmental office. Bribery is a way of life in Thailand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 11:31 AM

32 posts, read 15,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Thailand has taken steps to get rid of the marginal ex pats. More money on deposit in a Thai bank and proof of medical insurance. Many of them moving into the Philippines. Guys in their 40’s or 50’s. They have a much higher mortality rate than their peer age group back in the US or Europe. Alcohol, drugs, motorcycle accidents and STD’s. And now reports of a new strain of HIV.
All true. But the new HIV strain is not Thailand specific. The newly recognized strain is classified as subtype L in the group M family of HIV-1. The strain has been around as long as the others but the new technology used has identified it now and thus is “new”.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:35 AM

32 posts, read 15,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's good to hear.

But I'll tell you one thing -- well two things -- that I don't respect about Thailand.

1. They spend an awfully lot of time trying to catch farangs breaking the law, but not much time (shall we say per capita) getting Thais to follow the law.

2. And that's because of a second important thing for farangs to know -- you are an open wallet to the Thai establishment, particularly the police, but almost any Thai governmental office. Bribery is a way of life in Thailand.
You will be asked money by farangs who have “lost their wallet” every now and then. Begbackers are also a sight even though not more so now. I think things have gone too far.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:55 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
What a pantload of self serving nonsense. Let's start with the division of expats. Those farang expats, who make great money working for multinationals are the rare exception. They represent about 1% of farang on long stay visas. I wouldn't really call them a community, but more like people that pay big premiums for Western style amenities, never really getting to know life outside of the central business areas of Sukhumvit and Si Lom. Ironic, that is also where the tourist trap adult places are. As far as the rest of us..there are many different divisions. Some of us make good money with our investments, some work online, some make varying amounts from pensions. The affordability was a draw. The ranks have thinned, and there has been tightening of the rules. The financial requirement of 800k has been the same for 15 years+, but they are no longer accepting affidavits from the US Embassy, and a few others. Liar letters...the ones that live pension check to check were caught out on that. Personally, I get about 2% in a government guaranteed bank, and add about a 10% appreciation vs. the USD this year. Thank you, Thailand. New insurance requirement..yes, for a fraction of what an Obamacare policy costs. Lots of different scenarios, but this is going to hurt the oldest expats the most, but why should Thailand pick up their unpaid bills. It is looking more and more like it is actually a better place for younger retirees, who can return to the US at 65 and get Medicare..Mortality rates for expats? Staying off motorcycles will greatly reduced your chances of accidental death. HIV/STDs? Is is safe to have unprotected sex in the West? Multiculturalism? About 93% Buddhist, and Thai Buddhism is the national religion, but yes, the tourist trap crowds can be, but even there, most will be monocultural Chinese. They have adapted technologies from around the world..but have integrated them into their own culture. Even Pizza Hut changed its sauce for Thai taste. I haven't paid a bribe in 22 years..obey the law and you won't need to. Most report schools and land offices being more of a culture of bribery than the police. I don't think paying general court in the US, 2-300 USD for a minor traffic offense makes you any better than giving a Thai cop 200 THB for your offence. Some great cops in the US, but way too many angry roidhead paramilitary types. Salaries and benefits are out of control, too. Mexican cops are worse than the cartels. Bombs in BKK? Rarely, and usually caught and face a military tribunal...
I suppose the weekly school shootings and monthly mass shootings in the US were just my imagination.
I couldn't care less if none of you retire in Thailand, but a number of you are making false assumptions and statements based on minimal firsthand knowledge of the place. Try to remember, who your allies are, when all else fails. For those critical of the young retirees in Thailand, It would be interesting to see what your monthly budgets look like, who your neighbors are, crime, healthcare, etc..might be as ugly as your last
shag, lol. Six years here, been visiting for 22..no regrets. Got invited to a NYE party in my village last night..the rules are simply:. drink, eat, try not to be a jackass, and chill..IOW, it would be very hard to do in the States.

Last edited by Hal Roach; 11-27-2019 at 11:35 PM..

Old 11-29-2019, 11:35 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
What a pantload of self serving nonsense. Let's start with the division of expats. Those farang expats, who make great money working for multinationals are the rare exception. They represent about 1% of farang on long stay visas. I wouldn't really call them a community, but more like people that pay big premiums for Western style amenities, never really getting to know life outside of the central business areas of Sukhumvit and Si Lom. Ironic, that is also where the tourist trap adult places are. As far as the rest of us..there are many different divisions. Some of us make good money with our investments, some work online, some make varying amounts from pensions. The affordability was a draw. The ranks have thinned, and there has been tightening of the rules. The financial requirement of 800k has been the same for 15 years+, but they are no longer accepting affidavits from the US Embassy, and a few others. Liar letters...the ones that live pension check to check were caught out on that. Personally, I get about 2% in a government guaranteed bank, and add about a 10% appreciation vs. the USD this year. Thank you, Thailand. New insurance requirement..yes, for a fraction of what an Obamacare policy costs. Lots of different scenarios, but this is going to hurt the oldest expats the most, but why should Thailand pick up their unpaid bills. It is looking more and more like it is actually a better place for younger retirees, who can return to the US at 65 and get Medicare..Mortality rates for expats? Staying off motorcycles will greatly reduced your chances of accidental death. HIV/STDs? Is is safe to have unprotected sex in the West? Multiculturalism? About 93% Buddhist, and Thai Buddhism is the national religion, but yes, the tourist trap crowds can be, but even there, most will be monocultural Chinese. They have adapted technologies from around the world..but have integrated them into their own culture. Even Pizza Hut changed its sauce for Thai taste. I haven't paid a bribe in 22 years..obey the law and you won't need to. Most report schools and land offices being more of a culture of bribery than the police. I don't think paying general court in the US, 2-300 USD for a minor traffic offense makes you any better than giving a Thai cop 200 THB for your offence. Some great cops in the US, but way too many angry roidhead paramilitary types. Salaries and benefits are out of control, too. Mexican cops are worse than the cartels. Bombs in BKK? Rarely, and usually caught and face a military tribunal...
I suppose the weekly school shootings and monthly mass shootings in the US were just my imagination.
I couldn't care less if none of you retire in Thailand, but a number of you are making false assumptions and statements based on minimal firsthand knowledge of the place. Try to remember, who your allies are, when all else fails. For those critical of the young retirees in Thailand, It would be interesting to see what your monthly budgets look like, who your neighbors are, crime, healthcare, etc..might be as ugly as your last
shag, lol. Six years here, been visiting for 22..no regrets. Got invited to a NYE party in my village last night..the rules are simply:. drink, eat, try not to be a jackass, and chill..IOW, it would be very hard to do in the States.
Overall a good post, but all of Sukhumvit is not one big sex market. The only place on Sukhumvit I ever ran into that was the area around Nana. And why was I in Nana? Well, I wasn't "in" Nana, but when I went to Bumrungrad Hospital for health services I couldn't really avoid the area.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:06 AM

BHI is highly rated but be aware, there is a huge Arab presence there. They do offer direct billing with many travel insurance companies. The naughty area extends out to Soi 39, and SoI Cowboy is also considered Sukhumvit. The multinationals and high end condos blend right in. Thong Lo is quite upscale. Not really in your face unless you are on Soi Nana. The high end hotels are much more restrictive of guests, but also more nervous about terrorism..Marriott seems to be prone, globally. Middle of the road is often the best choice in Thailand..no need to stay at a shared bathroom place, but no reason to stay at a four star hotel, either..paying 1.50 for a 20 cent bottle of water gets old in a hurry.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:12 AM

New heart valve center at Bumrungrad...https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1802584

Old 12-09-2019, 11:34 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Its one of the places I have yet to visit. I’ve been to all the US states and several Mexican states and several Canadian provinces. Going to the Bahamas in a couple weeks.

The lure of cheap beaches caught my ear for thailand, though. I’d love to retire to the beach when its retirement time, and if the cost of living is low enough, I could have more than just the beach, but the most important aspect of retirement location for me is a tropical beach that never frosts or gets colder than 50 degrees.

Manta, Ecuador might also be cheap, it just depends on how prices shape up over the decades.
I didn't like Thailand too much. It's one of those places that looks nice on paper and in pictures but you get there and it's only meh. I would not want to live in a 2nd or 3rd world nation, but that's me.

I thought Bangkok was dirty and grimy and if you're visibly white (farang) you will get ripped off. The tuk-tuks charge more if you are white. After about a week there, we figured out if you just hand the driver the local fare as quick as you can and walk away the driver usually don't stop to get the rest.

But it's pretty annoying. People are always trying to get money there from white people. A lot of scams going on. I think even living there it is something you'll always deal with. I was there 4 years ago. Perhaps it has changed.

You don't have freedom to speak freely about the govt. Talking badly the king or royal family is like a HUGE crime. For me, I don't want to live in a place like that.

Like I said, I can see the appeal for many. The beaches ARE beautiful. I would suggest def visiting for sure, IMO skip Bangkok (it's trashy) and just island/beach-hop.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:02 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I thought Bangkok was dirty and grimy and if you're visibly white (farang) you will get ripped off. The tuk-tuks charge more if you are white. After about a week there, we figured out if you just hand the driver the local fare as quick as you can and walk away the driver usually don't stop to get the rest.

But it's pretty annoying. People are always trying to get money there from white people. A lot of scams going on. I think even living there it is something you'll always deal with. I was there 4 years ago. Perhaps it has changed.
I was just in Thailand for most of December. I didn't have any of those experiences. I think that would only happen if you jump in any tuk-tuk that calls your name.

I never jump in any cab or tuk-tuk that is sitting and calling me. That's a good rule for ANY TOURIST area in ANY country. These days, everyone just uses Grab Taxis. It's impossible to get ripped off.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:36 AM

Correct, most Thais plus myself never use tuktuks. They usually ask for more than a metered cab would cost. Getting a Fannie to use a meter is a chore in the tourist areas. I walked through JSR yesterday and it sucked, but half the problem is just the general way idiot tourists behave. Street food sold at high prices, and the same trinket garbage sold Nationwide. The 80 degree January weather was nice, though. Got home for a local made can of Heineken and a great sunset from my balcony..of my paid for condo. Left a note on the washing machine about the 50 THB that was taken from me without credit..guy called me in broken English and it turns out he runs the internet shop next door, that was closed for the holiday..but was politely refunded today. That kind of thing can grate on you with the language barrier, but patience is the key. And I was the only farang at the NYE party....superb BBQ, laid back, by a mini wat, Riverside. Personally, the beach resorts drive me nuts, and are infested with too many pirates. Most of BKK is regular working class people.
Attached Thumbnails
Could I retire to Thailand at 42?-80794064_3172660719430322_4632460096633307136_o.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia