Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2020, 02:23 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,475,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejerry04 View Post
As far as I know spain is the most occupied in the philippines so they have some similarities in the language.

these need to be purged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 07:34 AM

105 posts, read 127,073 times
Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well the US never colonised the Philippines. It was a US territory. Spain colonised most of that country, then Phillipines would be have a much higher of Muslim, because by the time Spain discovered the Phillipines there was Muslim missionary activity in that region.
What is your point?

Old 12-16-2020, 03:35 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Right now the Philippines has the 22nd fastest growing economy among all nations and ranks 4th among nations with 100 million or more people. With the young population that is fluent in English I could see a lot of rapid improvements in the common years. My company has an outsourced united there that is likely to see a lot of employment growth. I review their work and they do a very good job.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:47 PM

"United"??? And why does 100 million help their case? Rapid improvement in what? What work do you review? What does "do a very good job" mean?

Old 12-16-2020, 03:50 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman3 View Post
"United"??? And why does 100 million help their case? Rapid improvement in what? What work do you review? What does "do a very good job" mean?

The previous post never said anything about 100 million people helping. Read the post carefully.

And the good news is, the birthrate in the Philippines has slowed down and will be below the point of replacement (2.1) within a decade. Right now, the birth rate is 2.54 births per woman. In 1980, it was 5.18. It continues dropping. When it's below 2.1, the population will stop growing, unless there's immigration

Old 12-16-2020, 03:55 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I doubt so. Look at some countries like Somalia. Never colonised but still faring poorly. I think the Philippines would actually have done better if they were colonised by the British. They might be like Hong Kong.
Somalia was in fact colonized by the Italians and the British.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:57 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotswag View Post
Filipinos online say that had the US never colonized them, they would become one of the richest countries in the world but because the US did colonize them, and never gave them their freedom, they are today one of the poorest countries in Asia and would probably remain this until the US ceases to exist.... is this true?
Depends--what exactly was the Philippines's average IQ going to be right now in this scenario? Because as Garett Jones writes in his 2015 book Hive Mind, average IQ is pretty important for determining a country's level of economic prosperity and economic potential.

I will say this, though--colonialism doesn't actually appear to have held back South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. Meanwhile, Haiti still appears to be a hellhole in spite of colonialism ending there over 200 years ago.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Right now the Philippines has the 22nd fastest growing economy among all nations and ranks 4th among nations with 100 million or more people. With the young population that is fluent in English I could see a lot of rapid improvements in the common years. My company has an outsourced united there that is likely to see a lot of employment growth. I review their work and they do a very good job.
Originally Posted by goodman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
The previous post never said anything about 100 million people helping. Read the post carefully.
And the good news is, the birthrate in the Philippines has slowed down and will be below the point of replacement (2.1) within a decade. Right now, the birth rate is 2.54 births per woman. In 1980, it was 5.18. It continues dropping. When it's below 2.1, the population will stop growing, unless there's immigration
Maybe you should read the post better. The OP is technically saying that having 100 million must be a good thing otherwise why did he mention it.

And the other questions still stand.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Depends--what exactly was the Philippines's average IQ going to be right now in this scenario? Because as Garett Jones writes in his 2015 book Hive Mind, average IQ is pretty important for determining a country's level of economic prosperity and economic potential.

I will say this, though--colonialism doesn't actually appear to have held back South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. Meanwhile, Haiti still appears to be a hellhole in spite of colonialism ending there over 200 years ago.
Maybe its a question of who the colonizers were. In the case of Haiti was it the French? And look at all the countries Spain went thru.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:28 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman3 View Post
Originally Posted by goodman3

Maybe you should read the post better. The OP is technically saying that having 100 million must be a good thing otherwise why did he mention it.

And the other questions still stand.

Are you slow?

The OP simply said that the Philippines had the 4th fastest-growing economy of countries with more than 100 million people. Nowhere does he/she suggest that having 100 million people is better. It's simply a population category used to measure countries with similar populations. It's to get a more apples to apples comparison, rather than comparing huge countries with small city-states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia