Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 07:44 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,168,427 times

Advertisements

How likely are travel bans from China at this point? Seems like those of you who want to get out might want to do so sooner than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 08:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
How likely are travel bans from China at this point? Seems like those of you who want to get out might want to do so sooner than later.
Agree, but its not an easy decision. We live here, our homes are here, our jobs. It's going to be a lot of money to get an Airbnb someplace else and on top of that pay for our place in China. What about the kids and school?

Of course earlier is better to leave, but it's a difficult decision, one that my wife and I keep discussing throughout each day.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:58 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Agree, but its not an easy decision. We live here, our homes are here, our jobs. It's going to be a lot of money to get an Airbnb someplace else and on top of that pay for our place in China. What about the kids and school?

Of course earlier is better to leave, but it's a difficult decision, one that my wife and I keep discussing throughout each day.
Unless you are planning to leave permanently, I would not leave if I were you. Your family are much safer in your own apartment than in the airport or on a plane.

And if it gets out of control, it will get out of control everywhere. If it gets under control, then life will eventually return to normal.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:00 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,475,037 times
where's bettafish?

Old 01-27-2020, 10:10 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,633,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
US. In case you haven't seen my other posts, we would travel with our two young kids as well. So that is part of the concern.
Yeah, having young children can be difficult when trying to make such decisions. Unless, travel is essential, perhaps the best thing is to just stick it out in the US until things settle down. It will eventually. In the meantime, it's showing up here too primarily from travelers who have been exposed to it. It seems like there's more effort to control the problem, based on lessons from past epidemics and better technology. Let's hope it's enough to eradicate the virus. Perhaps a vaccine can be developed, but I've sort of gathered that could take quite a while. Best wishes with whatever you decide, and stay safe.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:32 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,692 times
Checked the website of the National Health Commission of China. Most English news only reported 4,515 confirmed cases. What is not reported in English but reported in Chinese is there are 44,132 cases under observation!

Here's the link with Google translate:

https://translate.google.com/transla...509079e6.shtml

Old 01-28-2020, 02:30 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Checked the website of the National Health Commission of China. Most English news only reported 4,515 confirmed cases. What is not reported in English but reported in Chinese is there are 44,132 cases under observation!

Here's the link with Google translate:

https://translate.google.com/transla...509079e6.shtml
There is also another 7000 suspected cases.

London’s Imperial College estimated that there were 1700 cases that showed symptoms by 12th January. These calculations was based on travel movement from Wuhan and the likelyhood that there were 3 international cases. To show symptoms at 12th of January, they would need to get infected at the beginning. If the number of infected doubled every 5 days, then there would be over 20000 cases by 25th of January.

But in my opinion, even 1700 was probably an underestimate, because the kind of people going to dirty wet markets and hospitals are old uneducated people. They are not the kind who is likely to go abroad and some of them would not seek medical help abroad. Hence it could have been 5000 cases already by the begining of January with a lot of people confusing it for a common cold.

We also know that the first case did not have any connection to the wet market and supposedly there are multiple patient zero. This disease could have started as early as October and was silently spreading for a long time. Once it became visible tens of thousands had already been infected and the health care system got overrun.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/20/coro...ew-cities.html

Last edited by Camlon; 01-28-2020 at 03:02 AM..

Old 01-28-2020, 02:38 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I wish that had been the case for us since like weeks ago.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:58 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Ugh I am very concerned. We travel to Asia in late February and will be in Shanghai, throughout Malaysia, Singapore and Taipei.
If face masks is a decent measure, will gladly wear those. If we have to cancel the trip that would be hugely problematic...
Same. I called my airline and they said we can’t cancel. If I don’t go I am out thousands of dollars

Old 01-28-2020, 05:19 AM

657 posts, read 245,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Same. I called my airline and they said we can’t cancel. If I don’t go I am out thousands of dollars
Better lose money than risk your life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia