Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 09:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
LOL

Yes, it's better that no one be allowed to express their opinions or grievances, especially if they could reflect negatively on leadership. Jfc
That's the point. It doesn't make sense for people who have never had any access whatsoever to that tennis player to go online and speculate on her fate. If she was missing, her family surely would have reported her missing, then it's a case for the police to investigate. And the alleged sexual abuse is a case for the courts to decide, not for the mob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
As Biden would say: "come on man....". Get serious. There is increasing distrust among westerners, particularly with the Peng Shuai situation, not because of backstabbing and smearing, but because the PRC has a HISTORY of "disappearing" people that embarrass the government, only for them to reappear and recant their accusations.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/23/asia/...red/index.html
There is also the laughingly obvious faked email and the staged "proof of life" video with them repeating the current dates over and over.
It's not against Chinese People, but it's government.

"Dahlin, a Swedish national who co-founded a Beijing-based NGO that provided legal aid and training to Chinese lawyers". Really?!
Sorry, but when I read something like that it is very clear to me why the Chinese government cracks down on those people. They sound just like the fake Uyghurs that are being brainwashed and radicalized by Western secret services and pseudo-NGO's. The word NGO these days has long become a red flag.
Russia is also cracking down on such people and NGO's, and rightly so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
No, I said the elections are fake, because it has zero chance of changing any leaders or policies because the electorate only has 22% of the vote.

What is even the point of the election, if it can't affect who is in power?

The CCP have made lots of u-turns, such as 1 child policy and housing.

This is not true, the majority don't know their local candidates and they don't bother to vote. I know, I am in China.

And secondly, how does this empower the people? Right, as you admit the local politicians don't have much to say. It is a system designed to give elites power, which is not democracy.

Being dependent on the elites being benevolent and select another leader or reverse an unpopular policy is not a democracy.

Democracy means that the people have the authority to deliberate and decide legislation. It does not have to be done through elections, but they need to have the power somehow. If they don't, it is at best a benevolent dictatorship.
No, China does not make u-turns, it evolves. They didn't switch from the 1-child policy to a 10-child policy. That would be a u-turn. They merely softened the limits on children per family. Now it is three in rural areas and two in cities if I am not mistaken.
Not to mention that the 1-child policy was from a time when the communist party was still subject to malign foreign influences. In this case to that of the Club of Rome, Alvin Toffler, Malthusians and Transhumanists (aka eugenicists).

Whether you really are in China as you claim or not, you are wrong when you claim "This is not true, the majority don't know their local candidates and they don't bother to vote. I know, I am in China."

There is a new video from a New Zealander today where he explains how Chinese democracy works and why the West is wrong with its silly statements such as Biden's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9gspYfdR2o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 10:03 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I don't know if Ma was right or wrong about the banking system. All I know is he said something about it, in a speech, not actually doing anything and now his former company, which had been the poster boy for achievement in China....had the State actively attacking it like a giant game of middle school bullying.

As for silencing, my aunt has her own radio stations. She can play whatever she wants that's allowed by the FCC....which are some rather loose reins. If she plays, I think Biden sucks the big one, nobody's going to suddenly start litigating the hell out of her stations.

His company is under attack for legal reasons. And not only his company, others as well. It is about illegal monopolies etc. Just like Google in the US, Alibaba etc. are giant companies and a threat to democracy and the people. Ma and the like need to be pruned.
I wish we had the same guts here in the West.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
I don't know if Ma was right or wrong about the banking system. All I know is he said something about it, in a speech, not actually doing anything and now his former company, which had been the poster boy for achievement in China....had the State actively attacking it like a giant game of middle school bullying.
Wow you totally don't know the whole story. Try googling "Ant Group" as a start.

China government will never allow capitalists to control the country, unlike in the US. This is determined by the nature of the government. Many people don't like that, but others do.

It is true that the legal system is not quite transparent and that needs improvement.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:31 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,077,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, China does not make u-turns, it evolves. They didn't switch from the 1-child policy to a 10-child policy. That would be a u-turn. They merely softened the limits on children per family. Now it is three in rural areas and two in cities if I am not mistaken.
You clearly don't know what is going on in China. It is a 3 child policy and all fines are removed, so in practice it is more than a 10 child policy. Just a few years ago it was a 1 child policy, a clear u-turn as it takes decades to see the effect.

And you did not even address the u-turn on housing. Just a few years ago, Xi promoted house investment to boost growth and prices almost doubled.

Quote:
Whether you really are in China as you claim or not, you are wrong when you claim "This is not true, the majority don't know their local candidates and they don't bother to vote. I know, I am in China."
Lol, I can ask pretty much anyone I know or anyone on the street in China and they would not know anything about their local candidates. Many has never voted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...dream.amp.html

Quote:
There is a new video from a New Zealander today where he explains how Chinese democracy works and why the West is wrong with its silly statements such as Biden's:
It would have been easier for everyone if you had just posted the CCP script here.

But the arguments are beyond stupid, such as "look, we got minorities in Congress" and "it says people, so it must represent people".

Democracy means "people power". That means people can overrule the elites somehow. But in China, they can't.

Last edited by Camlon; 11-23-2021 at 09:41 PM..

Old 11-24-2021, 11:25 AM

7,651 posts, read 4,608,655 times
Quote:
His company is under attack for legal reasons. And not only his company, others as well. It is about illegal monopolies etc. Just like Google in the US, Alibaba etc. are giant companies and a threat to democracy and the people. Ma and the like need to be pruned.
I wish we had the same guts here in the West.
If something becomes an illegal monopoly, law is applied. A company can be broken up and then the new companies go along their way.

A share of Standard oil still gave you rights to many of the top US oil companies today. It didn't set out to destroy them. In turn, more people could develop in the oil industry and energy got better.

The original AT&T was broken into baby bells at the regional level and a new era of competition was ushered in. In turn, telecommunications improvement leaped forward and we went from the standard AT&T roll dial phone everywhere to widespread smartphones.

I'd love to see Alphabet broken up...not because I hate them, but because it would give competition back to the sector, which in turn will make it better.

With Alibaba, you don't have the State coming and breaking up the company to reintroduce competition....you have widespread condemnation and forcing by law people to not use its products. You have people working there vilified. That's ego, not law. That's the paradox of communism. There is no competition in communism. There's only the government. That becomes the fatal flaw. Communism can't adapt as quick as capitalism can.

Seriously, just give it 20 years and China will have dropped from the pinnacle of achievement to behind on all counts. If it holds it together 50 years, the world will look at it like it does North Korea or Cuba. Some weird backwater where talent is locked in to keep it from fleeing and hopelessly behind in everything.

The government has played pretty smart from Deng's time on. A lot of people have been lifted up and out of poverty....but the golden goose is about to be slaughtered for its meat. It's a shame. I rather enjoyed visits to China. But, like the Ming dynasty burning its treasure fleet...sometimes one can't help but watch as a rival makes a series of heinous mistakes....relegating the entire country backwards.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:39 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,315,149 times
Quote:
I wonder if Taiwan would ever want to join the United States.
There is then the Treaty of San Francisco of 1952 issue, remains unsolved up to today since the chaos of the world situation back then. Taiwan remains an unresolved disputed territory after Japan renounced all claims(since Japan only wanted to use Taiwan as a military occupation anyways) it was never returned to China officially(if it had been it would had been officially be granted control to the PRC(or Mao) in Beijing and not the ROC Nationalists(Chang Kai Shek) in Nanjing/Taipei since the ROC ceased to exist in 1952)Apparently the ROC and PRC alike for all these years since try to avoid stirring up or opening this can of worms this likely causing today's confusing situation. Thus the PRC/CCP always stopped short of retaking the island by force despite all their threats to. I guess if push comes to shove international courts would likely make an emergency intervention to interpret the Treaty of San Francisco and rule whether to officially either rule Taiwan as a province of the PRC running under the sovereignty of the CCP of Beijing maybe as a Special administrative area or a foreign jurisdiction/territory which is most likely the US(As Japan technically surrenders to US so if no receiving country should defacto turn to US0. I bet the PRC does not want to risk rolling the dice on this neither does the ROC Nationalists or the pro independence folks. I severely doubt they will rule Taiwan an independent Sovereign country.

Interestingly I heard somewhere the US offered to grant Taiwan US territory status and allowing them to use US dollars
back in 1952 which was declined even though people in Taiwan almost worshiped the US dollar. I always curious at what really was going on? And Taiwan followed US Daylight Saving time schedule same as the US until 1959.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 11-24-2021 at 04:47 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 02:25 AM

7,651 posts, read 4,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
There is then the Treaty of San Francisco of 1952 issue, remains unsolved up to today since the chaos of the world situation back then. Taiwan remains an unresolved disputed territory after Japan renounced all claims(since Japan only wanted to use Taiwan as a military occupation anyways) it was never returned to China officially(if it had been it would had been officially be granted control to the PRC(or Mao) in Beijing and not the ROC Nationalists(Chang Kai Shek) in Nanjing/Taipei since the ROC ceased to exist in 1952)Apparently the ROC and PRC alike for all these years since try to avoid stirring up or opening this can of worms this likely causing today's confusing situation. Thus the PRC/CCP always stopped short of retaking the island by force despite all their threats to. I guess if push comes to shove international courts would likely make an emergency intervention to interpret the Treaty of San Francisco and rule whether to officially either rule Taiwan as a province of the PRC running under the sovereignty of the CCP of Beijing maybe as a Special administrative area or a foreign jurisdiction/territory which is most likely the US(As Japan technically surrenders to US so if no receiving country should defacto turn to US0. I bet the PRC does not want to risk rolling the dice on this neither does the ROC Nationalists or the pro independence folks. I severely doubt they will rule Taiwan an independent Sovereign country.

Interestingly I heard somewhere the US offered to grant Taiwan US territory status and allowing them to use US dollars
back in 1952 which was declined even though people in Taiwan almost worshiped the US dollar. I always curious at what really was going on? And Taiwan followed US Daylight Saving time schedule same as the US until 1959.

The Treaty of Taipei established peace between Japan and the Republic of China. The rest I'm not sure what you're talking about. The communists on the mainland attempted to rewrite history 20 years later with their own peace treaty.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:46 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Quote:
That's the point. It doesn't make sense for people who have never had any access whatsoever to that tennis player to go online and speculate on her fate. If she was missing, her family surely would have reported her missing, then it's a case for the police to investigate. And the alleged sexual abuse is a case for the courts to decide, not for the mob.
Someone REALLY does know how the CCP police work. Nothing is done unless the CCP folks wish for.
Evidence means nothing. Filing any sort of complaint will put those into prison.

Maybe someone should read up on CCP police in China.

Old 11-27-2021, 07:55 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post

Part of the confusion on the legal status of Taiwan is all the alternating and variety of treaties and agreements that occured during and after WWII, one can simply pick and choose which one favors the argument:
1943 Cairo Declaration: Agreement with the allies that all terriroties including "formosa" should be returned to the ROC.
!945 October: ROC accepted Japanese surrender on Taiwan, expelled all Japanese citizens and military. Military Occupation by ROC.
1951 Treaty of San Francisco: Simply a formality on the renouncement of Japanese claim on Taiwan. It did not make any determination on who would administer Taiwan.
1952 Treaty of Taipei: Formal peace treaty between the ROC and Japan. Fuzzy legal language and although it again did not make any literal determination on who "owns" Taiwan, it declares that all Chinese citizens and property in Taipei belong to ROC.
1972 Japan-China Joint Communique - Japan enters diplomatic relations with PRC.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:26 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Part of the confusion on the legal status of Taiwan is all the alternating and variety of treaties and agreements that occured during and after WWII, one can simply pick and choose which one favors the argument:
1943 Cairo Declaration: Agreement with the allies that all terriroties including "formosa" should be returned to the ROC.
!945 October: ROC accepted Japanese surrender on Taiwan, expelled all Japanese citizens and military. Military Occupation by ROC.
1951 Treaty of San Francisco: Simply a formality on the renouncement of Japanese claim on Taiwan. It did not make any determination on who would administer Taiwan.
1952 Treaty of Taipei: Formal peace treaty between the ROC and Japan. Fuzzy legal language and although it again did not make any literal determination on who "owns" Taiwan, it declares that all Chinese citizens and property in Taipei belong to ROC.
1972 Japan-China Joint Communique - Japan enters diplomatic relations with PRC.
I just want to add the Three Joint Communiqués made by China and US governments in 1972, 1979 and 1982, respectively.

Some highlights about Taiwan issue:

1st
The United States formally acknowledged that "all Chinese on either side of the Taiwan Strait maintain there is but one China".
The use of the word "acknowledge" (rather than "accept") is often cited as an example of the United States' ambiguous position regarding the future of Taiwan.[

2nd
The United States recognized that the government of the People's Republic of China was the sole legal government of China. In addition, the United States government declared that it would end formal political relations with the Republic of China ("Taiwan") while preserving economic and cultural ties.

3rd
The United States did declare its intent to gradually decrease its sale of arms to Taiwan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Communiqu%C3%A9s

The US also issued the "Six Assurances" to Taiwan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Assurances
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia