Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2021, 05:49 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,077,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In the case of China and Taiwan reunification is very mild anyway because China is granting Taiwan the same status as HK and Macau. One country - two systems. So, at the end of the day, little would change for Taiwan, except for common Chinese defense and foreign politics. The Taiwanese could still keep their parliament and elect the government of their TSAR. The border would remain just like the one between China and HK. I.e. no free migration across the border. Etc. Etc. Etc.

In fact, that concept could even serve as the foundation for a Korean unification.
No one in Taiwan believe that after seeing what the CCP did to Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 06:09 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
This timeline can also be applied to South Korea.

And are you saying that the CCP did not win the civil war?

Your reason was that South and North want unification, and I just pointed out that they want the same kind of reunification as the CCP. They control the whole territory.
Officially, the civil war between PRC and ROC has not ended yet....... They have been in a long cease-fire. Either side can decide to resume.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Officially, the civil war between PRC and ROC has not ended yet....... They have been in a long cease-fire. Either side can decide to resume.
The same is true for South and North Korea.

But in practice, both wars ended a long time ago, clearly indicated by the CCP declaring themselves as victorious.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I am not saying Taiwan is comparable to Scotland. I am just saying Scotland is also an independence-seeking case, with its own circumstances. I'm sure it is worhty of discussion to Scottish folks; but this thread is about Taiwan.

I think Taiwan is not comparable to South/North Korea either, for the reason I stated above.

I think Taiwan has some similarity to Catalonia - but not exactly. Catalonia has not gone thru a civil war with Madrid.
Yes, we get it. You are just saying that you are incredibly ignorant about the situation. So please shut the **** up if you've got nothing valuable to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
China is very generous, it has never really cared about the limbo state of affairs. But when Taiwan thinks it has to change that unilaterally, it need not complain when China reacts accordingly.
China is very generous indeed - with the tankies they hire in Portugal.

Though I guess China isn't really that generous after all - considering how cheap Portuguese are for hire, lol.

Last edited by Greysholic; 11-08-2021 at 07:22 PM..

Old 11-08-2021, 07:20 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Maybe. We've got a mixed bag. Kept Hawaii, Guam and the Marshall Islands. Unloaded Philippines as fast as possible without immediately dumping it into authoritarian regimes. Taiwan has a ready democracy and it brings tech to the table.
The US acquired those territories decades ago. Since then the US has no territorial ambition towards other territories. It is mature enough to know that there are way smarter strategies to create an empire than invasion and coercion (Iraq notwithstanding), unlike China and Russia.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:02 PM

46 posts, read 26,205 times
Look at it in a different way. What if Chaing Kai Shek didn't end up near the ocean and instead of escaping Mao toward Taiwan, he and his troops fled west, or maybe north into some other part of China. Once there, he put up some walls or used natural defenses, and proclaimed that area, which was part of China before he and his followers moved there, to now be his independent country. Would we still be so eager to get involved and admonish China whenever they tried to remind everyone that the territory in question was "part of China" ?? I feel that Taiwan is still part of China, just like Lincoln considered the South to still be part of America years after they seceded. But as a country, we get involved, promising to render aid to Taiwan if they are threatened. So there are two problems: One is that we still need to try and honor the commitments we make to groups or governments, etc.. And two, Taiwan was and yes, it probably is still "part of China" though many would disagree. No, I don't like authoritarian governments any more than most do, but I don't feel that China will use Taiwan as a springboard to take over the world from. A complex problem, with no real good solution. The status quo is about the best everyone can hope for.

Last edited by KountryKarr; 11-08-2021 at 09:11 PM..

Old 11-08-2021, 10:42 PM

7,651 posts, read 4,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The US acquired those territories decades ago. Since then the US has no territorial ambition towards other territories. It is mature enough to know that there are way smarter strategies to create an empire than invasion and coercion (Iraq notwithstanding), unlike China and Russia.

I wasn't advocating a military takeover. I'm rather hopeful that the US has learned that blowing up backwards countries doesn't make them better. The Crusades sucked then and now.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Texas deciding to join the USA. They just decided to do it of their own free will...and gained a protector against an upset Mexico in the process.

Taiwan is a perfectly reasonable country with a healthy Democracy, educated populace and an innovative economy. I'd simply put it to a vote to the people. Yes and no are both acceptable answers.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KountryKarr View Post
Look at it in a different way. What if Chaing Kai Shek didn't end up near the ocean and instead of escaping Mao toward Taiwan, he and his troops fled west, or maybe north into some other part of China. Once there, he put up some walls or used natural defenses, and proclaimed that area, which was part of China before he and his followers moved there, to now be his independent country. Would we still be so eager to get involved and admonish China whenever they tried to remind everyone that the territory in question was "part of China" ??
In that case, he would lose to the CCP pretty fast, or in a less likely scenario, he would retake the mainland when it is weak, for instance during the great leap forward or the cultural revolution.

But this is all geopolitics, and not about why we defend Taiwan today.

Quote:
I feel that Taiwan is still part of China, just like Lincoln considered the South to still be part of America years after they seceded. But as a country, we get involved, promising to render aid to Taiwan if they are threatened. So there are two problems: One is that we still need to try and honor the commitments we make to groups or governments, etc.. And two, Taiwan was and yes, it probably is still "part of China" though many would disagree.
Taiwan is part of the Republic of China, not the People's Republic of China. When Chaing Kai Shek said Taiwan is part of China, he meant Republic of China.

Taiwan has never been part of PRC, and no wordplay is going to change that.

Quote:
No, I don't like authoritarian governments any more than most do, but I don't feel that China will use Taiwan as a springboard to take over the world from. A complex problem, with no real good solution. The status quo is about the best everyone can hope for.
It is very likely China will use it as a springboard, because Taiwan is not the only border dispute China has. Giving in to China means that the South China Sea, Senkaku islands and Indian border is next.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:12 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KountryKarr View Post
I feel that Taiwan is still part of China, just like Lincoln considered the South to still be part of America years after they seceded..
huh? LOL. There is no comparison there. If you want to use that example, it's that the Peoples Republic of China rebelled against the existing Republic of China. With your argument - all of China Mainland belongs to Taiwan.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:03 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
No one in Taiwan believe that after seeing what the CCP did to Hong Kong.
HK is doing fine again. I find it absurd that Westerners are complaining about China and HK getting rid of criminals that break the law, both HK law and national law. The US and Britain in particular have always supported those criminal forces in HK, and now they are frowning because HK and China are managing to drain that swamp.
HK still has all its institutions. Stop whining just because candidates that are colluding with anti-Chinese foreigners against their own country get banned from running for office. In every other country that would be considered normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia