Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2019, 09:49 PM

32 posts, read 15,955 times

Advertisements

Is shopping electronics in Tokyo similar to the US or different? Are Japanese electronics shops expensive or is it because they sell more next generation products such as 8k cameras for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 05:25 PM

153 posts, read 112,558 times
I would say that the whole "futuristic" thing is a dated stereotype, and probably was started in the 80's when Japan was very much ahead of much of the world, but now with the aging population and slow economy, I would say technology is very comparable to the US, if not worse. This is a country where fax is common, debit cards are seldom used, and the vast majority of schools do not use or teach computers.
With that said, stores like Yodobashi Camera or Bic Camera are frequent in big cities and have pretty much all you need in terms of electronics, with a lot more choices for things like massage chairs or headphones, but a lot less choices with things like TVs and video games. Foreign electronics like Samsung and Xbox are not super widespread. TVs are on average way more expensive than in the West, and much smaller, however, I do not know why because Sony, etc. are located in Japan so this does not make much sense. Computers and computer parts are way more expensive and most families do not have a desktop, and just use iPhones for pretty much everything. Apple is king and costs the same or similar as the US, as far as I know. Android flagships like Galaxy are not very common.

Hope this answered your questions, I answered broadly because of the vagueness of the question. If you have any more questions, ask away

Old 11-25-2019, 10:21 AM

1,136 posts, read 532,999 times
The difference in tax rates in an US state and Japan have to be known first.
As a reminder, you can get a tax refund if you are visiting Japan.
Residents of japan have to pay taxes when they buy things.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:57 AM

32 posts, read 15,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post
I would say that the whole "futuristic" thing is a dated stereotype, and probably was started in the 80's when Japan was very much ahead of much of the world, but now with the aging population and slow economy, I would say technology is very comparable to the US, if not worse. This is a country where fax is common, debit cards are seldom used, and the vast majority of schools do not use or teach computers.
With that said, stores like Yodobashi Camera or Bic Camera are frequent in big cities and have pretty much all you need in terms of electronics, with a lot more choices for things like massage chairs or headphones, but a lot less choices with things like TVs and video games. Foreign electronics like Samsung and Xbox are not super widespread. TVs are on average way more expensive than in the West, and much smaller, however, I do not know why because Sony, etc. are located in Japan so this does not make much sense. Computers and computer parts are way more expensive and most families do not have a desktop, and just use iPhones for pretty much everything. Apple is king and costs the same or similar as the US, as far as I know. Android flagships like Galaxy are not very common.

Hope this answered your questions, I answered broadly because of the vagueness of the question. If you have any more questions, ask away
Thank you. It is very informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia