Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 07:57 PM

54 posts, read 30,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Because they realized they have no culture of their own, they forgot their pre-hispanic pre-islamic pagan roots, their country has bland flood because spanish occupation and foreign bedoiun influence, have a white savior inferiority complex, rave about how much european blood they have, and their country is named after a European king in a far off land.

Even bangladesh has more appeal. At least their food is better. Indonesia and malaysia do better and they still follow foreign bedouin ideology!

Change the name of the country and focus on science!

bring back the coconut curry!
Which is a shame because Philippines' many Indigenous culture is actually as interesting as Indonesian counterpart (both archipelago with different cultures everywhere). Atleast even though Indonesia is Muslim, they still cling to their old tradition and take pride in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 08:49 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,514,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darien25 View Post
The one who decide to ally and trade with the US are Philippines government (who are controlled by the cronies and political dynasty that benefit from US occupation), the one who complain about it today are the civilians. They also hamper foreign investment, by making outside competition nearly impossible with ridiculous policies/taxation and allow their own business/political monopoly in the country.

That will soon be communist china now

Quote:
Which is a shame because Philippines' many Indigenous culture is actually as interesting as Indonesian counterpart (both archipelago with different cultures everywhere). Atleast even though Indonesia is Muslim, they still cling to their old tradition and take pride in them.

If indonesia went back to the ways of majapahit and garuda, they would be more successful. The foreign bedoiun ideology hampers the free exchange ideas which is the key to prosperity. Aceh province has shariah law and punishments. Rest of indonesia is somewhat secular. The islands of king phillip of spain should take note. Indonesia was also able to stand of to china and give them a bloody nose.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
That will soon be communist china now

If indonesia went back to the ways of majapahit and garuda, they would be more successful. The foreign bedoiun ideology hampers the free exchange ideas which is the key to prosperity. Aceh province has shariah law and punishments. Rest of indonesia is somewhat secular. The islands of king phillip of spain should take note. Indonesia was also able to stand of to china and give them a bloody nose.
If it get rid of the core problem that is political dynasty, might not be that bad then lol

That's not possible today. If you ask this 100 years ago when the population didn't really have modern "religious" identity, then its not impossible. Atleast today they recognize Indigenous religion:

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pa...ly%20in%20Java.

Its not perfect but Im really glad they actually did. Now people like Batak and Dayak don't have to call themself "Hindu".

Aceh is actually famous for smoking weed and eating food with cannabis.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:47 PM

26 posts, read 26,612 times
Quote:
Nope that's why its called "dynasty"
That's their fault.

Quote:
Yes and no
Just admit it and say everything that the US does is bad.

Quote:
I don't think so, but the kids who went to these school know nothing at the beginning anyway. So they grew up Hail America!
Well duh. If you want to pacify a colony then you'll have to teach them good things about the colonizer, and the colonizer does not care whether that's good

Quote:
Yes Americans modernized Manila using Filipino money, then destroy it, then aid them to rebuild.
Duh! It was their city, of course they were going to use their money! And did Filipinos asked for money to rebuild it and justice for the dead?

Quote:
Nope it was their failure to meet the standard.
That's their fault.

Quote:
Now they're blaming Marcos for all their failure.
A lot of them consider him to be the best president.

Quote:
Im not gonna say much in this matter, but the US government mingle too much in certain parts of the world. Like Iraq and Syria.
Then why hasn't the world stopped them? Why hasn't your country stopped them?

What country are you from Mr. darien25?

Quote:
The one who decide to ally and trade with the US are Philippines government (who are controlled by the cronies and political dynasty that benefit from US occupation), the one who complain about it today are the civilians. They also hamper foreign investment, by making outside competition nearly impossible with ridiculous policies/taxation and allow their own business/political monopoly in the country.
This is what I was talking about! If that is the case, why aren't they shutting themselves off from the imperialist aggressors? Why hasn't the population revolted against this and put in power someone who is against such things? Why haven't they imprisoned, executed, or kicked out anyone who supports those things?

If they are not doing that, then it is their fault why they are such in a miserable position.

You sound like those Filipinos who just want to complain, get angry and act like victims as if that's going to save you.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Just admit it and say everything that the US does is bad.
Nah not everything, just the killing bit.

Quote:
Well duh. If you want to pacify a colony then you'll have to teach them good things about the colonizer, and the colonizer does not care whether that's good
Yes that's the way of imperialist, that's why some of them loved being colonized. First it was Hail America! then suddenly politic change and it turn to Hail Spain! The political dynasty used their Spanish ancestry as sort of legitimacy to be on top of the food chains.

Also unlike in Philippines where education is brainwash media, universities in British Raj, Dutch East Indies or British Burma actually became bastion of people demanding equality and independence.

Quote:
A lot of them consider him to be the best president.
And a lot consider him to be the worst now.

Quote:
Then why hasn't the world stopped them? Why hasn't your country stopped them?

What country are you from Mr. darien25?
Sigh if only it were that simple. We live in a world today where both US and China are trying to police the world with nuke.

Quote:
This is what I was talking about! If that is the case, why aren't they shutting themselves off from the imperialist aggressors? Why hasn't the population revolted against this and put in power someone who is against such things? Why haven't they imprisoned, executed, or kicked out anyone who supports those things?

If they are not doing that, then it is their fault why they are such in a miserable position.

You sound like those Filipinos who just want to complain, get angry and act like victims as if that's going to save you.
Didn't they put resistance and got slaughtered?? i thought you are aware of these things? the rest who didn't revolt during the war just want to live and move on.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:15 PM

1,900 posts, read 2,550,616 times
Is this really that hard of a concept to understand? I think the OP may know this but may have started this thread to get certain inflammatory reactions. No matter what happened during and after colonization, people generally don't like to be governed by a foreign entity. Tribalism basically. Don't know how many of these discussions people need to have, regarding whether certain countries were better with or without a colonial master. It's just so old and I always get the feeling people want to stir things up by saying the certain people were better off being under colonial rule.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Sigh if only it were that simple.
It is simple.

The world simply has to unite against them and threaten them that should they continue to do bad things, bad things will happen to them. The same unity that stopped Germany and Japan.

Quote:
Didn't they put resistance and got slaughtered?? i thought you are aware of these things? the rest who didn't revolt during the war just want to live and move on.
I'm talking about now.

Yes, I know they were slaughtered before but the Yankees aren't there anymore so there should be little resistance.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
No matter what happened during and after colonization, people generally don't like to be governed by a foreign entity.
Yet millions of them are in different countries, their lives and their families lives made better by this foreign entity.

Quote:
Don't know how many of these discussions people need to have, regarding whether certain countries were better with or without a colonial master.
As many as I like.

And many countries were better off under colonial rule, Hawaii is one of them. Without the Americans, you would have just ended up as another Philippines.

Quote:
It's just so old and I always get the feeling people want to stir things up by saying the certain people were better off being under colonial rule.
Not old for me and it is true, certain people were better off under colonial rule.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:39 AM

10,319 posts, read 15,180,545 times
Oh, no you didn't. lol

OP, there are things you notice but you don't say. This is true everywhere in the world. The exception is if you want to bother a local and my goodness, what a mouthfull reply will you get!

See, notice, and stay quiet. The best strategy regarding this type of situation.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
See, notice, and stay quiet.
I haven't got any notice yet and no notice will stop me from saying the things I want to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia