Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 06:41 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotswag View Post
I haven't got any notice yet and no notice will stop me from saying the things I want to say.
You didn't answer my questions I see.
At least:
What country do you live in?
What was your original user name before you got banned from this forum for the first time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I heard Manilla was second most ravaged capital city in WW2...
Yep. Especially the old Spanish walled district called Intramuros. The Japanese made their last stand there and fought to the death. They also massacred hundreds of civilians. Most of Intramuros was blasted into rubble by American artillery.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yep. Especially the old Spanish walled district called Intramuros. The Japanese made their last stand there and fought to the death. They also massacred hundreds of civilians. Most of Intramuros was blasted into rubble by American artillery.
Much more than "hundreds" - tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands. This includes mutilations and mass rapes as the IJA did in Nanking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_massacre

"Pregnant Filipino women were killed by having their bellies ripped open while the Japanese executed Filipino civilians trying flee...
The Bayview Hotel was used as a designated "rape center".[5] According to testimony at the Yama****a war crimes trial, 400 women and girls were rounded up from Manila's wealthy Ermita district, and submitted to a selection board that picked out the 25 women who were considered most beautiful. These women and girls, many of them 12 to 14 years old, were then taken to the hotel, where Japanese enlisted men and officers took turns raping them.[6]

Despite many allied Germans held refuge in a German club, Japanese soldiers entered in and bayoneted infants and children of mothers pleading mercy and raped women seeking refuge. At least 20 Japanese soldiers raped a young girl before slicing her breasts off after which a Japanese soldier placed her mutilated breasts on his chest to mimic a woman while the other Japanese soldiers laughed. The Japanese then doused the young girl and two other women who were raped to death in gasoline and set them all on fire.[7]

The Japanese went on setting the entire club on fire killing many of its inhabitants. Women who were escaping out the building from the fire were caught and raped by the Japanese. 28-year-old Julia Lopez had her breasts sliced off, was raped by the Japanese soldiers and had her hair set on fire. Another woman was partially decapitated after attempting to defend herself and raped by a Japanese soldier."

Old 07-09-2020, 11:20 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Let me guess, many Filipinos are not very fond of the Japanese. Hmm, wonder why since when they occupied the Philippines they were such angels to the Filipinos...

Humanity has done this at different times around the world and the end result is a general dislike of that invading nationality which is rooted on the actions when they were the dominators. This feeling remains in the society for a very long time, in certain parts of the middle east is a testament that it can lasts thousand of years.

Perhaps its not something that Americans are able to relate to since the USA and most Americans descend from people that was never militarily invaded by another and outright widespread abused them. Most can't relate being relegated to nobody in what is suppose to be your land, the one place on earth where your people are suppose to be welcome and are suppose to be "king". Some things need to happen for them to become relatable. Even reading the chapters in history books dealing with this period is uncomfortable for direct descendants of the sufferers and even those murdered. In general, American will never understand. Know about it, yes; read about it, yes; understand fully what it is to be a direct descendant of the abused, NO.

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-09-2020 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-09-2020, 11:31 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Thousands murdered in Manila. Think you are right. I was writing from memory and being cautious. Millions? debatable but then again I haven’t read on that topic for ages.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Thousands murdered in Manila. Think you are right. I was writing from memory and being cautious. Millions? debatable but then again I haven’t read on that topic for ages.
No not millions of course. The population of Manila at the time was only about a million I think. In the Philippines during the entire occupations however it might have been up to half a million. The Manila massacre is but one of many.

Japan did murder 3 million to 10 million civilians in WW2 during it's occupation of various Asian countries. China, Korea, Indonesia as well as the Philippines.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Let me guess, many Filipinos are not very fond of the Japanese. Hmm, wonder why since when they occupied the Philippines they were such angels to the Filipinos...

Humanity has done this at different times around the world and the end result is a general dislike of that invading nationality which is rooted on the actions when they were the dominators. This feeling remains in the society for a very long time, in certain parts of the middle east is a testament that it can lasts thousand of years.

Perhaps its not something that Americans are able to relate to since the USA and most Americans descend from people that was never militarily invaded by another and outright widespread abused them. Most can't relate being relegated to nobody in what is suppose to be your land, the one place on earth where your people are suppose to be welcome and are suppose to be "king". Some things need to happen for them to become relatable. Even reading the chapters in history books dealing with this period is uncomfortable for direct descendants of the sufferers and even those murdered. In general, American will never understand. Know about it, yes; read about it, yes; understand fully what it is to be a direct descendant of the abused, NO.
True for the most part. However don't forget America is a diverse population of immigrants, many from war torn countries at least from prior generations that likely did endure these horrors. It's not part of the US history as a society, but it's likely to be part of family history.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:56 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

Well there are few survivors of Japanese occupation still alive to tell the truth. Meanwhile in the years of workers going overseas Japan has been among the most desirable locations due to how post war Japanese treat people compared to other wealthy Asians and Arabs

Old 07-10-2020, 12:34 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Quote:
Yet millions of them are in different countries, their lives and their families lives made better by this foreign entity.
So what, irrelevant comment.
Quote:
As many as I like.
And many countries were better off under colonial rule, Hawaii is one of them. Without the Americans, you would have just ended up as another Philippines.
You must not have much of a life then. I've met a lot of Filipinos and never once has this subject been discussed. All your discussions must have happened online. Nice attempt at trying to get a reaction out of me but it won't work. Besides, Hawaii was never a colony, nor a country.
Quote:
Not old for me and it is true, certain people were better off under colonial rule.
You want to get a certain reaction out of people who respond and then stir up their emotions. This has been done countless times. Just calling you out on what your true intentions are by starting this thread. I'll let others decide if it's worth it to respond to your obviously inflammatory posts. Maybe you can start a thread on whether America or Australia were better off as colonies. Or would you not get the reaction you want from that.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Just calling you out on what your true intentions are by starting this thread. I'll let others decide if it's worth it to respond to your obviously inflammatory posts. Maybe you can start a thread on whether America or Australia were better off as colonies. Or would you not get the reaction you want from that.
I think he's moved on to the Canada forum to continue his trollish activities. Funny guy, mods will catch up with him soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia