Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider the people of Hong Kong to be Chinese?
Yes 20 76.92%
No 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 09:21 AM

175 posts, read 93,604 times

Advertisements

Yes,sure,they're ethnic Chinese people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 12:16 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Yes. And no matter how some in Hong Kong and elsewhere want to not be Chinese, they are Chinese.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:18 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
If Hong Kong people were travelling in USA or Europe and people referred to them as "Chinese," would they correct them and say "No, we are Hongkongnese"?
Most HK'ers I know have nothing against admitting they are Chinese ethnically and culturally, which is of course true. They are more likely to say that they are from Hong Kong; sometimes this may be because they are purposely differentiating between the Mainland and HK (either because they themselves don't want to be thought of as a mainlander, or because they worry about negative perceptions of China abroad whilst HK tends to be thought of in a more sympathetic light), or simply for the same reason that someone, asked where they are from, would say they are from London or New York... that answers the question of nationality, but also notes that they are from major cities with their own cultural nexus and identity, sometimes because they don't want to be associated with "ugly American" stereotypes.

I do know a handful of HK'ers who reject their Chinese identity totally but they are not common. If anything, in my experience, they are more likely to take the same view as Taiwanese people - that since their populations survived the latter 20th century without an internal, concerted destruction of Chinese culture, they are the "rightful" inheritants of the Chinese identity.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:38 AM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
So some people are confusing ethnicity with political allegiance. Hong Kong is Chinese but not necessarily in alignment with the policies of the Chinese government in Hong Kong or anywhere else in China proper.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:13 PM

387 posts, read 358,211 times
Hong Kong and Taiwanese people are ethnically Chinese, except for the small group of Taiwanese aboriginals or Taiwanese with aboriginal admixture. Politically, culturally and nationality-wise, maybe they identify more with their city-state or nation-state than they do with their ethnic group, but they are still Chinese. I also group other diaspora Asian peoples primarily by their ethnicity (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino, etc.) and not by the geopolitical boundaries they live in. For instance, the Koreans in China's Yanbian prefecture or Zainichi Koreans in Japan, I consider to be Korean, not Chinese or Japanese. If you were to ask me their nationality or citizenship, however, I would say they are Chinese or Japanese. Same goes for ethnic Germans in Alsace.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:25 PM

503 posts, read 598,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
Hong Kong and Taiwanese people are ethnically Chinese, except for the small group of Taiwanese aboriginals or Taiwanese with aboriginal admixture. Politically, culturally and nationality-wise, maybe they identify more with their city-state or nation-state than they do with their ethnic group, but they are still Chinese. I also group other diaspora Asian peoples primarily by their ethnicity (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino, etc.) and not by the geopolitical boundaries they live in. For instance, the Koreans in China's Yanbian prefecture or Zainichi Koreans in Japan, I consider to be Korean, not Chinese or Japanese. If you were to ask me their nationality or citizenship, however, I would say they are Chinese or Japanese. Same goes for ethnic Germans in Alsace.
It seems like the VAST majority of young people in Taiwan nowadays would say they are Taiwanese and not Chinese. How would you respond to that?

Old 05-01-2020, 08:39 PM

387 posts, read 358,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
It seems like the VAST majority of young people in Taiwan nowadays would say they are Taiwanese and not Chinese. How would you respond to that?
That's their choice. But if you asked me what their ethnicity is, I would say Han Chinese. If you asked me their nationality, I would say Taiwanese.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:25 PM

503 posts, read 598,122 times
Do you think most people from Hong Kong and Taiwan are distancing themselves from the Mainland Chinese because of the coronavirus? It seems like they don't want to be associated with the country that unleashed the virus across the entire globe.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:29 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
The interpretation is wrong. Chinese is not an ethnicity but a nationality. An Uyghur in Xinjiang is a Chinese national (even though he may wish otherwise) but ethnically he is not a Chinese as our fellow posters define.

Most residents in Hong Kong are ethnic Han. Whether they are Chinese nationals depend on the passports they hold.

So if one is asked overseas, the answers may vary. It may be:

I am a Chinese coming from Hong Kong, or
I am a Canadian residing in Hong Kong,
or maybe I am a Hong Konger.

P.S. But I have never heard anyone mentioning that I came from Hong Kong, China.

In fact, if you mail a letter to the City, it will be faster to arrive by just writing Hong Kong on the envelope instead of Hong Kong, China.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 05-03-2020 at 07:44 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 08:22 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,950,347 times
Not so simple as in the historical sense HK is China and the people remain of Chinese ethnicity. It is doubtful that China will ever allow a situation where HK could go it alone. Hardly unique though. Look at Catalonia or Kashmir as other examples of some similarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia