Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 07:59 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
So what are the numbers telling us so far? The number of newly infected seems to have either plateaued or maybe starting to come down.
No, not at all. Cases are rising every day at a pretty steady rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 01:17 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
No, not at all. Cases are rising every day at a pretty steady rate.
Have you looked at the recent data? It is clearly declining.
https://img1.dxycdn.com/2020/0212/19...441309-135.png

I do think China can contain it, because China has a quite sophisticated surveillance system. For instance if a shopping mall creates a lot of infections, then they know who has visited that shopping mall and can quarantine them. The gated communities and all the checkpoints also help controlling the spread.

But poor countries do not have that and it will spread like wildfire. Western countries will have to severly restrict travel and improve their own surveillance system if they want to prevent it from spreading in their own countries.

Last edited by Camlon; 02-12-2020 at 01:53 AM..

Old 02-12-2020, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Have you looked at the recent data? It is clearly declining.
https://img1.dxycdn.com/2020/0212/19...441309-135.png

I do think China can contain it, because China has a quite sophisticated surveillance system. For instance if a shopping mall creates a lot of infections, then they know who has visited that shopping mall and can quarantine them. The gated communities and all the checkpoints also help controlling the spread.

But poor countries do not have that and it will spread like wildfire. Western countries will have to severly restrict travel and improve their own surveillance system if they want to prevent it from spreading in their own countries.
Yeah, I read some data a few hours ago that indicated that the claimed new infection rate is slowing. Hopefully that's the case. Though, Xi also allegedly told the Politburo la st week that the measures to prevent infections had gone too far and would damage the economy so it could be manufactured numbers. They've been doing it all along so I wouldn't be surprised.

One way or the other, it's a slap in the face to all the idiots who said quarantines and travel restrictions wouldn't actually work, or that the US (of all the other nations who enacted travel restrictions) were overreacting at the same time China was doing exactly that. It's pretty much exactly what was needed to slow the spread.

One problem still remaining even if new infections are on the decline is that total numbers of infections are still on the rise. It's going to take awhile for them to go down to a point where it's safe to lift the quarantines and various restrictions. The propaganda machine has been on overdrive lately and the Global Times released an editorial saying that China's growth would remain at 5% for the quarter and wouldn't dip below 6% for the year. I have no doubt they will probably release numbers claiming that but the reality is that this has definitely further hurt the economy.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:31 PM

As a follow-up to yesterday's post, new cases and deaths have surged after the WHO was allowed access and China again amended it's definition of what constitutes infection (it had amended it to lower numbers in the previous days). 14k new infections and 242 deaths

Old 02-13-2020, 02:20 AM

Quote:
As a follow-up to yesterday's post, new cases and deaths have surged after the WHO was allowed access and China again amended it's definition of what constitutes infection (it had amended it to lower numbers in the previous days). 14k new infections and 242 deaths
In the previous days they only removed confirmed cases with zero symptoms. I think they removed about a 100, and it makes sense because there is a risk of false positive.

This is just them adding accumulated "clinical cases" where a doctor has said "looks like you have COVID, but you haven’t been tested yet." Today they added 1520 lab confirmed, which is a decline from yesterday. The number of deaths today was 107, the rest are deaths of "clinical cases" during the past month.

http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/dtyw/20..._2025581.shtml

In fact this release totally destroy the narrative that they are hiding the number to get the economy back on track. If they want to hide the number, why would they change the definition upwards? That WHO forced them to change it sounds highly unlikely, no other country includes "clinical cases" and WHO does not have the power to force China to do anything.

Last edited by Camlon; 02-13-2020 at 02:35 AM..

Old 02-13-2020, 05:51 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
In fact this release totally destroy the narrative that they are hiding the number to get the economy back on track. If they want to hide the number, why would they change the definition upwards? That WHO forced them to change it sounds highly unlikely, no other country includes "clinical cases" and WHO does not have the power to force China to do anything.
China is such a piece of **** country that everybody believes that they are hiding the number. It's their own fault that no one wants to believe them.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
China is such a piece of **** country that everybody believes that they are hiding the number. It's their own fault that no one wants to believe them.
I partly agree with this. China has been faking economic data for decades. No wonder people do not believe the Chinese numbers.

But I also know that Chinese are not very good at faking data. For instance the lack of noise in their GDP growth rate is a dead giveaway that they are faking the numbers. That is also why I do not think they are faking the number of infected, because such a cover up would be way too sophisticated. In addition, a cover up is not in CCPs long term interest.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
In the previous days they only removed confirmed cases with zero symptoms. I think they removed about a 100, and it makes sense because there is a risk of false positive.

This is just them adding accumulated "clinical cases" where a doctor has said "looks like you have COVID, but you haven’t been tested yet." Today they added 1520 lab confirmed, which is a decline from yesterday. The number of deaths today was 107, the rest are deaths of "clinical cases" during the past month.

http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/dtyw/20..._2025581.shtml

Quote:
I partly agree with this. China has been faking economic data for decades. No wonder people do not believe the Chinese numbers.

But I also know that Chinese are not very good at faking data. For instance the lack of noise in their GDP growth rate is a dead giveaway that they are faking the numbers. That is also why I do not think they are faking the number of infected, because such a cover up would be way too sophisticated. In addition, a cover up is not in CCPs long term interest.
A few days of a steady, exact 2.1% death rate isn't obvious enough?

Old 02-13-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
A few days of a steady, exact 2.1% death rate isn't obvious enough?
It has not been a steady 2.1%.
https://img1.dxycdn.com/2020/0214/49...722794-135.png

You seem to have got a lot of misinformation. I reccomend you to follow this source in the future.
https://ncov.dxy.cn/ncovh5/view/pneu...appinstalled=0

Last edited by Camlon; 02-13-2020 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-13-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
From the 26th to the 9th it's exceptionally stable for a virus in a dynamic environment, at around 2.1%, like I said. It's almost like the virus listened to exactly what the party said the rate was.

Quote:
You seem to have got a lot of misinformation. I reccomend you to follow this source in the future.
https://ncov.dxy.cn/ncovh5/view/pneu...appinstalled=0
I appreciate the link, but being accused of falling for misinformation by someone who generally laps up whatever propaganda that the CCP releases (which you admitted yourself not long ago is a habit of theirs, in admitting that they heavily doctor their numbers), I will continue to parse data from multiple sources.

Among closed cases, per official numbers, the current rate is 82% recovered, 18% dead. We will have to reconvene at the end of this to see what the final number was. It's quite late in China and I have to get to bed. My daughter hasn't been outdoors since the 2nd. Nearly all businesses around us are still closed. Be happy that you are not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia