Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 05:04 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,310,281 times

Advertisements

A lot of threads on Jakarta vs Manila vs Bangkok. They are all good in their own ways.

I stayed in South Jakarta recently, and I liked it. Good people! Very friendly and kind. For whatever shortcomings the city infrastructure and planning might have had, the people really make up for it.

I'll list the things I liked:

-PEOPLE! They are kind, and they like a good laugh and are quick to smile.

-SAFE! I felt very safe walking around Jakarta even at night.

-Nightlife, from what I experienced, was cool. I stayed in South Jakarta and the Mall had an amazing outdoor mall with live music. There was also great little places all over South Jakarta that I was able to explore. That reminds me of the next...

-LIVE MUSIC & Music in General - It's great. Indonesian has some amazing local music and just music playing everywhere - Personally I love the Indonesian Alternative music and the Jazz-sounding Indonesian stuff that I heard everywhere in taxis and bars and restaurants.

-I'll go back to the PEOPLE again....easy to talk with, and friendly, and nice.

-Food. Good food in Indonesia.

Negatives.
-Traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 09:14 PM

1,002 posts, read 915,951 times
thank you for visiting Jakarta, but at this time Jakarta is like a dead city there is no activity caused by the Covid-19

indeed the people here are always friendly to strangers
Can you compare Jakarta and Manila and how did you feel when you were in Bali?

Thanks

Old 04-06-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
thank you for visiting Jakarta, but at this time Jakarta is like a dead city there is no activity caused by the Covid-19

indeed the people here are always friendly to strangers
Can you compare Jakarta and Manila and how did you feel when you were in Bali?

Thanks
I like Makati & Taguig a lot in Manila. I like South Jakarta a lot in Jakarta.

Comparing the two, I like both. I do think Manila has a bit more of everything, but I felt way way way safer walking around in Jakarta even at night.

Bali, how did I feel. It's my 3rd time, it's always good. Avoid Kuta, and the rest of the island is fantastic.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:37 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,108,702 times
Jakarta in 2015 was ranked 46 out of 50 in sustainability out of the world's 50 largest cities, by the National Geographic Society.

Jakarta was ranked as having the world's worst traffic, by the Castrol motor oil company, based on analyzing TomTom device navigation data showing the number of stops and starts in traffic. The metropolis of 30 million people lacks a decent rail-based mass transit system. Most mass transit is by tuk-tuks and minibuses which stop in the middle of travel lanes to board and discharge passengers.

Jakarta was named the city with the world's worst air pollution, by the AirVisual company. Dubai was #2, and Hong Kong #3.

Jakarta is sinking by an average of 4 meters in the past 30 years. North Jakarta, the worst section, has sunk by 2.5 meters in the past 10 years alone. For this reason especiallly, the national capital is being moved to Borneo. But this will only make a slight dent in the problem, since most non-governmental functions and industry will remain in Jakarta.

I like how Indonesia seems to be unique in the Muslim world in having millions of women using Facebook. That does NOT seem to be the case in any other Muslim country where women are very rarely, or never, found on Facebook.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I like Makati & Taguig a lot in Manila. I like South Jakarta a lot in Jakarta.

Comparing the two, I like both. I do think Manila has a bit more of everything, but I felt way way way safer walking around in Jakarta even at night.

Bali, how did I feel. It's my 3rd time, it's always good. Avoid Kuta, and the rest of the island is fantastic.
Thanks to reply my comment enjoy your holiday

Old 04-06-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Jakarta in 2015 was ranked 46 out of 50 in sustainability out of the world's 50 largest cities, by the National Geographic Society.

Jakarta was ranked as having the world's worst traffic, by the Castrol motor oil company, based on analyzing TomTom device navigation data showing the number of stops and starts in traffic. The metropolis of 30 million people lacks a decent rail-based mass transit system. Most mass transit is by tuk-tuks and minibuses which stop in the middle of travel lanes to board and discharge passengers.

Jakarta was named the city with the world's worst air pollution, by the AirVisual company. Dubai was #2, and Hong Kong #3.

Jakarta is sinking by an average of 4 meters in the past 30 years. North Jakarta, the worst section, has sunk by 2.5 meters in the past 10 years alone. For this reason especiallly, the national capital is being moved to Borneo. But this will only make a slight dent in the problem, since most non-governmental functions and industry will remain in Jakarta.

I like how Indonesia seems to be unique in the Muslim world in having millions of women using Facebook. That does NOT seem to be the case in any other Muslim country where women are very rarely, or never, found on Facebook.
why I am not interested in your comments I'm also confused by your comment

Old 04-06-2020, 01:13 PM

27,739 posts, read 28,858,816 times
How are you traveling anywhere right now?

I thought everybody was cooped up inside their houses or apartments.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How are you traveling anywhere right now?

I thought everybody was cooped up inside their houses or apartments.
It was in February - two months ago.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:21 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,458,506 times
Seems like an interesting city. It would be one of my first choices of places to visit in SEA.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:07 PM

504 posts, read 603,120 times
Been there. Very few walkable areas and terrible traffic. At least Manila has BCG and Makati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia