Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 02:54 AM

26 posts, read 26,547 times

Advertisements

Independence has brought them nothing but corruption, poverty, terrorism, rebellion, poor quality of life, hunger, poor development, incompetent government, poor policy implementation, laws that are not enforced or are ignored, low wages, and this has been going on for 7 decades now.

Millions of them have fled to other nations to seek a better life, their country is very reliant on the remittances that these OFWs send over, they can't protect themselves from the Chinese, they still need foreign aid....

Countries like Japan that was heavily destroyed, South Korea which went through a civil war, Singapore which started poor, and even Vietnam have all over taken them or are nearly taking over them....

This is what independence has brought them? This is what they get angry over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 03:26 AM

657 posts, read 245,664 times
Because their pride is higher and yet they are not realize their poor neighbor country will surpass them within decade

You can see how proud if they can achieve small thing and brag it, meanwhile those neighbor can reach bigger achievement.

They are not look vietnam, thailand or indonesia
But they will look to higher level like singapore, japan, korea or US

Last edited by pag-pag; 07-08-2020 at 04:46 AM..

Old 07-08-2020, 03:29 AM

1,117 posts, read 844,849 times
I don't think most Filipinos get angry about that. Most Filipinos don't have hard feelings towards the U.S. or Spain because we got a lot of culture from both countries. Honestly, a lot of Filipinos probably wouldn't even mind being part of them again. The Philippines wasn't even a country before the Spanish came. President Duterte's bi-polar attitude toward the U.S. isn't a good barometer of how most Filipinos feel about the U.S. Even most of his supporters prefer the U.S. over China.

The Philippines is still one of the fastest-growing economies. Here's compared to other Southeast Asian countries. It's only slightly behind Vietnam's growth rate. Keep in mind, most of Cambodia and Laos' growth is from Chinese investment...

Vietnam may catch up in a couple years, but it's still behind in GDP per capita and HDI.

GDP Per Capita PPP of Southeast Asian countries. The Philippines is in the middle- ranked 6th out of 11 (East Timor isn't listed on that particular graph, but it does have a lower GDP per capita.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...untries_by_GDP

HDI in SEA countries. It's right in the middle (5th out of 11). The Philippines actually crossed the threshold into the "High Human Development Index" category, the second highest category.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...untries_by_HDI

On the entire Asian continent, it's also in the middle in HDI (34th out of 62)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

But I think Duterte will set this country back in both GDP and HDI the same way Marcos did. Everything was going good until Marcos. Duterte has 2 more years, so we'll see...

Last edited by manolopo; 07-08-2020 at 03:42 AM..

Old 07-08-2020, 04:08 AM

54 posts, read 30,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotswag View Post
Independence has brought them nothing but corruption, poverty, terrorism, rebellion, poor quality of life, hunger, poor development, incompetent government, poor policy implementation, laws that are not enforced or are ignored, low wages, and this has been going on for 7 decades now.

Millions of them have fled to other nations to seek a better life, their country is very reliant on the remittances that these OFWs send over, they can't protect themselves from the Chinese, they still need foreign aid....

Countries like Japan that was heavily destroyed, South Korea which went through a civil war, Singapore which started poor, and even Vietnam have all over taken them or are nearly taking over them....

This is what independence has brought them? This is what they get angry over?
This is why

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-F...g_Filipino.jpg

https://www.globalresearch.ca/genoci...ialism/5578125

Old 07-08-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Most Filipinos don't have hard feelings towards the U.S. or Spain because we got a lot of culture from both countries.
Most Filipinos I come across online blame the US for their problems and claim this culture you talk about is what's holding them back. I ask them how to get rid of it, none of them respond back.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Most Filipinos I come across online blame the US for their problems and claim this culture you talk about is what's holding them back. I ask them how to get rid of it, none of them respond back.
**Online troll farms. They dont represent what most Filipinos think

The Philippines has the most favorable view of the U.S. out of any country surveyed besides Israel

Filipinos will be more quick to blame Spain than to blame the U.S.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darien25 View Post
This is why
I know of those things already.

But as I have asked Filipinos numerous times, if the US has been evil to them all these times, why remain allied with them? Why trade with them? Why go there? Why let them in? Why have treaties with them? Why have any relations with them at all? Did the Philippines asked justice for those things? If not, why not?

It's the same problem I have encountered throughout the world, including with America's strongest allies, and when I ask them the same question, as predicted, none of them can answer me.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
**Online troll farms.
Anybody who doesn't share the same opinion as the rest is always a troll nowadays.

And I don't buy into those surveys. What's the sample size on those anyway? 1000 people? Where did they take the sample from? In general areas or areas where they wanted?

Pew can make a survey and make it look good, another organization can make another survey and the results will be different.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Anybody who doesn't share the same opinion as the rest is always a troll nowadays.

And I don't buy into those surveys. What's the sample size on those anyway? 1000 people? Where did they take the sample from? In general areas or areas where they wanted?

Pew can make a survey and make it look good, another organization can make another survey and the results will be different.
Ok well we’ll just trust “the Filipinos you talk to online” as the true most accurate sample. Thanks for your contribution!

Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 AM

54 posts, read 30,510 times
Quote:
I know of those things already.

But as I have asked Filipinos numerous times, if the US has been evil to them all these times, why remain allied with them? Why trade with them? Why go there? Why let them in? Why have treaties with them? Why have any relations with them at all? Did the Philippines asked justice for those things? If not, why not?

It's the same problem I have encountered throughout the world, including with America's strongest allies, and when I ask them the same question, as predicted, none of them can answer me.
I remember reading that they have an agreement with the elite class (who became modern day political dynasty), that allow the US to guide them and give them independence.

And Americans also spend 50% of their colonial budget in Philippines for education. They build schools and universities, and these curriculum include hail America! Also the economy they build and guide in Philippines, favor the mother country USA (basically Ph became dumping ground for American goods, while they only produce agriculture or mining stuff). Which also mean that they build no industrial foundation. Things like Railway is clearly behind, while its massive in British India, Japanese Korea or Netherlands Java:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...lways1909a.jpg

Here is some research as proof of my statement

https://books.google.co.id/books?id=...page&q&f=false

https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.ed...1%234_7-14.pdf

Then we have WW2, America "liberate" Philippines and help them rebuild Manila. Which they destroy by shelling Japanese garrison in the city. After independence Philippines basically relied on US aid and all their economy are built to rely on trade with USA. Its also important base during the cold war.

When Ph tried to industrialize later, they fail to compete with India, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and recently Vietnam. But this is not United States' fault of course (ok maybe a bit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia