Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 10:09 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
He is just trying to redefine attack.

What he means by defending Taiwan is to invade it to protect it against separatist forces.
The current (Bejing) Chinese government never governed Taiwan before. The previous central Chinese government which governed Taiwan from mainland China was the Qing Empire before 1895AD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 11:45 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
The current (Bejing) Chinese government never governed Taiwan before. The previous central Chinese government which governed Taiwan from mainland China was the Qing Empire before 1895AD.
Their logic is something like this
- Qing Dynasty got Taiwan taken away unjustly
- As ROC lost the civil war, PRC is the rightful heir of Qing Dynasty.
- As PRC is the rightful heir, territory unjustly lost by Qing dynasty belongs to the PRC. Hence, Taiwan belongs to the PRC.
- China has let Taiwan rule itself but got them to agree that they are part of China
- Hence, if Taiwan no longer wants to be part of China, China has the right to invade and defend its territory.

I normally answer that Qing territory does not belong to the PRC, because that is main logical fallacy of the PRC thought on Taiwan. Germany had no right to retake territory it lost in WW1, and China certainly do not have the right to take territory Qing dynasty lost over a 100 years ago.

And yes, the PRC has never governed Taiwan before, and made zero contributions to Taiwan. They have no valid claim to Taiwan.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:08 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Ah, so that's the national security issue that the two Michaels were jailed over... I see. How benevolent of the CCP to allow them to save face by not divulging their sinister plans.

Careful, Canada. Next time, not so lucky.

Oh, CCP just hasn't played their trick card yet. They have writings of claims from the Shang dynasty and plan on claiming the Vancouver region next as this was wrongfully taken from them.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:31 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Chinese citizens have been advised to stock up on food. Speculation that it is in prep for an invasion.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:19 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, you understand it the way you want, others understand it the way I meant it...
Maybe you can explain how your self-congratulatory/self-described "Democracy" in China is working for Peng Shuai?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/asia...i-missing.html

Old 11-19-2021, 05:42 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
China is a lying bully. They make false claims of territory and have border disputes with most of their neighbors. Their nine dash line claim of historical rights of much of the surrounding sea has been rejected by the international community. Their illegal claim of Taiwan has been rejected as well. If they invade Taiwan, I am afraid the USA under the Biden Administration won't intervene. China knows that Biden will kowtow to them, so they have been even more belligerent lately. Recently the Chinese pirate navy attacked Philippine supply ships.

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/s...-b1959919.html

Old 11-19-2021, 09:44 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
China is a lying bully. They make false claims of territory and have border disputes with most of their neighbors. Their nine dash line claim of historical rights of much of the surrounding sea has been rejected by the international community. Their illegal claim of Taiwan has been rejected as well. If they invade Taiwan, I am afraid the USA under the Biden Administration won't intervene. China knows that Biden will kowtow to them, so they have been even more belligerent lately. Recently the Chinese pirate navy attacked Philippine supply ships.

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/s...-b1959919.html
I don't see any indication whatsoever that Biden will "kowtow" to China. Why would he? He hasn't been. A big part of the reason we pulled the troops back from Afghanistan was in case of the eventuality of a conflict over Taiwan. China was plenty belligerent under Trump; Xi's ambitions won't pause or be limited by the administration of any other country. He almost certainly sees the window of opportunity to achieve his goals in his lifetime closing, and so no matter what's going on, short of the rest of the world acquiescing to China, they will become more belligerent.

From today:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...ligence-report

Last edited by 415_s2k; 11-19-2021 at 10:02 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 09:57 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Chinese citizens have been advised to stock up on food. Speculation that it is in prep for an invasion.
A few Chinese friends have messaged me over WeChat in the last couple weeks to express their concern over this. I honestly think it has much less to do with the possibility of an invasion, which honestly shouldn't have much of a bearing on food production, and more to do with a COVID outbreak against China's "zero infection" policy, supply chain issues, an energy crisis, and record rainfalls and flooding threatening and destroying crops, among other issues.

One problem is that Chinese media is tasked with convincing the people that everything is swell, as prosperous as ever, the government is in control as always, and there is nothing to worry about. To an autocratic strongman, an admission that they were unable to prevent flooding, are struggling with supply chains, etc, is an admission that he has less than absolute control, which is something that is unacceptable. In some ways, they probably find it preferable for there to be whispers about being on the cusp of an invasion - implying that the military is strong and poised to strike fearlessly at a moment's notice - than it is to admit that there is a domestic economic crisis unfolding.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:51 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Why does today's PRC always not mention Deng and the arm of the communists that actually built up the country?

I've got a pretty good idea on how the system works. Like many businesses we expanded into China. I've done business there many times. But hey I'm a foreigner.

Let's ask someone who would really know. Say Jack Ma....how much influence do you think you have over your democratic communist system? Jack, it's just a question. Influence starts with free communication, right? Why are you crying and begging me to leave you alone? Don't you believe the banking system, sitting atop billions of loans about to go bad in real estate deals, has any room for improvement? Really Jack....none whatsoever?

Well, I guess he wasn't much help. Say...where'd he go anyway?

Someone like Ma should not have influence, he is kind of a parasite and bigmouth. Being a bigmouth is kind of taboo in China. He is too young to understand the bigger picture. The Chinese government has its own banking experts, they will do what is right for the country...

Quote:
Irrelevant fake elections do not illustrate how people feel as people have no reason to participate. Especially when the opposition is not participating because the elections are meaningless.
Not participating in elections is just stupid, especially when they make such a fuss about democracy. Actually, it is undemocratic because you want to force your opinions on others using blackmail.

Quote:
Having benevolent leaders is not democracy, as they can refuse to listen and people will have to revolt to get rid of them.

In fact it is very common for dictators to try to listen to the people, but eventually you will get a bad leader or a crisis that makes the leader stop listening to the people and run the country into the ground.

They next paragraphs are off topic, so I won't respond to it. Please stay on the topic.
Like in other countries, Xi was elected and reelected. He didn't make himself leader. If the members of that body within the Chinese system no longer think Xi is the best man for the job, they can get rid of him the next time he is up for reelection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I like chinese people, I even dated a couple but I don't like the ccp and the trolls they pay to spread their twisted sense of reality.

Taiwan is not part of china. They do not want anything to do with an oppressive murdering lying stealing regime.

China has become a bully in south east asia. Countries and companies are realizing china is no longer a good place to do business. China's words and promises are meaningless. The ccp greatest fear is the people rise up and demand accountability. Starving people have nothing to lose.
Oppressive, murdering, lying, stealing regime? Lol, take your medication. What you think about the Chinese government is just a reflection of the propaganda you have been fed for decades.

Your views are unrealistic. China continues to be a great place for doing business.
China's words and promises are much more reliable than the US's words and promises.

Starving people?! Dream on, there is more hunger in the US than in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
China has stated they will consider occupying Taiwan by force.

“We make no promise to give up the use of military force and reserve the option of taking all necessary means” against Taiwanese separatist activities and “outside forces” that interfere with reunification, he said.https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...4aAn53EALw_wcB

BTW most Taiwanese will not support a Communist lead government on their island. Sure they can be open to reunification but not with the present political party in China. Only when the mainland China is a democracy there will be more support for Taiwanese to reunify with the mainland.

But China remains a one party Authoritarian state and it is highly unlikely that the Taiwanese will embrace that party enmass.

You mention about the racist paranoia, yet how do you explain there was not so long ago border fighting between China and India? Plus China has territory claims in a part of Japan, as there are islands Japan will not give up even though China has claimed it is part of China?

BTW even if China gets hold of TAiwan, what will stop them from claiming territory in parts of Japan, India and beyond?
That's silly because after unification Taiwan would continue to be separate. Beijing does not plan to implement its system on the island. China is not authoritarian, no matter how often you repeat it.

India has always tried to steal land from China. Nehru's salami slice policies led to the war decades ago. Read the book India's China War by Neville Maxwell, which is based on the classified Henderson Brooks-Bhagat report.
And Modi repeats Nehru's mistakes. The border conflicts are not China's fault at all.

And Japan? Japan agreed to hand back a disputed island to China after it lost WWII. But it never did.

China's claims have been the same ever since ROC times. China does not add claims to its short list.
Unlike what people in the West think China is a reliable, consistent country. It doesn't do u-turns like the US does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Maybe you can explain how your self-congratulatory/self-described "Democracy" in China is working for Peng Shuai?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/asia...i-missing.html

She was spotted at the weekend, on two occasions, at a tennis tournament and in a restaurant.

Old 11-21-2021, 05:56 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Not participating in elections is just stupid, especially when they make such a fuss about democracy. Actually, it is undemocratic because you want to force your opinions on others using blackmail.
Not participating in fake elections is not stupid. It shows that you think the elections are fake.

And no one in the west are making a fuss about implementing fake democracy like in Hong Kong, we want real democracy where elections change who leads the state or country.

Quote:
Like in other countries, Xi was elected and reelected. He didn't make himself leader. If the members of that body within the Chinese system no longer think Xi is the best man for the job, they can get rid of him the next time he is up for reelection.
You gave us a long talk about how it is meaningless to elect your leaders, and now you suddenly think China has real elections.

But please, explain to us in detail how normal people can join together and vote out Xi Jinping. If I get no answer to this question, I will call you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia