Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:19 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberspazcadet View Post
Warning about the Philippines: The idiot Duterte has imposed draconian curfew restrictions on all people here. You cannot go anywhere without an official government pass issued by one of the lower level Barangay Captains (like an alderman). Anyone over 65 is under house arrest and cannot leave their residence, and will be blocked from entering a supermarkets to get food. Blocked from going to the bank to access THEIR FUNDS. This is under penalty of arrest as listed in the passes issued.Duterte who is currently under scrutiny by the World Court in the Hague for crimes against humanity involving possible involvement in extra-judicial killings ordered by him. Accused of running a "death squad" by other Filipinos he has left many grieving families in his wake. There is a U.S. State Department warning Citizens of illegal arrest and detention of foreigners living or visiting the Philippines. In addition, drive by motorbike assassinations are quite common here and rarely go solved. Much higher death rate here for Americans than in Thailand for example. The point is, you have NO RIGHTS here, not even basic God-given human rights of travel, commerce, even exiting the Country is now prohibited to the lack of flights and the blocking of travel to Cities that issue an "exit clearance" by Immigration in order to leave the Country. Is cheap, usually bad sex, from Filipinos worth this? I don't think so. I read today they are holding over 6000 Filipinos in quarantine in order to observe them to see if they are infected or not. This sounds very reminiscent of Nazi Germany, except it's applied to all here, not just Jews.
Sad to read this but not surprised given the current state of political affairs in The Philippines.

I have visited The Philippines 4 times throughout the course of my life; twice as a US Serviceman in the 80's and twice with my fiance within the past 6 years.

I always felt at home each time I visited. Being mistaken for a Filipino Mestizo always made it easy to fit in. The last time I was in The Philippines (2016), I got curious about the possibility of residing there on a part time basis with my partner. Fell in love with the relative tranquility of Palawan. Unfortunately, my curiosity did not progress beyond "curiosity" once Duterte got elected. There's no way I'd venture to live there under his draconian administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 12:44 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Sad to read this but not surprised given the current state of political affairs in The Philippines.

I have visited The Philippines 4 times throughout the course of my life; twice as a US Serviceman in the 80's and twice with my fiance within the past 6 years.

I always felt at home each time I visited. Being mistaken for a Filipino Mestizo always made it easy to fit in. The last time I was in The Philippines (2016), I got curious about the possibility of residing there on a part time basis with my partner. Fell in love with the relative tranquility of Palawan. Unfortunately, my curiosity did not progress beyond "curiosity" once Duterte got elected. There's no way I'd venture to live there under his draconian administration.

I don't like Duterte AT ALL, but what he's doing (probably not even his ideas) are working. There is mass testing going on. The number of recoveries is rising much faster than the number of deaths (only around 10 per day now). I'd rather have a president who takes it too seriously than one who doesn't take it seriously enough. I mean look at Brazil. Their president is crazy too, but in a different way. They have over 4,300 deaths- compared to the Philippines' 511 deaths. Brazil has exactly 2 times the population of the Philippines but more than 8 times the number of deaths. Mexico is in a similar situation, with a president who doesn't care. They have 1,300 deaths, 2.5x the number of the Philippines, even though their population is only slightly larger. The Philippines was hit much earlier than Mexico or Brazil. It had the first death outside of China, but still manages to have fewer deaths

Last edited by manolopo; 04-27-2020 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 07:10 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,969,392 times
Some serious leadership problems in Thailand. Ironically, the best guy they ever had, also was a part of extrajudicial killings. Life is pretty good, though, and a trip to the ER doesn't break the bank. No beer sales since the 10th, and it was extended till the 30th. If it goes beyond that, I think a few will set themselves on fire in front of the Palace. If I wanted to be around thousands of poor people named Pedro and Jose, I would have simply gone to Mexico.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:17 AM

316 posts, read 660,545 times
They need to open international flights LEAVING the country for dependents that are Green Card holders. They can't survive there on their own & need to get home!

Old 05-02-2020, 11:10 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
They need to open international flights LEAVING the country for dependents that are Green Card holders. They can't survive there on their own & need to get home!
A couple of weeks ago the local Philippines Consulate organized a flight for stranded OFWs, mostly cruise ship crews to get home. Perhaps the ire should be aimed at the expat/tourist governments and not a local Barangay Captain

Old 05-02-2020, 11:22 AM

546 posts, read 569,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberspazcadet View Post
All I can say form reading the replies is there must be many cowardly Filipinos reading this forum. You know the same filipinos who cannot stand up to a murderer and despot like Duterte. Well his days are numbered if the world court comes after him. He will be a prisoner in his own Country. No wonder we gave this Country back to them after we kicked their butts in the Phil/American war. They would all be speaking Japanese if it wasn't for freedom loving, non-cowardly Americans. The Philippines: slave outlet for the world.
Why are you saying that we are cowardly for not standing up to despots? Think about it, the Philippines has already removed 2 leaders in the 2 People Power Revolutions. How many leaders has Americans replaced via a revolution? You have been ruled by the Republican-Democrat Monopolies since the beggining and you dare to say to a people who have revolted and took down two corrupt regimes, as cowardly, hahahah, no.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:44 AM

102 posts, read 116,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
A couple of weeks ago the local Philippines Consulate organized a flight for stranded OFWs, mostly cruise ship crews to get home. Perhaps the ire should be aimed at the expat/tourist governments and not a local Barangay Captain

The SEXpats won't leave because they can't afford their lifestyle with only $1000/month. That would force them to live in a trailer trash. Lol

Many American SEXpats in Southeast Asia are poorer than the Mexican illegals in California. At least illegal Mexicans can afford to live in the US

Old 05-04-2020, 08:12 AM

546 posts, read 569,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bituingmaykinang View Post
Exactly. Americans were concerned about being flooded by brown people from the Philippines, on top of their existing black population and growing Mexican population.

Americans are so freedom-loving, they deprive black people of their freedom for so long.

America is more of a slave-loving country than a freedom-loving one. "Freedom" is their euphemism for "you are either with us or against us"
America loves Freedom only if it's theirs and love to wage wars, only if it's on other people's soil. But America is a way better alternative than China though.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:05 PM

18 posts, read 18,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
Why are you saying that we are cowardly for not standing up to despots? Think about it, the Philippines has already removed 2 leaders in the 2 People Power Revolutions. How many leaders has Americans replaced via a revolution? You have been ruled by the Republican-Democrat Monopolies since the beggining and you dare to say to a people who have revolted and took down two corrupt regimes, as cowardly, hahahah, no.
Ok I admit you have a point. But look at Americans' reaction to all the lockdown measures, which are MUCH less that what Duterte has imposed. They will not allow it as their numerous demonstrations and civil disobedience shows. American soldiers fought and died to protect the BIll of RIghts that does not allow these phoney restrictions. I say phoney because all the data show that CV is just another strain of the flu which we have almost yearly and do NOTHING about. Our Constitution guarantees Citizens the free right to travel, the free right to speak out minds and the free right to arm ourselves. The P.I. is good for copying everything else America. They should copy our Constitution and BIll of Rights also. The reason the P.I. is screwed up an so many Filipinos are suffering is in part due to their upbringing in which they are taught under penalty of severe shaming and social ostracization to OBEY authority. That is why things never change in the P.I. Sure they get another leader with delusions things will get better but they will not because it's a corrupt Country where the rich oppress the poor. The USA is also corrupt, no argument there but I think the level of corruption in the P.I. is much greater. We gave you your freedom from the Japanese and what does Duterte do in return? Impose a 24 hour curfew on senior American Citizens. For what? The relatively small number of CV deaths here? And for the FLU? Get real. This Duterte is a loose cannot, a loudmouth and and blowhard and he is stupid and ignorant. He is also allegedly a murderer for his involvement in the murders of thousands of Filipinos who were never tried or convicted. You need to start another revolution and get rid of him instead of following all his bull**** edicts. Thanks to the mod who is not censoring this thread so far.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:07 PM

18 posts, read 18,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

Glad someone else recognizes how bad Duterte is. Hopefully he will not be around much longer and I hope the World Court goes after him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia